Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Could lose my Man card, but today USWNT-soccer/futbol World Cup Final

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,168
I realize soccer in the US is a niche sport and when you apply the women moniker it gets even less play. However, today is the day for focusing on the USA.  USA vs Japan- 7 PM EDT-Fox broadcast.  And guess what-no commercial breaks during the run of play.  Charge your glasses and go USA!
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'll have the NASCAR race on one TV and the soccer match on the other. Might have a sore neck by the end of the match...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • No man card lost from me.  I've watched every game.  I support the USMNT and USWNT!  I have seen both teams play in Nashville. They are great and the games are really fun to watch.

The Yanks Are Coming!  Go USA!
    Nashville, TN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I plan on watching it.  Many people in the US learned to hate soccer.  It's actually an exciting and complex sport if you learn about it.  I do hate the infernal horns that crowds sometimes have.
    I'd be all over watching the soccer but I have a wall of paint I have to watch dry. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2015
  • lousubcap
    @nolaegghead- Truth be told, I grew up in a small town about 25 miles from the recent big news prison break-out in upstate NY.  Schools so small that we played soccer in the 60's-no football.  Always part of my life-and both my sons as well.   Knees regret that decision now but wouldn't trade.  Go USA.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    We'll have it on for sure - man cards are for Girl Scouts!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    This may be the best shot ever at winning it all. The defense is spectacular, almost, if not, historic. Size, experience and grit. They get a chance for revenge tonight against Japan, a team that gave them trouble in the past.
    I am hoping they bring home the 'ship tonight.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Morgan Brian grew up on the island have to watch her play. Screw Brian France & what he has done to NASCAR
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I played soccer in Germany from '73 to '81, then in the US.  I played in the both the German and American leagues.  I was on an American all-star league that played in the German leagues.  We were about average, but when we played in the American European championship, we crushed everyone - unscored upon.  (in our age group).

Last time I played organized soccer was in College Station, we would party hard the night before and everyone would be puking at some point through the game.
    I played soccer in Germany from '73 to '81, then in the US.  I played in the both the German and American leagues.  I was on an American all-star league that played in the German leagues.  We were about average, but when we played in the American European championship, we crushed everyone - unscored upon.  (in our age group).

Last time I played organized soccer was in College Station, we would party hard the night before and everyone would be puking at some point through the game.
    Sure you are not a British soccer fan? Oh wait, they party hard throughout the game and all week before and after, they puke pretty much non-stop when they are not fighting. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    @Skiddymarker - Now that's funny! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2015
    Saw a great report on Roots Sports regarding what needs to be changed with the sweet game before North Americans accept it. These were not my views, just the ones reported. 
    1. If it is a timed sport, use a stadium clock. Do not add stoppage time, simply stop the clock when required throughout the match. 
    2. More officials, maybe two referees that can cover the whole field. Some form of penalty for diving. Another set of eyes is always good.
    3. Mark where throw ins and free kicks are to be taken. Do not allow players to place the ball or throw it in from where they feel it should be - ensure it is fair like the use of shaving cream to keep the distance between the striker and the wall on free kicks. 

I guess with the USWNT success, interest is high once again. It is and can be a great game. We are up to our asses in red white and blue and little Japanese girls screaming Nippon, clap,clap,clap, Nippon. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    @Skiddymarker-
    1. USA High School and College games do exactly what you mention regarding the clock.  But I like the phantom clock with the professional game.
    2. Never have been a fan of diving-but you gotta' appreciate the medical miracles that occur right after the swan. :)
    3. The sideline judge could manage if that became the intent.

Go USA!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited July 2015
    It's a great sport. We've seen the US men and women play live. We've been to the last two (men's) World Cups. We couldn't make it to this one, but have been cheering at the TV. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    edited July 2015
    @Foghorn- I  followed (thru your great forum posts) your overseas trips with envy-dang,  South Africa and Brazil.  Better to be lucky than good any day.  Russia in 2018?  
    BTW-streaming Hawaiian music right now!
  • Foghorn
    @lousubcap, we are likely not going to Russia in 2018. We are toying with the idea of going to either the Euros or the Olympocs next year.  At that point my kids will be 21 and 19 so it may be our last chance to do something like that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I appreciate country v country like in the Olympics and WC, but just can't get into the pro leagues.  I'm definitely watching tonight.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I can't wait to watch tonight. I watch it with my girls and we all love it. Unique experience these days. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    YukonRon said:
    This may be the best shot ever at winning it all. 
    The US Women's team won the world cup in 1999, and 1991.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I'll be watching. Doing a simple cook of some chicken so all I have to do is drink and stuff my face. I worked all weekend so this is my holiday. Go girls get it done!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited July 2015
    @JohnInCarolina : I know, and great point. But with this team, it is much more loaded, than previous teams, according to people that know way more about it than I. Not diminishing the previous great accomplishments by any stretch of the imagination, just in context of the defensive prowess this team has shown with the assembled talent and athleticism. USA!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Will plan dinnertime around the game!  Can't wait.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Really hoping to watch the game. Payback for the loss 4 years ago!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Wife will be watching it upstairs. Myself, the Final Dead show on PPV with cranked audio sound. I will keep an eye on the match......have been watching then through their journey. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    The girls play tougher than the boys.  Significant head collision in the last matchup.  That damn German wanted to keep playing with a head laceration that needed attention.....props.

And the poor English girl who scored on herself, yowza.

Seems like the BS rolling on ground faking injuries is kept to a minimum with the ladies.  Main reason why I cannot watch mens soccer and prefer football.     
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm taking jake and 4 friends to Chicago in a few to see Manchester... Went last year in Charlotte to see a match... Great fun
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Talk about a FRINGE sport, today marks STAGE 2 of the Tour De France.

And, it is on network TV!       Though of course, we are HOURS behind Europe, so the results are 'in' by the time it is telecast.
  • Foghorn
    henapple said:
    I'm taking jake and 4 friends to Chicago in a few to see Manchester... Went last year in Charlotte to see a match... Great fun
    @henapple, that will be a great time. It's a good year to see the European teams that tour the U.S. in the summer.  It is not a World Cup or Euro year so most of the best European players should be there. You might not get to see some of the South American players who played in Copa America though. Hopefully they'll have some PBR in the stadium. 

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Goooooooaaaaaallllllll!