Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing now? (2024)

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Or is it your view that you disavow your tenants so you get/remain elected to public office?
    You don’t have to disavow anything.  I don’t think there’s any inconsistency between holding personal, private religious views and advocating for a federal government that does not impose such views on everyone.  
    Like I just posted, did he ever distinguish between the two?

I would not have a problem if he came out and said “I do not personally agree with it, but for the sake of what Americans prefer…”.    Something along those lines…

He did not, to my knowledge.   

As Legume just said, I’ll do me, you do you then…

Good news, for us all, my vote counts the same as yours, unless….  I digress.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279
    Or is it your view that you disavow your tenants so you get/remain elected to public office?
    You don’t have to disavow anything.  I don’t think there’s any inconsistency between holding personal, private religious views and advocating for a federal government that does not impose such views on everyone.  
    Like I just posted, did he ever distinguish between the two?

I would not have a problem if he came out and said “I do not personally agree with it, but for the sake of what Americans prefer…”.    Something along those lines…

Yes he has.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    Uh no he has not.   
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,101
    That's kind of funny now that you explain it. So the expectation you have for him is that he clarify his religious belief and distinguish it from his professional opinion when he's actually doing the job he was elected to do. Do I have that right?

I've always just assumed religious beliefs are a personal thing.
    Not a felon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837
    edited July 26
    I still want to know what being raised in a black neighborhood or in a Puerto Rican church has to do with it. 
    I assumed I’d get crickets on this when pressing a little harder on the initial BS response. 
  • TechsasJim
    Legume said:
    That's kind of funny now that you explain it. So the expectation you have for him is that he clarify his religious belief and distinguish it from his professional opinion when he's actually doing the job he was elected to do. Do I have that right?

I've always just assumed religious beliefs are a personal thing.

So you have assumed one doesn’t blend into another?    

So you can separate personal beliefs that are “devout” from everything else as a world leader?    

Ok, good F’ing luck with that!    Personal beliefs are what makes every individual themselves.   

Let’s burn it down boys, it’s trending that way.  

• JohnInCarolina
    Uh no he has not.   
    He has said that he is a practicing Catholic, and so he does not personally believe in abortion, but that he believes Roe was correct for the country.  I’m not sure what more you would want.
  • Legume
    If I don't believe in abortion or eating pork, I won't have an abortion or eat pork. What I won't do is force that on others. Seems pretty simple to me.
    Not a felon
  • TechsasJim
    John he also said Trump was his VP.

Do you believe everything he has said?
  • Legume
    Maybe you just don't believe in separation of church and state or in freedom of religion.  Kind of a big part of being American though.
    Not a felon
  • DoubleEgger
    Legume said:
    Maybe you just don't believe in separation of church and state or in freedom of religion.  Kind of a big part of being American though.
    Most in the GOP don’t. 
  • TechsasJim
    Oh I believe, the then question becomes what matters to you more:   Church or State?

I’ll take Church 

• DoubleEgger
    edited July 26
    Oh I believe, the then question becomes what matters to you more:   Church or State?

I’ll take Church 

What if it’s a Puerto Rican church? You still in? 
  • Legume

I’ll take Church 

It's not a question of one or the other, it's not either or. It's what's right for you and what's right for the country that was literally founded on freedom of religion.
    Not a felon
  • TechsasJim
    You’re right.   That’s why we still say “In God We Trust”.  

Looked at a legal note of tender lately?
  • Legume
    Lots of gods, lots of religions and they all have their own beliefs and rules, etc.  America wasn't founded devoid of religion or in opposition to religion. Was that your point?
    Not a felon
  • TechsasJim
    No, your point is taken.   I actually am a fan of separation of church and state.  

But keep being a ****.   I get it.   
  • DoubleEgger
    No, your point is taken.   I actually am a fan of separation of church and state.  

But keep being a ****.   I get it.   
    Sure. When it’s not your church. 
  • TechsasJim
    Doubleegger, what church actively sanctions abortion?    I’m just asking because I’m unaware of any church that truly believes in Jesus that does.   Am I catholic, yes.   I don’t know of Protestant churches that do, but I do not claim to know everything.  

But hey, do you too…
  • TechsasJim
    I’ll add a caveat to all the above:   Rape and incest I fully understand.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited July 26

Well if your position has moved from:

"he never said it"

to

"well OK maybe he did say it but you shouldn't believe him"

then I think the argument is over.
  • DoubleEgger
    Doubleegger, what church actively sanctions abortion?    I’m just asking because I’m unaware of any church that truly believes in Jesus that does.   Am I catholic, yes.   I don’t know of Protestant churches that do, but I do not claim to know everything.  

But hey, do you too…
    I do know of one religion that covered up the rape and molestation of thousands of boys and young men over many, many years. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,714
    My God is bigger, better than your God.  So I make the governing rules here.  WTF-
    Separation of church and state is a founding principle. 
    No perspectives are gonna change here but it sure is good fun on a Friday PM.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim

Well if your position has moved from:

"he never said it"

to

"well OK maybe he did say it but you shouldn't believe him"

then I think the argument is over.
    Keep believing that Chief.  Do you man.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,714
    Kinda like the WDIB argument-Who's Richard is Bigger...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim

But hey, do you too…
    I do know of one religion that covered up the rape and molestation of thousands of boys and young men over many, many years. 

Cool, sounds like you may have found a home.   
  • Is a hotdog a sandwich?
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,121
    edited July 26
    TechsasJim said:

would have a problem with him saying that.  Thankfully (to my knowledge) he didn't.
    What he should have said is "I do not personally agree with it, but my job requires me to follow and defend the US Constitution".  Sadly, my own party has wiped its damn ass on that document/oath.  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• DoubleEgger
    edited July 26

But hey, do you too…

Cool, sounds like you may have found a home.   
    Sorry. I don’t believe in the magic man in the sky bullsh!t. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,121
    edited July 26
    Is a hotdog a sandwich?
    No.  A sandwich is layers of protein, veg and condiments layered between two distinct, separate slices of carbohydrate matter.
    A hotdog is a collection of protein, veg and condiments wrapped on three sides with one distinct piece of carbohydrate matter.  
    Therefore, a hotdog is NOT a sandwich.  It is a taco.  :tongue:  

Fight me!  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang