Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner in NOLA... at nola's!!

SWMBO had a few days off last week. I had a few days off last week. Caliprince takes days off whenever he wants to. So we headed to NOLA!

Hit up @nolaeggehad for restaurant recs and such and to see if he wanted to meet up. After a rendezvous in the French Quarter one morning, we headed to his place for dinner later on.

I don't think I was quite ready for the full glory of the ManBearCave. I want to live there. Seriously, I do. Nola and @FleurdeLirious put together a wonderful spread, and we were able to see first-hand how the magic happens. A pot was boiling outside for the Alaskan crab legs, sausage on the egg. chicken breast in the SV, and spanakopita somewhere. The neighbors came over and even babysat caliprince for a while as we ate dinner. After dinner entertainment included nola making huge fireballs by pouring chicken-fry grease on the firepit outside. I would have taken pics of that, but I was trying to find my eyebrows.

I learned a thing or two. For example, even Hot Pockets taste better egged, provided that you egg them to the perfect internal and external temp, as demonstrated below:

Forget the Iwatami torch or cast iron for searing after SV. For optimal results, you need to use the right tool for the job (believe me - there are chicken breasts under there).image

The feast:image

The sides were in the covered dishes green beans (with bacon!) and awesome peas salad (thanks again for the recipe). I think we covered all the major animal groups - seafood, swine, poultry, and everything else was covered by the HP's. Note the artisanal decoration of the HP's. Extra credit if you can guess what's on the one in the bottom row, far right.

We had a great time with great folks. It was wonderful to be in a different place, but be able to hang with peeps that you feel like you've known for a long time. I think I may have more egghead friends than real ones! 

Thanks again nola! And if you can't find one of the cats, caliprince may have jammed him behind your audio gear in the living room (sorry).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Looks like a great time!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Looks like a blast.....literally.  
    What is the box with clear door in the background of above pic??

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Haha....just saw this! We had a blast! We enjoyed you and your family's company. I'll post some additional pics later, at work right now.

That clear box is a home made sub-ambient smoker with a 5000 BTU AC.
    Haha....just saw this! We had a blast! We enjoyed you and your family's company. I'll post some additional pics later, at work right now. That clear box is a home made sub-ambient smoker with a 5000 BTU AC.
    Freakin-a-right.  Love the ingenuity.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow!  

My guess is "what is easy cheese?" for 1000, Alex. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Wow!  

My guess is "what is easy cheese?" for 1000, Alex. 
    OK, that is one way to interpret the question.

I was thinking, he was asking what is "drawn", as it looks like the other two you can more clearly see  are the infinity symbol and then I think it is 666, partially concealed by the hand.
    so I'm guessing with this crowd, and the way the question was posed, it could be something rude, crude, and socially unacceptable so I'm going to guess the part we can't see would be shaped like the head of a pecker.

OK, yes, my mind lives in the gutter sometimes, but hey, what if I'm right.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

@Zmokin - you sir, are absolutely f*ckin' correct!! Your time here has been well spent, as you were able to use your powers od deduction to figure out how depraved we can be :D

But I'll give @SmokeyPitt partial credit, because I wasn't specific enough with the question, and he did identify the substance correctly.

Now this thread will be damned to the unbumpable thread hell.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    LOL..I didn't read the question correctly.  I just got all excited when I saw the EZ cheese!  Nice job @Zmokin

@nolaegghead we still want more details on the hot pockets!  I believe you left us hanging on this one. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• When I was in town last year he avoided me like a venereal disease. Hmmm

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    When I was in town last year he avoided me like a venereal disease. Hmmm

Is there a question in there?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    He obviously knows you better than I do...

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    That hippy does me the same way. No respect at all ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Great visit and writeup!
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Liar!  I PM'd you my phone number be-otch!  And even if I'm wrong about that, you coulda called Mickey!  (He has everyone's number)
    SGH said:
    That hippy does me the same way. No respect at all ;)
    Damn redneck....cry me a river with a banjo. ;)
    Thanks again for the tasty beverages. Glad to share the pea salad recipe -- after you left I realized I put some Aleppo pepper in it before I realized some of the guests were not tolerant of spicy food as we are - wasn't much but gave it a little flavor. That may be what you noticed.
  • SGH
    @FleurdeLirious‌- All the food looked magnificent. That leads me to believe that you did all the cooking!! Just messing with brother Nola. Awesome spread for sure.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2014
    We met up with Caliking and family in the quarter and at Atchafalaya Cafe ( www.atchafalayarestaurant.com/ ) in uptown.   Found some dry ice in the quarter and made a nice fog machine at the restaurant.

Took a few pics that day.
    Firepit burning with crazy kids beating on drums....

Thanks for making us part of your dinner. The guest list was sure top notch. Love it when forum members link up, always a blast.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Thanks for making us part of your dinner. The guest list was sure top notch. Love it when forum members link up, always a blast.

I had lunch with young Travis and his dad today in Lampasas. Let's just say the Apple did not fall far from the tree.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Caliking-- it was lovely having you, your wife and the prince for dinner; glad you ventured across the river to join us. The Prince is a shameless little flirt at 11 mos; look out girls! Thanks again for the tasty beverages. Glad to share the pea salad recipe -- after you left I realized I put some Aleppo pepper in it before I realized some of the guests were not tolerant of spicy food as we are - wasn't much but gave it a little flavor. That may be what you noticed.

Ya know, I was looking at the recipe and scratching my head trying to figure out what gave it that hint of a kick. The Aleppo pepper was it!

Caliprince loved your home. He finally ran out of steam at about 11, and passed out before we made it to the stop sign.

@Mickey - its funny though when you meet folks from the forum. At dinner, nola's mom looks up and says "Cali, could you please pass me a fork?"

I highly recommend Atchafalaya for the build-your-own-Bloody-Mary-bar. Sheer genius.  I would go back just for that. Food was pretty good too.

• nolaegghead
    Cali - I think I've been to Atchafalaya Cafe maybe 3 times before, the last time a year or so ago, but I remember the waitress telling me they're setting up something new - the bloody mary bar.  I think I was the first customer to use it, and apparently they're kept it going.   I love bloody marys, but it's like Pho, much better when you're out rather than make them at home.
    Hey, why wasn't I invited ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    I hate these new emoticons^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    SGH said:
    Your wife and party monster were here, didn't they tell you!?
    SGH said:
    Your wife and party monster were here, didn't they tell you!?
    They are in trouble when I get home!!

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Looked like a gathering to be all. Good times. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like great food and fun as I would expect, bravo!!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • nolaegghead
    LOL..I didn't read the question correctly.  I just got all excited when I saw the EZ cheese!  Nice job @Zmokin

@nolaegghead we still want more details on the hot pockets!  I believe you left us hanging on this one. 

@SmokeyPitt - man, I bought those hot pockets because I had a $5 off coupon from the dollar store if you spend $20 or more.  Left them in the trunk of the Porsche for a week before I remembered I need to cook them or waste food.  Anywho, cooked them up, but, alas, too lazy to take pictures and dig up that old post.  I will buy more when the next coupon falls upon my wallet.

To be honest, I did not taste the hot pocket (using Caliking's acronym - HPs).  They did brown nicely, I believe you cannot beat the synthetic flour used when those are cast at the factory. 

So far, I have not heard from lawyers or police, so I believe everyone survived any encounters with hot pockets and their gastrointestinal tracts.  (am I saying that right @Caliking?)