Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib roast done like a steak

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Welcome to the world of Scruffing, Herb Brushes, and Board Dressing! 

I finally got around to reading the Adam Perry Lang cookbook Charred and Scruffed which takes a pretty out of the box thinking to barbecue. I decided to go for the rib roast done like a steak recipe first. After reading through and figuring out what I needed a quick trip to the store I decided to go with a 3 lb boneless london broil.

First up was his four seasons blend kosher salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic salt all went into the motar and pestle and was ground until it had the consistency of sand. 

The rosemary herb brush in the picture is used to flavor the baste, releases oils into the crust as it builds, and eventually becomes a garnish for the board dressing. 

Season the beef with the seasoning blend, then lightly moisten your hands with water and work the seasonings into the meat. Allow to stand for 10 minutes to develop a paste. 

I made his basic baste recipe

olive oil, butter, soy sauce, granulated sugar, grated garlic, thyme, grated shallot, kosher salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, white wine vinegar. 

I stabilized the egg at 450°

Now for the cook, he called for a upper tier to start it out on, so the Ceramic Grill Works Swing Rack is perfect for this cook. Put beef on clean (unoiled) grate and cook without moving it for one minute. 

Turn the beef NOT ROTATE, some of it may stick and tear but that is OK and even desirable, that is the meat scruffing. 

Cook for 3 minutes then flip and cook for 3 more minutes

Put a foil wrapped brick on the grate and use it to steady the beef while searing on its sides. 

Continue cooking the roast, turning every 3 minutes and basting with the herb brush each time it is moved until the internal temp reaches 105°

Let rest for at least 5 minutes up to 30.. 

Sear down low 1 minute per side until internal temp reaches 120° 

Now its time for the board dressing: 

Olive oil, flat-leaf parsley, minced shallots, kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Chop off the end of the herb brush and mix into the board dressing, then slice the meat, turning each slice in the dressing to coat. Then pour the remaining board juices over the meat while serving. 

WOW! This was great and I will be using this method on steaks from now on! 

I made some Guy Fieri Goodie Gril Championship Potatoes and a Spicy Mexican Coleslaw with lime and cilantro from Kaylan's Kitchen. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    WOW!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Solson005
    @RAC that was my thoughts each time I took a bite, I can't wait to read the rest of the book and see what other great creative ideas he has. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great cook, as always - thanks for sharing. I've used a similar board dressing, but just on a reverse seared naked strip loin. This is on the bucket list. Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Thanks @skiddymarker the board dressing is such a great concept and I will be using it on many cooks!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    He does one in this Podcast form the Adam Carolla Show. I can't remember if it was posted here before. Coolest part? Jimmy Kimmel is an Egghead(it's shot in his backyard) Worst part? He cooks it on the gasser while the Egg stands in solitude.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Sweet Jeebus that is a beautiful cook.

Incredible as always!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Solson005
    @Eggcelsior I imagine he did it on the gasser because thats what most people had and trying to do anything with those other guys has got to be tough let alone dial in a egg with the dome open or he has a contract with webber when he appears places. I would hate to be those guys manager, I don't know if the money would be worth keeping them focused and where was Jimmy Kimmel? Seems like he would have enjoyed APL cooking in his backyard more than anyone. Maybe he doesn't know you can get a second tier like the Swing Rack on the egg, I know he prefers wood fire in all his books. I actually found using the spoon part hidden in my herb brush handy to get the chunks of it on the meat. 

Thanks for posting. 
  • Solson005
    Thanks @YEMTrey it was fun to try some new methods and it turned out fantastic! 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Great looking cook and another first class post... Well done.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    =D>
    Amazing. When we eating at your place!
    Really makes my pizza I'm about to toss in look boring and unappetizing

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    Thanks @hapster Looks like your having a good time on vacation! 

@MrCookingNurse Anytime! Just hop in the plane and head to Oklahoma, I'm keeping tabs on your informal egg gathering your trying to get going and if the weekend works right I may make a long trip and swing by. I love pizza too just getting some use out of my book I got for Christmas. I made the chile rubbed pork tenderloin with blackberry sauce on Saturday so leftovers are for dinner tonight.  
  • Solson005
    The leftovers were great, I made way to many potatoes and coleslaw, we only left a few slices of beef but thats ok it was so good yesterday! The couple pieces I had were even good reheated. 
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Looks amazing! I have his original book Serious Barbecue and looks similar to some of his other methods. So far everything I have tried from him has been awesome!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Solson005
    Thanks @RLeeper it was a fun cook.

I'm going to go get Serious Barbecue at the Library tomorrow and check it out.