Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing now? (2024)

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,315

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279
    Also, I have no party.  I am liberal on social policies and fiscally conservative, small government, stay out of my way type.  Republican party and cult of Trump sure isn't me, but the Democrate force your way of life and views on me or cancel me is **** too.  Just like i think politicians getting involvd in abortion and limiting women's rights is ****.
    What, precisely, do you think the Democrats are trying to force you to believe?
    When you mis-gender someone they call it assault? (I gladly call someone by what they want, but sometimes you screw up and guess wrong).

Ozzie, I am trying to find where in the heck you got this idea about misgendering being considered assault?  Where did you hear about this?

The only thing I can find is some hate-mongering from the likes of Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan.  There doesn’t seem to be much of any basis for it in reality of actual law, at least not in the United States or from the Democratic party.  There is something in Canada but even there it’s clear the law is being willfully misconstrued by these jackwads.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,509
    Also, I have no party.  I am liberal on social policies and fiscally conservative, small government, stay out of my way type.  Republican party and cult of Trump sure isn't me, but the Democrate force your way of life and views on me or cancel me is **** too.  Just like i think politicians getting involvd in abortion and limiting women's rights is ****.
    When you mis-gender someone they call it assault? (I gladly call someone by what they want, but sometimes you screw up and guess wrong).

Ozzie, I am trying to find where in the heck you got this idea about misgendering being considered assault?  Where did you hear about this?

The only thing I can find is some hate-mongering from the likes of Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan.  There doesn’t seem to be much of any basis for it in reality of actual law, at least not in the United States or from the Democratic party.  There is something in Canada but even there it’s clear the law is being willfully misconstrued by these jackwads.
    I think what he is talking about is the multitude of video clips from social media of people trying to get clicks from being “victims”. I have seen a ton of them. 

With that being said, I heard this product work wonder. 

Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina

I think what he is talking about is the multitude of video clips from social media of people trying to get clicks from being “victims”. I have seen a ton of them. 

That would be an odd response to my question about what the Democratic party is forcing him to believe.

Regardless, you must be on very different social media than I am, because I’ve never seen anything like that. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac

That would be an odd response to my question about what the Democratic party is forcing him to believe.

Regardless, you must be on very different social media than I am, because I’ve never seen anything like that. 
    Sorry moving a horse up to a consigner, so been out of pocket.  Battleborn is correct I have seen a lot of social media with people claiming that they were “assaulted” for misgendering.  They are predominantly affiliated with the Democratic Party.

Here is a source you may trust, not a hard leap to see why people say they are assaulted:

https://dpcpsi.nih.gov/sgmro/gender-pronouns-resource

• Ozzie_Isaac
    I am not saying it is okay to misgender, but having been involved with a very close family member who was physically assaulted and dealing with the surgeries, the PTSD, and general aftermath, I think it is a far cry from assault.

• JohnInCarolina

Sorry moving a horse up to a consigner, so been out of pocket.  Battleborn is correct I have seen a lot of social media with people claiming that they were “assaulted” for misgendering.  They are predominantly affiliated with the Democratic Party.

Here is a source you may trust, not a hard leap to see why people say they are assaulted:

https://dpcpsi.nih.gov/sgmro/gender-pronouns-resource
    Do you have an example of someone affiliated with the party saying this qualifies as assault?

The NIH guidance is articulating how this kind of thing can become harassment at some point.

I wonder if you guys are perhaps confusing the difference between someone making an honest mistake vs deliberately misgendering with the intent to harm.  These are two very different things.
  • Campbell2N
    Campbell2N Posts: 175
    Soooo we’re still doing this. I need to get out of my funk and grill up some bangers to quiet this crap down. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Soooo we’re still doing this. I need to get out of my funk and grill up some bangers to quiet this crap down. 
    We have a good dust up every few years.  Most of us are friends.  I consider John a true friend even though we met via this forum.

• Campbell2N
    Campbell2N Posts: 175
    We have a good dust up every few years.  Most of us are friends.  I consider John a true friend even though we met via this forum.
    I get that and agree. I’m not saying don’t talk about current events because it is important. I don’t want to be a forum mod by any means, has just seemed a little contentious yesterday/today. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Yep.  

These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble.
  • JohnInCarolina

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837

Still better than bragging about shooting your dog in the gravel pit. At least the couch lived to fight another day. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,121
    edited July 28
    DoubleEgger said:
    Still better than bragging about shooting your dog in the gravel pit. At least the couch lived to fight another day. 
    Ah, guess I'm a bit slow today; I didn't get that cartoon at first (or my feeble brain rejects certain images from lingering....).  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Yep.  

These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble.
    Easy John…my grandparents were WWII people.   Had it not been for Hitler, they never would have met in Paris.   

Yes I see the irony and the paradox.   

I’m clearly kidding (with the Hitler deal) yet being serious with my grandparents meeting in Paris during the war.   

Grandfather was a tail gunner and grandmother was a nurse.    They met in Paris, married back in the States and ….  Well…
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Yep.  

Easy John…my grandparents were WWII people.   Had it not been for Hitler, they never would have met in Paris.   

I’m clearly kidding (with the Hitler deal) yet being serious with my grandparents meeting in Paris during the war.   

Grandfather was a tail gunner and grandmother was a nurse.    They met in Paris, married back in the States and ….  Well…
    That’s a quote from The Godfather.

Pretty cool about your grandparents, regardless!  
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Yep.  

That’s a quote from The Godfather.

Pretty cool about your grandparents, regardless!  
    Ahh, my bad on The Godfather quote, haven’t seen that in probably 30yrs (or so it seems).  

Time allegedly flies.   Nowadays seems like it flies 2x.  🤦‍♂️
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • JohnInCarolina

I wonder how Kristi’s feeling about her life choices these days.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837

I wonder how Kristi’s feeling about her life choices these days.
    She never really had a chance. Trump was always going to pick a male. 
  • JohnInCarolina

Someone suggested Trump has confused insane asylums with immigrants seeking asylum, and frankly that’s the simplest explanation I’ve seen for why he keeps on bringing up  Hannibal Lecter.   Otherwise, I’ve got nothing, and it sounds like maybe neither does he.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 28
    Since the @The_Buffalo has been generous and given this thread another day, I will write my mea culpa:

I went down the rabbit hole of "mis-gendering" and "assault".  Aside from some individuals on Tik-Tok or other social media platforms claiming they were assaulted, I was not able to find anything were someone was charged by government officials with assault for an accident or an incorrect guess.  People have been investigated, but unless it was willful, malicious, and repeated, it is not actionable.

I did find a number of articles on Title IX that make it clear how people could twist the intent and implementation to look like something it is not:

https://www.wusf.org/education/2024-04-23/title-ix-protections-now-extend-to-gender-identity-and-sexuality-heres-what-that-means-in-florida

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/19/1245858954/title-ix-changes-lgbtq-assault-victim-transgender-biden-administration

Here was a case where a complaint was brought, investigated, and the concluded misgendering did happen, but it wasn't intentional, persistent of malicious, so they dropped the case.

https://www.breslinlawgroup.com/blog/2023/10/2/is-misgendering-a-violation-of-state-or-federal-law

Repeatedly, deliberately, and maliciously misgendering can be seen as harassment.  Which is kind of a no brainer, repeatedly, deliberately, maliciously calling anyone something they do not want to called and singling them out for that could be harassment for many different categories.

Thank you to those who reached out and had more discussions on this topic.

From an article:

Conclusion

Misgendering can be more than just a mistake; it's a matter of respect and identity. While the legal landscape is still evolving, one thing's for sure: respect and understanding are always the right choice. Intentionally or maliciously misgendering someone in the workplace can have signifiant consequences, especially when it is persistent and could create a hostile work environment.

• JohnInCarolina
    Since the @The_Buffalo has been generous and given this thread another day, I will write my mea culpa:

I went down the rabbit hole of "mis-gendering" and "assault".  Aside from some individuals on Tik-Tok or other social media platforms claiming they were assaulted, I was not able to find anything were someone was charged by government officials with assault for an accident or an incorrect guess.  People have been investigated, but unless it was willful, malicious, and repeated, it is not actionable.

I did find a number of articles on Title IX that make it clear how people could twist the intent and implementation to look like something it is not:

https://www.wusf.org/education/2024-04-23/title-ix-protections-now-extend-to-gender-identity-and-sexuality-heres-what-that-means-in-florida

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/19/1245858954/title-ix-changes-lgbtq-assault-victim-transgender-biden-administration

Here was a case where a complaint was brought, investigated, and the concluded misgendering did happen, but it wasn't intentional, persistent of malicious, so they dropped the case.

https://www.breslinlawgroup.com/blog/2023/10/2/is-misgendering-a-violation-of-state-or-federal-law

Repeatedly, deliberately, and maliciously misgendering can be seen as harassment.  Which is kind of a no brainer, repeatedly, deliberately, maliciously calling anyone something they do not want to called and singling them out for that could be harassment for many different categories.

From an article:

Conclusion

Misgendering can be more than just a mistake; it's a matter of respect and identity. While the legal landscape is still evolving, one thing's for sure: respect and understanding are always the right choice. Intentionally or maliciously misgendering someone in the workplace can have signifiant consequences, especially when it is persistent and could create a hostile work environment.

Much respect my friend.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,292
    Fixed my shoe

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,121
    Did you trim them off at the bottom, or leave ‘em for extra traction?  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,132
    edited July 28

From an article:

Conclusion

Much respect my friend.
    💯 

I appreciate the introspection. Just fyi- This language is very common out there in “the man-osphere”. It started with Jordan Peterson but it’s been repeated ad-nauseam by Joe Rogan, Ben Shapiro, Matt Walsh and more. You would have to throw Elon in there as well.  They all have each other on their podcasts and circle jerk the same talking points over and over until it creeps into the national conversation. People hear it so much they just take it as real…and that is the plan (and it works) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,292
    Botch said:
    Did you trim them off at the bottom, or leave ‘em for extra traction?  
    They just fit but I do studd my ice fishing boots with carbide ATV studds....too many times hitting my head on the ice😁
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,714
    Resurrection -or I missed the fact that "It's Alive!" Young Frankenstein reference for the less senior crowd!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I appreciate the buffalo being hands off, unlike most politicians, but he can nuke this version already.  The old one is still alive and kicking.

• JohnInCarolina
    I appreciate the buffalo being hands off, unlike most politicians, but he can nuke this version already.  The old one is still alive and kicking.
    Mildly hilarious that when we want a thread nuked, we can’t get it to happen.  The Buffalo is an odd master.