Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket........and other stuff that I made up all my myself

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Watching that video just gave me a half-chub.  :\">

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    edited December 2013
    So, if I understand this new procedure for smoking an amazing brisket, it goes something like this:

1) start drinking whiskey
    2) S&P, oak, put on egg
    3) drink until hammered 
    4) let fire go out
    5) pass out
    6) wake up in morning, start egg up again
    7) pull when jiggly like a VS model

Did I miss anything?  
    That pretty much nails it. I cooked it at 250 when the egg was lit.
    Dome or grate? Oh, and what type of whiskey were you drinking again? I feel like these details are gonna make a difference.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • So, if I understand this new procedure for smoking an amazing brisket, it goes something like this:

2) S&P, oak, put on egg
    3) drink until hammered 
    4) let fire go out
    5) pass out

Did I miss anything?  
    That pretty much nails it. I cooked it at 250 when the egg was lit.
    Dome or grate? Oh, and what type of whiskey were you drinking again? I feel like these details are gonna make a difference.

grid. As measured by cyberq wifi. I was drinking tito's (see note above to lousubcap about my uneasy truce with bourbon at the moment).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I can't believe it but this is the only photo i got. Once we cracked it, it went fast. The lighting in the room makes it look a little redder than it was but it definitely had a little color to it. image
    Great... just one photo? That's like having only one frame showing Nessie, BigFoot, or the Colossal Squid.

Maybe they'll be a "Search for Brisket" show on Discovery
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    cazzy said:
    DAMN, I love that video.  The slow motion makes me crack up.
    Me too and we didn't even add that "thud"'sound. That's the way it came out on the video.
    I like how you back off and walk away after dropping it.  Like it was a meat grenade.  haha

I laughed when I saw that too. Totally unstaged.
    That was the best part.  I heard this in my mind as it happened:

"Boom goes the brisket. I'm OUT!"
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• OMG GUYZ THE SMOKE RING GOES ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!!
    I can't believe it but this is the only photo i got. Once we cracked it, it went fast. The lighting in the room makes it look a little redder than it was but it definitely had a little color to it. image
    I bet it looks a little red because your smoke ring goes all the way through.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2013
    This was CT's upper half as he backed away...

.image

I never get a ring on the egg unless I doctor it up. It wasn't this red. Our table has a redwood hue to it and the lighting was dim. It was a little red but it looked like brisket.

I never get a ring on the egg unless I doctor it up. It wasn't this red. Our table has a redwood hue to it and the lighting was dim. It was a little red but it looked like brisket.
    Right - I was joking.  I don't get much of a smoke ring on my briskets either.  
  • So, if I understand this new procedure for smoking an amazing brisket, it goes something like this:

2) S&P, oak, put on egg
    3) drink until hammered 
    4) let fire go out
    5) pass out

Did I miss anything?  
    oh yeah- and this is not the NEW procedure for cooking brisket. it's the only procedure. I like to keep it interesting. If there is not some type of passing out, switching food/pit probes, fires going out, then the briskets are never good. I think they like excitement and chaos.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    So that's how the table caught fire..

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812 said:
    So that's how the table caught fire..
    and that......(that was pizza though)

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    My wife would never video me jiggling my meat much less let me post it on the Internet.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3 said:
    My wife would never video me jiggling my meat much less let me post it on the Internet.
    My wife lives a life of regret and confusion......It has not gone well for her
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Now I'm itching to order a brisket.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @BYS1981-the ordering part is easy/reasonable-just be ready for the "shock factor" when the shipping charges get sorted out (at least for the SRF briskets being tossed around here).  But as @C-T notes-" It ain't cheap to overnight 17 lb frozen bowling balls all over the country."  And that's why he will only toss watermelons when @lakewade gives him the okay from now on or so I would guess :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    Haha @lousubcap I've seen the prices.. I'm actually planting the seed now with the wife, maybe superbowl lol
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited January 2014
    If you really look at it, It's $10 per lb all in (including shipping). Go find a great quality cut a beef for that. If you are feeding a group, I wouldn't think twice about it. It's the best cut of beef I've ever eaten. I fed 12 adults and 6 teen boys for (free) $160. That's well under $10 a head for the best brisket any of them have ever had. You can't cater crap bbq in this town for that. If you are comfortable cooking, handling, and slicing it, it's actually a great deal. I wouldn't buy one just for us but I'll never not buy one for a planned party ever again.
  • If you really look at it, It's $10 per lb all in (including shipping). Go find a great quality cut a beef for that. If you are feeding a group, I wouldn't think twice about it. It's the best cut of beef I've ever eaten. I fed 12 adults and 6 teen boys for (free
    It's interesting because it's kind of a chicken-and-egg thing for me.  I think I could justify the $10/lb cost if I was convinced that I was good enough cooking brisket that it was going to come out to be worth it.  On the other hand it would be interesting to know just how much difference the higher quality meat makes, even when you're just a "brisket beginner".  

• If you really look at it, It's $10 per lb all in (including shipping). Go find a great quality cut a beef for that. If you are feeding a group, I wouldn't think twice about it. It's the best cut of beef I've ever eaten. I fed 12 adults and 6 teen boys for (free

It's interesting because it's kind of a chicken-and-egg thing for me.  I think I could justify the $10/lb cost if I was convinced that I was good enough cooking brisket that it was going to come out to be worth it.  On the other hand it would be interesting to know just how much difference the higher quality meat makes, even when you're just a "brisket beginner".  

I agree but if you can dump salt and pepper over it, keep you egg from going out overnight....(never mind that part).......at 250 you will be fine. Just hit me up when you are ready and I'll tell you when to pull it, rest it, and how to cut it.
  • BYS1981
    edited January 2014
    I'm planning on doing a few briskets first, get my feet wet, then dive into the wagyu.
  • Snake river farms in Boise? That place is about 40 min from my house. Now I am intrigued.
  • Fouker187 said:
    Snake river farms in Boise? That place is about 40 min from my house. Now I am intrigued.
    yes. go there. quickly.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Fouker187 said:
    Snake river farms in Boise? That place is about 40 min from my house. Now I am intrigued.
    yes. go there. quickly.

I'm curious what they mark up to ship...hmm.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The shipping costs aren't small, but they're probably reasonable given that they're sending something weighing 10+ lbs that also has to be kept cool somehow.  
  • @cazzy- the shipping on ours was $4 per lb. The briskets were only $6 per lb (same as whole foods for half the quality) before shipping. $6 per lb is a steal for the quality you get.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Hmmmmmm, I gotta travel to Boise in a couple months. Maybe a visit and some briskets in a carrion cooler...
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Shouldn't that be carry on cooler??  :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• I will have too shoot over there. I will let everyone know if it is cheaper direct.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm thinking I may need to order a few to knock shipping down per unit. Perhaps a group buy...