Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I *USED TO* be a fan of Wicked Good charcoal...

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    So, in response to this, will caliking get Hate-Mail or Love-Mail from her??   :-?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Or the part about thoughts and comments being welcome, for that matter.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • @cazzy:  no matter what kind of mail @caliking gets on this, I hope WG realizes it's just going straight onto the forum.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    I think everyone here should email them and show them some egg love  :x
  • chris123stock
    @caliking, hope you took a good shower today, it looks like your arse may be in  for some kissing.
    I hope you didnt shower @-)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    No, I think someone should e-mail her a link to this thread!  Hmm, I may just be that person.  lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2013
    If we can put a hurt on their business I'm smelling a group buy :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• If we can put a hurt on their business I'm smelling a group buy :D
    You are an idea guy, after all. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Das what I'm good at!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    cazzy said:
    No, I think someone should e-mail her a link to this thread!  Hmm, I may just be that person.  lol
    That was the first thing I did when I read this.  Love WGWW and @caliking has always been super nice.  I tend to find the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  Not saying @caliking is lying at all.  If she REALLY did send that email then that is unacceptable I will will not buy from them again.  I felt like I wanted to let her respond before I threw her on the cross.

My $0.02
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• hapster said:
    Why do I think her husband is sitting in his office pulling his hair out; completing regretting  giving his wife a "marketing job" and letting her play with social media and bbq forums, answering customer email...

He's probably wishing he had just told her to stay home, go to the club and play tennis with your friends...

You're a good guy, Hapster, but I gotta pull the girl card on you for this one. As a business owner, I recognize real stress when I see it. This woman is in the nitty gritty, not just "playing." Otherwise, she wouldn't care so much. That said, I'm floored by her email. There's no excuse for that behavior.

• no way in hell Caliking would mock up an email. Not his style. I wouldn't boycott them for this (even though it was not smart) but Cali is beyond reproach on a deal like this. 100% guaranteed that email is legit.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I wonder if LeeAnn inherited this company? Her response could have been so different. A simple "we are so successful we have had to rethink where we distribute. Thanks to customers like you we sold out completely. Hopefully in the future we will be able to serve you again". 

The kind of "you don't have a clue" comment probably made her feel better, in the short term. Like anyone who has success, you can never forget how you got there. Off my shopping list. (Well she took it off anyway as ACE was my source)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited May 2013
    Lee Ann, taking business personal. There's a fiesty one!

Bet she's a redhead... >:D<
    Gittin' there...
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited May 2013
    hapster said:
    Why do I think her husband is sitting in his office pulling his hair out; completing regretting  giving his wife a "marketing job" and letting her play with social media and bbq forums, answering customer email...

He's probably wishing he had just told her to stay home, go to the club and play tennis with your friends...

You're a good guy, Hapster, but I gotta pull the girl card on you for this one. As a business owner, I recognize real stress when I see it. This woman is in the nitty gritty, not just "playing." Otherwise, she wouldn't care so much. That said, I'm floored by her email. There's no excuse for that behavior.

Get em, J
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    They could have done two things. Went the Maker's Mark direction... Advertise a impending shortage coupled with "watering dowm" their lump with Kingsford briquettes thereby boosting interest and sales. They could have reached out to Ashish and sent him a free bag and helped him locate more nearby.

On a side note, caliking... We're going to shorten your name to ass. X_X
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    no way in hell Caliking would mock up an email. Not his style. I wouldn't boycott them for this (even though it was not smart) but Cali is beyond reproach on a deal like this. 100% guaranteed that email is legit.

I really wasn't accusing @caliking of mocking up the email.  I knew that it would be taken that way because that is how it sounds.  I am just saying that I am floored that a business owner would respond that way and I wanted to hear her side of the story before I jumped on the bandwagon.  It is hard to believe that someone would be that dumb to repsond to a VERY active member of a VERY active customer base for them (she obviously knows this).
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    hapster said:

LOL... Did you read the bottom of my post?

I've no doubt the she is a real business woman with real supply issues... she also really messed up when she really needs the good will that their reputation has built up to this point to help carry them thru this rough spot...

So instead of being insincerely "nice" to one paying customer, she now has risked losing a ton of business and all of the good equity they've worked so hard to build by typing first and thinking(maybe) later...

I feel bad for them... It's going to cost them lots of real dollars because someone didn't take a deep breath and count to 10
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    There goes my attempts to find the stuff. No wonder I can't find it anywhere near Houston. That shop in Conroe is near where I shoot, looks like I won't be stopping by when I go this weekend. That lady just lost a lot of customers it sounds like. Her loss.

There are a few shops north of Houston that have lump, some brands I've never tried. Looks like I'll be experimenting soon!

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • To be fair, I've delt with Lee on several occasions and never had a problem.  In fact, upon placing my last order, I cited an abnormal amount of dust in my last bag.  Got a pretty honest reply:

Hi Peter ...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Actually the new bags and the smaller pieces in the bags were separate issues.

Apparently the manufacturer had a problem w/their culling machine.  Charcoal

itself should be OK.  Now if you can wait until mid-Jume, the size problem will

be corrected.  I can Void your order that you just placed ... and then let you

know when the new shipments are in our warehouse.

Sincerely,

Lee

Lee Ann Johnson / Co-Owner

Wicked Good Charcoal, Inc.

www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com

So I'm still fine with them.  Just thought I'd point out a positive to go along with the negative.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• r270ba said:
    no way in hell Caliking would mock up an email. Not his style. I wouldn't boycott them for this (even though it was not smart) but Cali is beyond reproach on a deal like this. 100% guaranteed that email is legit.

I really wasn't accusing @caliking of mocking up the email.  I knew that it would be taken that way because that is how it sounds.  I am just saying that I am floored that a business owner would respond that way and I wanted to hear her side of the story before I jumped on the bandwagon.  It is hard to believe that someone would be that dumb to repsond to a VERY active member of a VERY active customer base for them (she obviously knows this).

oh i know. just saying I know cali would never do that. Just piling on a little :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have had good experiences with WGC as well. This is sad to see.

On that note, Kamado Joe Lump is not WGWW and KJ are liars. Do not buy their products as I see lying as much worse than acerbic emails.
  • chris123stock
    They say a good comment is heard by one person. A negative one is heard by seven
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2013
    WG is now on my black list. Thanks for the post. 

By on your "black list". Is that to say you are not going to accept bags from me that I no longer use or are you saying you are not going to try and find where to buy it? :ar! =)) I love you man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Maybe with all these boycotts, WGWW will start showing back up in my neck of the woods!
    :(|)
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Mickey said:
    WG is now on my black list. Thanks for the post. 

By on your "black list". Is that to say you are not going to accept bags from me that I no longer use or are you saying you are not going to try and find where to buy it? :ar! =)) I love you man.
    Maybe I'd take some if it was free. Speaking of free, I'm heading to your office in a few min. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @Travisstrick did you wash your hands good?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    @Travisstrick did you wash your hands good?
    I'd hose him down outside just to make sure.