Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole beef tenderloin on the egg ???

I have cooked many beef tenderloins but never on the egg. I don't like to experiment with $150 worth of cow but I'm going to bite the bullet this time. As always I have found many different ways to accomplish the cook. So here is what I have come up with - raised grate, direct, 500 for a quick sear then reduce heat to 350 to finish the cook. What do ya'll think?
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Sounds good to me, but I am a newbie so take it for what it is worth! 

I love pork loin on the egg, but I have never tried a beef loin. Please take pictures and post them with your method and the results. I would love to try one/

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Granny- I have done a reverse sear and it was very good.
    Greensboro, NC
  • dnpina
    dnpina Posts: 8
    please oh please, let me know how it turns out.  I want to do a tenderloin as well, but you are right thats a good bit of change to have a poor outcome.   let us know how it goes.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I'm cooking this for Easter and will try to get pictures.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2013
    It's scary because it's so expensive, but tenderloin is pretty easy to cook - just watch your internal temp because you can't un-cook it.  There's barely any fat to flare up.  You'll do spectacularly well.
    Nola, thanks for the confidence. All thermometers have been calibrated and I will cook it to 120. We like it rare and just warm. ;;)
  • nolaegghead
    It'll melt in your mouth like buttah!
    edited March 2013
    What internal temp are you cooking to?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GrannyX4
    120 ;;)
  • nolaegghead
    Granny, either tie or cut to even out the meat (i usually tuck and tie the tail). Stabilize temp at 325-350. Place meat high in the dome indirect until the internal temp reads 100-105. Remove from egg, foil. While meat is resting and juices reabsorbing remove indirect set up and cranked up the egg to 500. Sear until IT reads 125-127. Since you have already rested the meat while the egg was coming to temp the loin can be sliced immediately. This is an adaption from a Cooks Illustrated method using the stove and the broiler. Oh, i forgot before cooking they slathered the meat with a compound herbed garlic butter. I will try to find it and sent the recipe to you. Happy Easter
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrannyX4
    Thanks Joan. So the cook is a reverse sear at the end of the cook instead of the beginning. Hmm. The butcher (a woman) tied the tenderloins up and she did an awesome job and the whole roast is all nice and even.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    check your mail.  you have a recipe
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Recipe is from Am Test kitchen Season Ten
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    Reverse is easy, listen to Joan, and you can target at less than 300, maybe even 275. Things happen slowly, so it easy to ensure a not overdone internal. The lower temp allows the meat to take on some smoke and rub without burning. 
    The sear is for looks and crust only. Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrannyX4
    Why is the sear done at the end of a cook? If I sear first then reduce heat there is no way I can over cook the cow. Does anybody do a sear at the beginning? I have read a lot about the reverse sear and it's always at the end.......scratch head! :-/
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I've done reverse sear and sear at the beginning.  I can't say I've noticed a whole lot of difference...but it is much easier to get the egg hot than it is to cool it off.

If you don't want a mix of underdone roast and overdone tail, definitely fold and tie up the tail (and the whole thing) such that you get as close to uniform and round as possible.

If you're buying a whole one, I also recommend cleaning it up before cooking (using a very sharp knife to remove as much silver skin as possible) and if you remove the side chain, it can be pounded flat with a mallet and cooked for steak sandwiches.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    If your already thinking you want to sear it first, then go with that, you can always try the reverse sear on a cheap steak later. I sear first to 105° then let the meat rest as the egg cools down then back on to 120°. I'm sure reverse sear is great but I am completely happy searing first so I don't want to overcook a steak or anything while I am learning a new method. I just did a london broil treated like a steak last weekend Rib roast done like a steak and it was fantastic! Lots of different ways to get great food on the egg, but I wouldn't try a new method out with a whole tenderloin.. Post which method you end up using. Sounds like Easter meal is going to be great! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • GrannyX4
    Solson, nice cook. Thanks for explaining. We are also having rack of lamb too and I'm ok with them. When I started trying to figure out how to cook the cow it dawned on me that I didn't know how I was going to do it on the egg. Your pictures helped. Not trying a new method on expensive cow or company, where is the challenge in that. ;;)
  • My bro-in-law does this several times a year on his offset and they are awesome. Always one of my faves. He does it bbq style because he can't cook a brisket and won't listen to me :)). I'm glad he's stubborn stubborn because it is so good and I get to eat it at his house without having to pay $15 per lb for BBQ! You are going to love it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'm in your corner Granny!! I can't add anything to the other advice, but will sure be watching for the results!! Knock it out of the park!

XLBGE 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    My bro-in-law does this several times a year on his offset and they are awesome. Always one of my faves. He does it bbq style because he can't cook a brisket and won't listen to me :)). I'm glad he's stubborn stubborn because it is so good and I get to eat it at his house without having to pay $15 per lb for BBQ! You are going to love it. This

This intrigues me.  I'm doing a pork tenderloin and a beef tenderloin for Easter and I'm definitely doing the pork on the BGE, but I can't decide what to do with the beef.  I'm torn between 1) reverse sear on the BGE, 2) smoked on my offset smoker at essentially the same temperature as I can get to a pretty steady 300-325 on it (with some work - but my son sees it as "fun time playing with fire... and more fires are better"), or 3) Steve Raichlen's "wrap it in salt and an old dishtowel and throw it in the coals" recipe.

However, my question is about how the beef tastes after being cooked on the offset smoker.  I love brisket and pulled beef that are smoked but have never really liked "smoked sirloin" or "smoked prime rib" at restaurants because I feel like beef that is good enough to cook as a steak tastes better when it is not smoky. So, @Cen-Tex Smoker, does the beef tenderloin your bro-in-law cooks taste smoky - or just like good beef that was exposed to some outdoor fire?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I seared mine at 600 on both sides for 2 minutes. Then pulled it off cooled it back down to 350 until i got internal of 150. My family other than me likes their stuff more well done. I would have rather taken it off at 130. Ours turned out perfect. Although I only did a half loin.
  • Foghorn said:
    My bro-in-law does this several times a year on his offset and they are awesome. Always one of my faves. He does it bbq style because he can't cook a brisket and won't listen to me :)). I'm glad he's stubborn stubborn because it is so good and I get to eat it at his house without having to pay $15 per lb for BBQ! You are going to love it. This

This intrigues me.  I'm doing a pork tenderloin and a beef tenderloin for Easter and I'm definitely doing the pork on the BGE, but I can't decide what to do with the beef.  I'm torn between 1) reverse sear on the BGE, 2) smoked on my offset smoker at essentially the same temperature as I can get to a pretty steady 300-325 on it (with some work - but my son sees it as "fun time playing with fire... and more fires are better"), or 3) Steve Raichlen's "wrap it in salt and an old dishtowel and throw it in the coals" recipe.

However, my question is about how the beef tastes after being cooked on the offset smoker.  I love brisket and pulled beef that are smoked but have never really liked "smoked sirloin" or "smoked prime rib" at restaurants because I feel like beef that is good enough to cook as a steak tastes better when it is not smoky. So, @Cen-Tex Smoker, does the beef tenderloin your bro-in-law cooks taste smoky - or just like good beef that was exposed to some outdoor fire?

so he does the sear in his fire box then smokes it in the chamber until internal of whatever he does. it's smoky. he does it instead of BBQ. he does a BBQ rub, serves with sauce etc. It's awesome but definitely smoky.

I would personally never spend the money on a tenderloin to do it this way but I'm glad he does every time.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

Thanks.

And sorry to all for the hijacking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I've had great success with wrapping the whole tenderloin in bacon and cooking to 120 w indirect. Remove plate and let BGE get up to 450-500. Put the loin back on for maybe 10-15 min, flipping. Avoiding flare ups. Cook to med. rare in center. Ends should be closer to med.
  • GrannyX4
    Cen-tex, a tenderloin cooked right is awesome. One of our favorites but we don't do it very often. Cooking nurse - I sure hope it's a home run. Andym, I really like the idea of searing first, i think it gives you my control over the finished temp. I really don't want it over 120 when I pull it off the egg. Some day I'm going to figure out how you do the @name thingy. ;;)