Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Paper vs Foil vs No Wrap. You be the judge.

Options

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    My mom held back a few recipes that she didn't feel like sharing.  Her response was "mijo, if I gave you give you the recipe, you would just make it yourself and have one less reason to visit me."

This remains true in a restaurant setting.  His book sold a lot of copies, but did he really give you everything or did he give everyone just enough to create their own signature?

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    cazzy said:
     His book sold a lot of copies, but did he really give you everything or did he give everyone just enough to create their own signature?

I actually created a post on this very subject. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1179688/aarons-franklins-book-masterpiece-or-master-plan#latest

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    cazzy said:
     His book sold a lot of copies, but did he really give you everything or did he give everyone just enough to create their own signature?

I actually created a post on this very subject. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1179688/aarons-franklins-book-masterpiece-or-master-plan#latest
    Yeah....seeing how I participated in it, I'm well aware.  :tongue: 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    After watching that video, I didn't believe for a second that he was using salt and pepper exclusively. It was just the way he said it.....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "son, I taught you everything YOU know, not everything I know" :lol: 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2015
    Options
    you can see the chunks of garlic in his up close rib shots in the book. Kinda look like Cazzy's up close rib shots :wink: 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Dang!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I made franklins beans this weekend. Good stuff. Used a chuck roast instead of brisket. have read chuck roasts will dry out like a brisket but I ran the vertical at 300!for about 3 hours till the bark looked good and hit 165?then wrapped in paper for another 2 hours and pulled. Better than any I have done at 250. I am done reading all the traditional crap online and ready to test things myself. Lots of BS online.
  • cazzy
    Options
    you can see the chunks of garlic in his up close rib shots in the book. Kinda look like Cazzy's up close rib shots :wink: 

Lmfao...well according to Aaron, he doesn't use straight S&P on his ribs so it is definitely possible.   =)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My ribs tonight. Sorry to hijack no foil or paper involved but a heck of a smoke ring. All oak and peach for smoke.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Good, not great. Still pretty firm but some great bites in there as well

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    After watching that video, I didn't believe for a second that he was using salt and pepper exclusively. It was just the way he said it.....
    If you watch his "special rubs" video on YouTube he says salt and pepper is the "base for his brisket rub". At the end he shows his evolving recipe and it shows smidge of garlic, onion and paprika. Maybe sometimes he adds the extras for more savory rub? Who knows. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    Doings ribs tomorrow and planning to try paper instead of foil.
    Beef or pork? 
    Pork ribs.  Spares.

I just checked this thread sorry for the delay.  I saw all @cazzy 's warnings to late ..... however they came out great!  Loved the texture and color.  I used Dominator Sweet Rib Rub.  Simple oak cook.  The paper didn't stick at all.

These ribs were weird though.  Went 250-300 for 6 hrs, wrapped it paper loosley for another 2.  No pull back, but they were floppy and most of the fat rendered out.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    If you watch his "special rubs" video on YouTube he says salt and pepper is the "base for his brisket rub". At the end he shows his evolving recipe and it shows smidge of garlic, onion and paprika. Maybe sometimes he adds the extras for more savory rub? Who knows. 
    The way I remember it is the base rub is S&P that he uses on brisket and he adds to it for different meats from there.  Need to rewatch the video but I will say I believe rub is way down the list on factors that determine how good ones brisket is....
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Watch it again Chubbs.  He says "this is my basic brisket rub", not " this is the base for my brisket rub".

I have never heard him say or get quoted that he uses anything other than S&P on briskets at the restaurant.  
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Me either @cazzy but he clearly uses just S&P on his YouTube and other briskets.  Other than his "house" sauce, I have heard him mention is restaurant stuff.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    Watch it again Chubbs.  He says "this is my basic brisket rub", not " this is the base for my brisket rub".

I have never heard him say or get quoted that he uses anything other than S&P on briskets at the restaurant.  
    He definitely always says S&P only. I thought he said base. This is the recipe at end. Looks like he is saying you could add the next 3 for brisket. Not sure if he does it or not but could explain why @Foghorn tasted sweet or savory?? I don't know. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SGH
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac- Man those ribs sure look like a winner to me :clap: 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Good, not great. Still pretty firm but some great bites in there as well

That bad boy looks mighty good from where I'm sitting.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Lit said:
    My ribs tonight. Sorry to hijack no foil or paper involved but a heck of a smoke ring. All oak and peach for smoke.
    Feel free to hijack on my threads anytime. Especially when the grub looks that good!! Awesome job.  

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Man, these nighttime food pics are killing me.  As usual, I've got the munchies and have the uncontrollable urge to grill something.  

On the plus side, my daughter eats like a queen for breakfast because of all my late night cooks - no cereal for her like most kids.  No wonder she likes the forum...
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac- Man those ribs sure look like a winner to me :clap: 
    Thanks!  The whole family and the neighbors liked them.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    Doings ribs tomorrow and planning to try paper instead of foil.
    Beef or pork? 
    Pork ribs.  Spares.

I just checked this thread sorry for the delay.  I saw all @cazzy 's warnings to late ..... however they came out great!  Loved the texture and color.  I used Dominator Sweet Rib Rub.  Simple oak cook.  The paper didn't stick at all.

These ribs were weird though.  Went 250-300 for 6 hrs, wrapped it paper loosley for another 2.  No pull back, but they were floppy and most of the fat rendered out.

Glad it worked out for ya....not so much for me.  Lol
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:

He definitely always says S&P only. I thought he said base. This is the recipe at end. Looks like he is saying you could add the next 3 for brisket. Not sure if he does it or not but could explain why @Foghorn tasted sweet or savory?? I don't know. 

I'm curious what others who have tasted his brisket think.  I think that Cen-Tex and @cazzy, and @Eggcelsior should weigh in.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:

I'm curious what others who have tasted his brisket think.  I think that Cen-Tex and @cazzy, and @Eggcelsior should weigh in.
    Didnt taste any sweet in his brisket, but IMO, there was a lil more to his brisket than just S&P.  Who knows though, maybe his all natural, hormone free prime beef tastes different than my Costco Prime.  :tongue: 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Or maybe my tastebuds aren't as accurate as I think they are.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Level 7 Brisket Captain.  I think I'm about a -10
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I assure you brother fog, it's not your tastebuds. Trust me on this one. 

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:
    I assure you brother fog, it's not your tastebuds. Trust me on this one. 
    He's tasting something else because it just isn't S&P.  There is no sugar in any of his rubs though.  Trust me on this one.