Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday night pizza

Options

Comments

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Great lookin pie @grege345.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    grege345 said:

Did I mention my pizza. Was delicious :/

Yeah man, this got off topic quickly. Good work! Pie looks solid.
    Dallas, TX
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Mikee said:
    @Mikee‌ please post your dough recipe.

Sorry!

Not even my daughter has the recipe. I worked on it for years. It's my recipe. Getting a great pizza dough recipe is not available on the internet and I'm not going to change that. There are good recipes out there. Chose one of those or spend the time to perfect one yourself.

If someone wanted my style of dough, there are ways to create it. Some Troll, theyolksonyou, asking for me to publish mine is not going to happen.

Wow- why mention if your not going to share. The entire point of the forum is to share recipes and tips. Move along no need for another ass here.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Having a good pizza dough recipe and a great recipe is a night and day difference. I spent time creating mine. There is a website that has great recipes for dough or will at least allow someone to get a handle on what they are looking for. 

Making pizza dough requires a scale. Every ingredient needs to be weighed exactly. Temperatures must also be accounted for.

When the perfect dough comes out, after trial and error, its a winner.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Mikee said:

Having a good pizza dough recipe and a great recipe is a night and day difference. I spent time creating mine. There is a website that has great recipes for dough or will at least allow someone to get a handle on what they are looking for. 

Making pizza dough requires a scale. Every ingredient needs to be weighed exactly. Temperatures must also be accounted for.

When the perfect dough comes out, after trial and error, its a winner.

Good to know. You should start a thread. "I have a dough recipe but not gonna share it" then I'll reply with how to teach a dog how to sit. Move along sir
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mikee
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Wow- why mention if your not going to share. The entire point of the forum is to share recipes and tips. Move along no need for another ass here.  

Pizza dough is not like cooking a pork butt.

It takes a long time to create a pizza dough. Even if I posted the recipe, I doubt that others would fully follow the instructions.

Sounds like your the ass here.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @grege345‌ did I mention I liked the looks of your pizzas?
  • Mikee
    Options
    grege345 said:

"I have a dough recipe but not gonna share it"

Why would I want to share it? This site is great but I never signed up to give out my pizza dough recipe.
    I know how to make great pizza. There are plenty of websites to help get the novice in the right direction.
    I offered a few tips on this forum, just not going to give my recipe away. Making pizza takes time. Making dough also takes time.

I have not heard anyone respond that they like my style of dough. They want me to post my recipe. Go fly a kite.

• Mikee
    Options

Cazzy:

I doubt that you have a great recipe for pizza dough.

Do a google search and you'll find a ton of substandard recipes.

My pizza dough recipe is mine. It's not something I am willing to share.

For everyone out there, I have worked to create a dough that is my favorite. Chances are that it may not be your type.

Get over it. Whens the last time you got a recipe from a 5 star restaurant? They don't share it!

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mikee said:

Cazzy:

I doubt that you have a great recipe for pizza dough.

Do a google search and you'll find a ton of substandard recipes.

My pizza dough recipe is mine. It's not something I am willing to share.

For everyone out there, I have worked to create a dough that is my favorite. Chances are that it may not be your type.

Get over it. Whens the last time you got a recipe from a 5 star restaurant? They don't share it!

I know what you're doing and you're doing a damn fine job sir     =D>
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mikee
    Options

Cazzy

That was a long time ago. I stopped measuring items. I now weigh them. The procedure has also changed. Following my procedure will result in a very god dough.

I stepped it up a notch. That notch took it from good to great.

Thanks for bringing up a good recipe. It has evolved since then.

• Mikee
    Options

I posted that 'recipe' in 2010. Since then I've added some touches to it. The latest result is even better.

I've been making Pizza's for more than 40 years. So I know a thing or two.

My current dough is just like what I can get at my favorite Pizza shop. The local pizza shop is the best.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What was that guys name that we used to call the pizza Nazi?

No reflection on you Mikee, I just don't remember the guys name and haven't seen him in a while.  His brother owned a pizza restaurant and his posts were critical of others' pizza posts.

No reflection on you Mikee, I just don't remember the guys name and haven't seen him in a while.  His brother owned a pizza restaurant and his posts were critical of others' pizza posts.

Sam ferise
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Sam ferise
    I had to go look up some of his old posts, that guy was a trip.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yeah- he was a fun one. I think he told some pizza newb that posted pics of his first pizza that the pictures hurt his eyes to look at and that his grandmother was probably rolling over in her grave :))

He did share his super secret dough recipe though ;)

It is good too.Boy was he proud of it though. The only problem is it came with a price- you had to listen to the "I've been making pizza for 40 years" speech....oh wait...never mind

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options

yeah- he was a fun one. I think he told some pizza newb that posted pics of his first pizza that the pictures hurt his eyes to look at and that his grandmother was probably rolling over in her grave :))

He did share his super secret dough recipe though ;)

It is good too.Boy was he proud of it though. The only problem is it came with a price- you had to listen to the "I've been making pizza for 40 years" speech....oh wait...never mind

Some pizza dough is so protected that photos cannot be posted in fear that the ingredients can be detected.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    He was before my time so I went back to read some of his comments. Dude was a trip. He was definitely opinionated.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I've got a secret spatchcock with Dizzy Dust recipe and I am NOT giving it way! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not going to tell anyone my pant size...

or that I love piña coladas and getting caught in the rain...

Oops, I think I said too much.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Mikee
    Options

Making pizza is pretty simple. I see a bunch of not-so-good-looking pizza's but I bet they still taste great. I made the same mistakes.

The hardest part of making a pizza is the dough. Measuring ingredients by using measuring cups is not the way to go. Bakers do it by weight; because its repeatable. It is important to keep track of the weights, how it is mixed, and how its cooked.

I've eaten pizza from Pizza Hut and Papa Johns. Pizza Hut's dough has no flavor. Papa Johns is better but still not good.

For those who want to improve their pizza, just keep a log. Adjust and decide what the next step should be.  

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Those pies look great, I like the Buffalo and Garlic base one, sounds killer, thanks for the hunger pains.
    :)>- :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • scruffee81
    Options
    Yeah those Pizzas look awesome!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @grege345‌ did I mention I liked the looks of your pizzas?

@theyolksonyou‌, I disagree with your opinion on his pizzas =)) =)) what were you thinking when you said you liked the looks of his pizza. =)) LMFAO
    He's starting to tag disagree flags on @nolaegghead‌ also. =))
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I don't understand the weighing of ingredients, but I'm no baker. :-B
    Doesn't a cup of flour today, weigh the same as a cup of flour tomorrow, or yesterday? 
    Same for salt or sugar or oil or yeast? 
    :-??
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Doesn't a cup of flour today, weigh the same as a cup of flour tomorrow, or yesterday? 
    Density changes.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Try it sometime. Scoop a cup of flour and then weigh it. No try again. If it is the same, I'm impressed. In small quantities, it doesn't make a huge difference. However, if the bulk of the item is flour (bread, pizza, etc) and if making large batches, the difference from one time to the next can really add up.

The other ingredients, yes you can get consistent measurements by volume. However, flour is a tough one, it settles.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Durangler‌ measurement system variation. It's much easier to weigh than to sight a volume. Plus you can remove some material to hit weight exactly.