Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broke my foot off in some wings

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Found the "sweet spot" with wings today. Loaded up 2 racks on the AR, seasoned with Tsunami Spin and glazed with Blues Hog. Now Blues Hog is like molasses. I tried it on a finger a few months back and recoiled at the sweetness. Not my style. It's been sitting in the back of the fridge since. Kids wanted wings today and they don't mind the sweet and I needed to get rid of the offending Blues Hog. Damned if it wasn't awesome on wings with Tsunami Spin. It's so loaded with sugar it made kind of a candy shell once it caramelized in the egg.

Everyone in the house agreed: "best wings ever". 

What a great weekend on the egg. Stir fry last night, wings today, pizza tonight, and lamb tomorrow. About as good as it gets. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Looks awsome, very nice cook.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Time/temp on the wings?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    edited March 2013
    +1 on the Tsunami Spin and wings.  We use it all the time because Mama likes it the best.

In the south we would say "stuck my toe in some wings:.
    ^:)^
  • Time/temp on the wings?
    375 ish 45-50 minutes. The bottom rack (pictured) had a few crispy ones but they were only 1" above the AR stone. 90% were perfect though so I wouldn't bother rotaing top and bottom grids. Just added a little character :)

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Looks great man!

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Those look awesome!!! Can't do any cooking this weekend because Easter festivities are at other households plus work.  Thanks for helping me get through this difficult time.
    ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2013
    Duganboy said:
    +1 on the Tsunami Spin and wings.  We use it all the time because Mama likes it the best.
    Mine too,  but my kids especially. My 13 year old ate 11 wings. He weighs all of 80 lbs. I guess that's the seal of approval. We've been looking for the perfect combo to go with the TS. We've used Bone Sucking (which is really good too) but I had this Blues Hog that I didn't care for that I figured the kids would love. It was awesome with the TS on wings. I don't think I could bring myself to eat it on beef or pork, but I'll go buy it again just for wings. 

I have been told: "this is the one, stop experimenting" by the only person that matters in our house. So i guess Blues Hog is on the grocery list now.

• BTW- I glazed at the end just to be clear. It caramelized in about 15 minutes. The sugar content is so high in that sauce, it can't be over high heat for very long before it scorches. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I did ribs with blues hog mixed with a home made vinegar sauce last night. It was the best I've ever had.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I did ribs with blues hog mixed with a home made vinegar sauce last night. It was the best I've ever had.
    I am starting to come around. I think if I had it on anything else I'd have to cut it like you did. Which rub did you use?

• travisstrick
    Butt rub. The vinegar sauce was apple cider, LA hot sauce, pepper and a little brown sugar.
  • I am so jealous! I want to do lamb but nobody in my family will eat it. I grew up on leg of lamb and hate to spend the money for me to be the only one to eat it. I think I am going to just cook one and tell SWMBO it is pork roast.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • And the wings look great! But it does sound a little sweet for me.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • And the wings look great! But it does sound a little sweet for me.
    me too (and the wide does not like sweet either). They were really good.

• Butt rub. The vinegar sauce was apple cider, LA hot sauce, pepper and a little brown sugar.
    nice. Sounds really good

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Never tried the sauce... But so far we love Swamp Venom on our wings. Going to have get some TS...
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Those look amazing man!! I like a sweet heat on my wings. Tsunami spin or Jamaican firewalk are amazing with a sweeter BBQ sauce IMO

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm definitely a savory kind o guy, but there's something special about all that sugah caramelized with a little tart and spice.  Looks like you got a nice mix for the weekend. 

I'm still interested in a New Orleans Brisket camp - you're thinking summer, after spring, or including?  Summer is wide open, spring there's all kinds of stuff going on, but I'd be down with either. 
    Like to cut Blue Hog with vinegar and hot sauce, but pick up a jar at CM and notice the ingredients now list HFCS. I am sadden...put the jar back on the shelf.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • hapster said:
    Never tried the sauce... But so far we love Swamp Venom on our wings. Going to have get some TS...
    we love it too but it's too much for the kids. TS has no heat. I like a little more heat but this was surprisingly good for me

• I'm definitely a savory kind o guy, but there's something special about all that sugah caramelized with a little tart and spice.  Looks like you got a nice mix for the weekend. 

I'm still interested in a New Orleans Brisket camp - you're thinking summer, after spring, or including?  Summer is wide open, spring there's all kinds of stuff going on, but I'd be down with either. 
    prolly summer. Be hot as hell but tough for us to get away with the kids in school

• Like to cut Blue Hog with vinegar and hot sauce, but pick up a jar at CM and notice the ingredients now list HFCS. I am sadden...put the jar back on the shelf.
    I wouldn't be shocked. Sooooo freaking sweet. Not normally my thing

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

Found the "sweet spot" with wings today. Loaded up 2 racks on the AR, seasoned with Tsunami Spin and glazed with Blues Hog. Now Blues Hog is like molasses. I tried it on a finger a few months back and recoiled at the sweetness. Not my style. It's been sitting in the back of the fridge since. Kids wanted wings today and they don't mind the sweet and I needed to get rid of the offending Blues Hog.

Damned if it wasn't awesome on wings with Tsunami Spin. It's so loaded with sugar it made kind of a candy shell once it caramelized in the egg.

Everyone in the house agreed: "best wings ever". 

What a great weekend on the egg. Stir fry last night, wings today, pizza tonight, and lamb tomorrow. About as good as it gets.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I am doing a leg if lamb from Costco tomorrow on my Small. Was thinking of roasting low and then doing a reverse sear, cooked to mid rare. Not sure that's the best plan.

How are you doing yours?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    45 min's away and NO call. Outstanding
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Blues Hog Original .. very funky taste for sure  When I have pulled pork I use this sauce as one of four to try. It is a great alternative but only when offered with other sauce choices such as their Tennessee Red, a 50/50 of each, and maybe a Texas type sauce.

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    And the wings look great! But it does sound a little sweet for me.
    me too (and the wide does not like sweet either). They were really good.

Very dangerous typo.... 

[-X

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• travisstrick
    The fabulous J probably doesn't like being called WIDE.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Hell I don't even like chicken but I'd hit those! I picked up some sweet baby rays raspberry chipotle and that stuff is waaayyy to sweet.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Outstanding, always nice to fall in a cesspool and come out smelling like a rose!
    My son taught me to use a spoon full of brown sugar in whatever sauce I use to finish if you want that caramel crust.... Sounds just like what you discovered. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!