Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket........and other stuff that I made up all my myself

Comments

• hapster said:
    this was nuts. probably the best i've ever had. I'm still giving Franklin the nod but that may be more out of respect since I did nothing right on this cook. This meat was out of this world. I can tell you that in the right hands, this is special. In my hands, it was really good. Crazy good. All i did was salt, pepper, and oak. I F-d up the fire, pulled it at a weird temp (i was totally right though). I may never buy another type of brisket again. i would rather do less and do them like this than chase mediocre cuts at grocery stores. more to come but this was a moon shot home run. Just had to update before slipping in to a tito's induced coma. wow

Bravo!!! Now I'm going to have to find out where I can get one of these things... Sounds like if every dealer had samples of this available on the weekends, they'd have nothing but empty showrooms ;)
    agreed hap. I actually screwed up the cook buy getting drunk and letting the fire go out (WITH a cyber Q wifi- I' mean how drunk do you have to be?). The meat was so good it was almost unfair. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    You don't need to go to China or (better yet Japan) to get one ;) : http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/competitive-bbq-collection/
    You just need to be ready to spend some $$s
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q said:

You don't need to go to China or (better yet Japan) to get one ;) : http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/competitive-bbq-collection/

Of course all that was tongue in cheek. I've known about SNF for a while. Just ribbing my buddy who mortgaged his home to give me one a little. It was spectacular.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

R2Egg2Q said:

Of course all that was tongue in cheek. I've known about SNF for a while. Just ribbing my buddy who mortgaged his home to give me one a little. It was spectacular.
    I figured that was part of the stuff you made up. LOL! You have a generous buddy!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q said:

R2Egg2Q said:

I figured that was part of the stuff you made up. LOL! You have a generous buddy!
    Yes I do. The good news is that he has the twin to this one in his fridge. He's cooking it for New Year's Day. Twice in one week is considered a win in my home for lots of things :)).
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Yes I do. The good news is that he has the twin to this one in his fridge. He's cooking it for New Year's Day. Twice in one week is considered a win in my home for lots of things :)).

Tell him to give me a call and I'll walk him through it. ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sing him my song too.
  • shtgunal3 said:

R2Egg2Q said:

R2Egg2Q said:

Tell him to give me a call and I'll walk him through it. ;)

There actually was a nice chunk of Alabama Red Oak in there. Not sure where I got it but it just seemed right ;)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    That's what made the brisket so damn good!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Love the original post here Cen-Tex.  Very funny and filled with poetic license.  I would expect nothing less.  And for the record, thank you for the used BBQ rub samples and discarded smoke cap.  I'm sincere when I say it was a wonderful Christmas.

Now to the brisket review.  It was the best brisket I have eaten.  Period.  I have not made it through Franklin's line yet but I have had my share of Texas brisket.  You simply nailed it.  The lean part of it (if there was one) in the flat was better and more moist than the point on most brisket.  In fact I liked the lean best and I am definitely a point man.  It was very tender.  You could easily pull apart lean pieces from the flat with your fingers, but it didn't fall apart either, which is just how it should be.  And salt and pepper is the only way to go.  Simply perfect.  I have never seen people line up with their plates for seconds and scramble for more brisket like that.  Wow.

Yes the meat was a factor but the cooking was what made it great.  I've screwed up plenty of good brisket so I know that's true.  I hope you took a photo or two because it didn't last long.  Thank you!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Sing him my song too.
    Very nice Eggcelsior!  I always thought the lyrics to that song were a little out there.  I like your version better.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @Cen_Tex and @lakewade-I don't know who's got the goods on who here but that is one hell of a gift.  I have checked out the SRF web site a couple of times (most recently yesterday) and am not creative enough to get one by SWMBO.  I almost had a chance til I tossed in the shipping...
    Glad you enjoyed round one and I'm sure round two will provide the same results.  Could be habit forming!  Happy New Year!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • So, if I understand this new procedure for smoking an amazing brisket, it goes something like this:

1) start drinking whiskey
    2) S&P, oak, put on egg
    3) drink until hammered 
    4) let fire go out
    5) pass out
    6) wake up in morning, start egg up again
    7) pull when jiggly like a VS model

Did I miss anything?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    So, if I understand this new procedure for smoking an amazing brisket, it goes something like this:

2) S&P, oak, put on egg
    3) drink until hammered 
    4) let fire go out
    5) pass out

Did I miss anything?  
    Yep...you sure did. You have to be centex!! The man is the brisket king and his f-ups are usually better than most people's perfect cooks. 

I have an inside source that revealed his secret.  In lieu of milk, his mom used to bottle feed him brisket drippings so it's pretty much in his blood.  It's not fair at all... :(
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • So, if I understand this new procedure for smoking an amazing brisket, it goes something like this:

2) S&P, oak, put on egg
    3) drink until hammered 
    4) let fire go out
    5) pass out

Did I miss anything?  
    That pretty much nails it. I cooked it at 250 when the egg was lit.
  • cazzy said:

So, if I understand this new procedure for smoking an amazing brisket, it goes something like this:

2) S&P, oak, put on egg
    3) drink until hammered 
    4) let fire go out
    5) pass out

Did I miss anything?  
    Yep...you sure did. You have to be centex!! The man is the brisket king and his f-ups are usually better than most people's perfect cooks. 

I have an inside source that revealed his secret.  In lieu of milk, his mom used to bottle feed him brisket drippings so it's pretty much in his blood.  It's not fair at all... :(
    Hardly but thank you. This was a great cut of brisket. Hard to screw up I certainly tried.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2013
    lakewade said:

Love the original post here Cen-Tex.  Very funny and filled with poetic license.  I would expect nothing less.  And for the record, thank you for the used BBQ rub samples and discarded smoke cap.  I'm sincere when I say it was a wonderful Christmas.

Now to the brisket review.  It was the best brisket I have eaten.  Period.  I have not made it through Franklin's line yet but I have had my share of Texas brisket.  You simply nailed it.  The lean part of it (if there was one) in the flat was better and more moist than the point on most brisket.  In fact I liked the lean best and I am definitely a point man.  It was very tender.  You could easily pull apart lean pieces from the flat with your fingers, but it didn't fall apart either, which is just how it should be.  And salt and pepper is the only way to go.  Simply perfect.  I have never seen people line up with their plates for seconds and scramble for more brisket like that.  Wow.

Yes the meat was a factor but the cooking was what made it great.  I've screwed up plenty of good brisket so I know that's true.  I hope you took a photo or two because it didn't last long.  Thank you!
    Thank you buddy. Good times for sure. Glad you enjoyed the half used rubs ;). I figured if I could make a bunch of stuff up with anyone, you would be pretty immune to it by now. Can't thank you enough for the brisket. Even though it was world class, the best gift to me was getting to cook it and serve it to good friends with a few drinks. That is about as good as it gets for me (and Janelly too). The brisket was just the mechanism that made it all come together. Awesome gift. Home run.
  • A man cooks Waygu brisket
    He says, Why is it soft in the middle now?
    Why is it. soft at 180?
    When the rest of my life is so hard!
    I need a photo-opportunity
    I want a shot at redemption
    Gotta live up to Captain Brisket
    In a brisket graveyard
    Egghead, Egghead
    Dudes on the forum
    Far away, my well-lit door
    Mr. Beer belly, lakewade
    Get these shots away from me!
    You know, I don't find this stuff amusing anymore
    If you'll be my brisket bodyguard
    I can be your long lost pal
    I can call you Betty
    And Betty, when you call me
    You can call me... Screw it, I better call Al

This is hilarious. Just caught what it was. Well done sir.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503

2) S&P, oak, put on egg
    3) drink until hammered 
    4) let fire go out
    5) pass out

Did I miss anything?  
    That pretty much nails it. I cooked it at 250 when the egg was lit.
    But what nailed it for sure, was when the egg was at 180 and Cen Tex was lit.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I just cooked one from SRF on Thanksgiving and it was by far the best brisket I've ever cooked/had.  AMAZING!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    R2Egg2Q said:
    You need to be ready to spend some money on shipping!  Good lawd!  The two pack of brisket isn't priced that bad, but jeebus, $91 in shipping is a crime.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2013
    YEMTrey said:
    R2Egg2Q said:
    You need to be ready to spend some money on shipping!  Good lawd!  The two pack of brisket isn't priced that bad, but jeebus, $91 in shipping is a crime.

It's not for the feint of heart for sure.We are talking about doing a group buy here in austin/San Antonio to get the shipping cost down. The price of the brisket is the same as WholeFoods Meyer Natural. It's the shipping that gets you for sure. It ain't cheap to overnight 17 lb frozen bowling balls all over the country. I signed up for promotion emails so if they ever run a sale, I'll try to put a buy together for anyone in this area.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    May want to check around with local butcher shops - that's where I get mine.  Happy hunting.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • I can't believe it but this is the only photo i got. Once we cracked it, it went fast. The lighting in the room makes it look a little redder than it was but it definitely had a little color to it. image
  • cazzy
    DAMN, I love that video.  The slow motion makes me crack up.
  • cazzy said:

Me too and we didn't even add that "thud"'sound. That's the way it came out on the video.

• cazzy
    Me too and we didn't even add that "thud"'sound. That's the way it came out on the video.
    I like how you back off and walk away after dropping it.  Like it was a meat grenade.  haha
  • cazzy said:
    I like how you back off and walk away after dropping it.  Like it was a meat grenade.  haha

I laughed when I saw that too. Totally unstaged.