Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday night pizza

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

baking by weight lets you scale a recipe exactly and more easily than trying to figure out volumes. little differences in composition can change the recipe quite a bit. 

that being said i'm too lazy and amateur to do it, usually.  +/- 3 cups of flour, a cup of warm water, a packet of yeast, a little salt and a little oil -- that's my usual start for dough.  i'd like to try one of those books like flour water salt yeast and learn more, but there's only so much time. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Well, I'll be damned. I learned something....again! :)
    But the recipes I use measure in teaspoons, tablespoons & cups.
    Except cocktails I measure in ounces, then add extra liquor. :D
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • im a newbie on this forum...and can already tell @Mikee is a complete jacka$$...

I post "Yeah those Pizzas look awesome!: which is in line with the original thread ....and my first notification is a "Disagree" from you. 

I didn't chime in about your "holy grail" pizza dough recipe because I thought everyone already flogged you enough and I thought it to be rude to highjack the original posters thread.... however, reading your comments about how great your dough is and how much time you've spent on it....seems, like you have WAY to much time on your hands...so unless you are opening up your own pizza parlor don't talk about a pizza dough recipe that Jesus had input on helping you create if you have no intentions on sharing to the community...Id suggest you do something better with your time...like open up a WoW account...right now they immediately boost you to level 90, so you wont have to spend nearly as much time perfecting your dough recipe as it takes to get to a high level toon.

hopefully im not put in time out for this. if so sorry mods.

• @scruffee81‌ he was on a roll last night. I got 9 random disagrees, but I'm one of his very favorites. :D
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Durangler said:
    Well, I'll be damned. I learned something....again! :)
    But the recipes I use measure in teaspoons, tablespoons & cups.
    Except cocktails I measure in ounces, then add extra liquor. :D
    I like the way you roll!!!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Great looking pizza. I'm sure they were delicious. This is a link to King Arthur Flour Co. that has the Salter Weight Scale published. Not only do different flours weigh different weights, it also makes a difference if it is sifted versus non-sifted.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Weighing is the way to go. Typically flour is 60+ percent of the total weigh for pizza. My dough is in the 69% range. But that is based on a certain brand flour. If I choose another flour, it would lead to more experimentation to dial it in. Even buying the same flour will yield to slight differences from year to year. I like a high gluten four. I have to buy a 20 pound bag at a restaurant store to get it. Local supermarkets do not carry it. The only thing I measure by volume is the yeast; my scale is not accurate for the small quantity needed. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I agree with Mikee.
    Just saw this thread. How in the world did I miss this pissing contest? @nolaegghead you should have sent me a text or something ;) You know I thrive on this kind of stuff!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    SGH said:

Just saw this thread. How in the world did I miss this pissing contest? @nolaegghead you should have sent me a text or something ;) You know I thrive on this kind of stuff!!

I just thought you ran out of piss and decided not to argue.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    stemc33 said:

Hell no. I would have loved to got in there!! Maybe next time.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    @SGH - I didn't think you were much of a pizza guy.  I guess your experience at thatgrimguy's house with the hippie bread dude has you singing another tune.  Will keep you updated my friend!
    @SGH - I didn't think you were much of a pizza guy.  I guess your experience at thatgrimguy's house with the hippie bread dude has you singing another tune.  Will keep you updated my friend!
    Brother I'm not talking about the pizza. I'm referring to the pissing contest. I'm good at stirring stuff up. Probably one of the better ones at that. 

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,596
    @SGH is all about the secret recipe, he never shares anything.
  • nolaegghead
    @SGH - I will say, as an understatement, that is the biggest understatement I have read on the forum, ever.
    Legume said:
    @SGH is all about the secret recipe, he never shares anything.
    I hear ya brother!! 

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    SGH said:

stemc33 said:

SGH said:

You're lucky you missed this one. People are tagging disagree for complementing the guys pizza. Crazy.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    Haha @SGH sorry you mizzed out on this and few other 'related' pizzing contests  ;)
    canuckland
  • SGH
    stemc33 said:
    stemc33 said:

You're lucky you missed this one. People are tagging disagree for complementing the guys pizza. Crazy.
    Brother Stem they can tag me all that they want. The original poster did make some great looking pizzas. 

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    @SGH‌, unfortunately you actually missed out on part of this thread. The Mods got it.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    stemc33 said:
    @SGH‌, unfortunately you actually missed out on part of this thread. The Mods got it.
    I can only imagine how enlightening it was ;)

Status- Standing by.

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited December 2014
    wow this thread. I can't believe @grege345‌ posts a pic of a great looking pizza and "someone" can criticize it. wow, the arrogance is strong in this one! You know what they say "if you don't have anything nice to say....."

Aurora,OH
  • Mikee

I was kind of in awe when others wanted my dough recipe. My guess is that most of those people were already making great dough.

Why would they want mine? Is it because mine works best for me and is repeatable for the type of dough? My recipe is a thin crust. If that's not your style, then why bother me to post it? While my dough is really good, the pizza shop just a few miles away is better. A new pizza place opened a 1/4 mile down the road from the other one. Their pizza dough is better than mine as well. Right now I'm running in 3rd place, but those places make dough every day and have an advantage.

I'm a member on a pizza forum. There was a guy who spent years and years getting his dough right. After about 4-5 years he finally opened his restaurant. He was successful in his prior job but he knew that if he was going to open a restaurant he needed a great dough that would separate him for others.

When I first started making dough I tried recipes I found on the internet. All of them failed to meet my expectations. The pizza was good but it was not what I was looking for. I knew what type of dough I wanted; thin, tough, chewy, and flavorful. Once I honed in for those qualities, I was finally able to find recipes that fit my bill. One thing I found was that weighing ingredient was the only way to go. By using a Baker's type of recipe it allowed me to make changes and decide if the final product was better or worse.

I said it before; if your cooking pizza you have to decide on the type of dough you like. Copying someone else's dough that is thin and chewy is not going to cut it for someone looking for a thick and soft dough.

• Mikee said:

I was kind of in awe when others wanted my dough recipe. My guess is that most of those people were already making great dough.

Why would they want mine? Is it because mine works best for me and is repeatable for the type of dough? My recipe is a thin crust. If that's not your style, then why bother me to post it? While my dough is really good, the pizza shop just a few miles away is better. A new pizza place opened a 1/4 mile down the road from the other one. Their pizza dough is better than mine as well. Right now I'm running in 3rd place, but those places make dough every day and have an advantage.

I'm a member on a pizza forum. There was a guy who spent years and years getting his dough right. After about 4-5 years he finally opened his restaurant. He was successful in his prior job but he knew that if he was going to open a restaurant he needed a great dough that would separate him for others.

When I first started making dough I tried recipes I found on the internet. All of them failed to meet my expectations. The pizza was good but it was not what I was looking for. I knew what type of dough I wanted; thin, tough, chewy, and flavorful. Once I honed in for those qualities, I was finally able to find recipes that fit my bill. One thing I found was that weighing ingredient was the only way to go. By using a Baker's type of recipe it allowed me to make changes and decide if the final product was better or worse.

I said it before; if your cooking pizza you have to decide on the type of dough you like. Copying someone else's dough that is thin and chewy is not going to cut it for someone looking for a thick and soft dough.

@Mikee - are you planning on opening up your own pizza place or restaurant at some point?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mikee

@jJohnlnCarolina

I thought about it years ago. But I just don't have the funds to do it. My daughter is gifted with a great palette and great cooking skills but even that does not guarantee a successful business,

I'm a good cook set in my ways. I doubt I'd be the type to change  things. I would go down with the ship.  

My belief is to have 6-10 great appetizers. And I mean great. Have a great but limited entrée list. Items that are fresh and seasoned to perfection. Having that still depends on word of mouth or having media exposure.

Opening up a pizza shop is also not an option. Two local places make better dough. One of those places also make a better pizza than I can make. As I stated, I tried to mimic their dough and have come close. My pizza vs. theirs and I would choose theirs.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2014
    Kicked the idea around here.  Saw a guy pour a slab and build a WFO on an older single axle military trailer.  Thought it was brilliant.  Cheap up front, mobile for summer events, caterings.  Probably in around 10Gs to start.  

Would need 3 people and an EZ Up Tent.  One to stretch, top.  One to work the oven.  And one to rake in the quick cash!  Could bang out 12" Neapolitan Margs in 60 seconds for 12 bucks a pop.  Could even grow your own basil and tomatoes.  Dough ingredients are super cheap.  Snag a Hobart mixer on CL. 

Two downsides.  First, QC style pizza here is a staple.  And Midwesteners are stuck-in-the rut Simpletons.  Metro restaurants have tried to come in, and flounder.  People do not stray from the classic Harris and Franks, or Happy Joes.  

Second would be the climate and operating outdoors for only 6 of 12 months. 

Haven't completely given up on this idea though.  Thought it would be cool to set up shop at a hospital, or large employers at lunch, charge by the slice.  Or at the college kids drinking District downtown after hours.  Thinking about the County Health Dept brings me back to reality. lol  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mikee
    SGH said:
    stemc33 said:

Perhaps I should send a six-pack so you could piss in my pizza dough recipe. I'll just call it what it is; filtered water.

I have no idea why so many others have gravitated to my posts. I've been here for years and years. Although I haven't posted much, never received a negative comment. This new group has hit me hard.

• stemc33
    @Focker‌, there's some people that do that exact same thing here in Wyoming. We have a farmers market every Thursday in the summer and Sheridan blocks off Main St. On the 3rd Thurs. of every month for booths, beer and music. They seem to do well. Not sure how many events they attend elsewhere, but there is always a line when I see them.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2014
    Another great place to set up shop.  We have an awesome farmer's market here in Davenport, IA every Sat, even through the winter indoors.  Possibilities for sure. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mikee said:

@jJohnlnCarolina

I thought about it years ago. But I just don't have the funds to do it. My daughter is gifted with a great palette and great cooking skills but even that does not guarantee a successful business,

I'm a good cook set in my ways. I doubt I'd be the type to change  things. I would go down with the ship.  

My belief is to have 6-10 great appetizers. And I mean great. Have a great but limited entrée list. Items that are fresh and seasoned to perfection. Having that still depends on word of mouth or having media exposure.

Opening up a pizza shop is also not an option. Two local places make better dough. One of those places also make a better pizza than I can make. As I stated, I tried to mimic their dough and have come close. My pizza vs. theirs and I would choose theirs.

I think it's an incredibly difficult business to find success.    I also think people really overestimate how lucrative it can be.   

Given your response, however, I guess I really don't see why you wouldn't be willing to share your dough recipe.  I can understand your perspective that it was something you crafted for you and that others might not like it, but - what is the downside?  You wrote that you won't even share it with your daughter and I guess I really don't understand why if you're not planning to start your own place.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike