Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy cow. Feeling very lucky today.

1235»

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    :)

Garnerville, NY
  • ive read before that with repeated heatings the ignition point of wood goes down, i think that there was a study done with a steam pipe that touched a wood floor and eventually set it on fire. maybe something similar with an egg in a wooden table
    This table is old and has been outside for many years. I would also say I'm more than a casual user of my egg so it's been hot hundreds of times. It was hot for a solid 6 hours alone that day. Did wings for lunch, clean burn.  Then did pizza while it was still hot from the clean burn and then let that burn down because the lump was spent. It was locked in around 600 but I think once I stopped opening and closing it to take pies out, the temps ran away when we went in to eat. I could tell by the insides that it got very hot. Everything was white as snow and there was that tell tale white powder everywhere inside. When I sent the pics in for my warranty, the egg dealer asked how parts in such good shape (ie clean) could be cracked like this. I told him about the clean burn and he said- ah. No worries. Had to have something to do with it. 

I still think it started with the brush since it is completely gone. The table appears to have smoldered while the brush appears to have ignited. So either the table caught and smoldered but burned the brush to ash, or the brush ignited and burned to ash and the table smoldered as a result. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jgdusc
    jgdusc Posts: 22

This is eye opening to say the least.  I justmoved my eggs and grill to front porch for easier access, but it aint worth burnin it to the ground. 

Could an ember have ignited the grill brush residue?  I know mine gets stuffed with grease and particles unless I remember to hit it with the pressure washer every now and again to clean.  Having second thoughts about the wood table I am about to purchase.

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, Stoker Wifi, White Thermapen, Igrill---Gilbert SC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Glad all is well, has the shaking stopped yet? 
    Combination of a very dry fuel source, heat and unlimited oxygen and you have the recipe for a fire. It must have been a smouldering fire and it is amazing the deck and rail did not ignite. With this kind of luck you should jump the next plane to Vegas. 

Moral here, either snuff it or watch it. Again, glad everyone is safe!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jgdusc said:

This is eye opening to say the least.  I justmoved my eggs and grill to front porch for easier access, but it aint worth burnin it to the ground. 

Could an ember have ignited the grill brush residue?  I know mine gets stuffed with grease and particles unless I remember to hit it with the pressure washer every now and again to clean.  Having second thoughts about the wood table I am about to purchase.

Joan (Austin Egghead) asked me the same thing. I used mesquite lump because I had some lying around and it's notorious for sparking like crazy when lighting. This case was no different. It would have been a miracle shot but it could have happened. I'm thinking the egg got up to 1200 meaning the outside could have been 700 or so. My initial thought is that the extreme heat over several hours ignited either the table or the brush handle. Not having seen it for almost 24 hours after, I can't really piece it all together. 
  • Glad all is well, has the shaking stopped yet? 
    Combination of a very dry fuel source, heat and unlimited oxygen and you have the recipe for a fire. It must have been a smouldering fire and it is amazing the deck and rail did not ignite. With this kind of luck you should jump the next plane to Vegas. 

Moral here, either snuff it or watch it. Again, glad everyone is safe!
    No more shaking. We move on. I cooked on it last night on a paver on the deck. Worked like a champ. I did check on it several times though :)

• brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    No more shaking. We move on. I cooked on it last night on a paver on the deck. Worked like a champ. I did check on it several times though :)

atta boy!  Glad all's well
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Something went Cen-tex on a building I manage last night Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Ouch....Looks rough @double. Hope everyone is okay.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    double said:
    Something went Cen-tex on a building I manage last night Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I would definitely be looking for new management if I were that owner . Somebody is not getting their deposit back  ;)
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    No injuries. A reminder that any tenant should have renters insurance.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    ive read before that with repeated heatings the ignition point of wood goes down, i think that there was a study done with a steam pipe that touched a wood floor and eventually set it on fire. maybe something similar with an egg in a wooden table
    Perhaps this explains why my leftover lumps ignite significantly faster than fresh lumps, using Looftlighter? after all lumps are wood.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Charcoal is very hygroscopic (loves to absorb water).  If there are excessive amounts of it in the lump, the fire will start slowly and will not burn as hot.  In this case, and I don't otherwise recommend doing this, I'd like the bottom of the lump pile and let the water cook off.
    @C-T Glad You got back in the saddle and riding that cooking egg.  
    Egg/Fire paranoia will be longer lasting...And that may not be a bad thing.  Complacency may/can/will cause problems.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    friendly Public Service Reminder!
    canuckland