Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing now? (2024)

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Doubleegger, what church actively sanctions abortion?    I’m just asking because I’m unaware of any church that truly believes in Jesus that does.   Am I catholic, yes.   I don’t know of Protestant churches that do, but I do not claim to know everything.  

But hey, do you too…
    I do know of one religion that covered up the rape and molestation of thousands of boys and young men over many, many years. 

Cool, sounds like you may have found a home.   
    Sorry. I don’t believe in the magic man in the sky bullsh!t. 
    Easy enough.   We can end that there then.   Wish you well sir.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,315
    A hotdog is an American taco.

Biden has routinely lied and embellished his backstory.  Kind of like a Marvel super hero, ever new story had a slightly different background.

I think Kamala attacked Biden in the past for his segregationists votes.

On beliefs and tenents I am not sure how a person separates them.  They are who you are and they guide your decision making.

I am glad Biden can seperate his religious views from his votes, but that kind makes me think he isn’t sincere in his beliefs and he just uses them when convent.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• What about separation of church and HOA?  Should a good catholic make sure everyone on Maple St signed a paper about the rhythm method when closing on their house?  There is some serious head up ass on this thread. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,227
    What about separation of church and HOA?  Should a good catholic make sure everyone on Maple St signed a paper about the rhythm method when closing on their house?  There is some serious head up ass on this thread. 

The first problem is being in a HOA.  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Well it seems like some double talk is occurring where the alleged “small government low regulation” team sure gets hot and bothered inventing new ways to regulate microscopically and call it god’s (who is the only ultimate judge by the way) work. Sounds like an hoa to me. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    What about separation of church and HOA?  Should a good catholic make sure everyone on Maple St signed a paper about the rhythm method when closing on their house?  There is some serious head up ass on this thread. 
    Well if the HOA demands certain offspring then perhaps the by-laws should have been read before moving in (which would be crude in the US but could be a China topic with their laws).

Rhythm method is a much different topic man.   I get the sarcasm though.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Don't get me wrong, I am all for small government (not deregulation and privatization).

I also think the government should stay out of our private lives.  I don't care who you **** or who you love.  I also think doctors and patients should be making their own decisions.  However, parents should be involved in decisions relating to their children under 18, not the government or the schools.

I don't know the right way to do it, but I sure as **** know the wrong way we are doing it.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Also, I have no party.  I am liberal on social policies and fiscally conservative, small government, stay out of my way type.  Republican party and cult of Trump sure isn't me, but the Democrate force your way of life and views on me or cancel me is **** too.  Just like i think politicians getting involvd in abortion and limiting women's rights is ****.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279
    Also, I have no party.  I am liberal on social policies and fiscally conservative, small government, stay out of my way type.  Republican party and cult of Trump sure isn't me, but the Democrate force your way of life and views on me or cancel me is **** too.  Just like i think politicians getting involvd in abortion and limiting women's rights is ****.
    What, precisely, do you think the Democrats are trying to force you to believe?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837
    The only people being canceled are Republicans who speak out against Trump. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    When you mis-gender someone they call it assault? (I gladly call someone by what they want, but sometimes you screw up and guess wrong).
    When you don't subscribe to their ways they call you close minded and ignorant.  Regardless of science.  And then they turn around and attack Christians, because "science".
    Allowing transgender men to compete against women?  Heaven forbid you say, hey maybe that isn't right?
    Affirmative action?  How about merit?
    DEI makes sense for getting different perspectives and ideas, and I realize may standardized tests are biased, but people weaponize it and take it away from its value.

I would get into Vegans, but I think we can all agree, regardless of party, they are off their rocker.

• JohnInCarolina
    When you mis-gender someone they call it assault? (I gladly call someone by what they want, but sometimes you screw up and guess wrong).
    When you don't subscribe to their ways they call you close minded and ignorant.  Regardless of science.  And then they turn around and attack Christians, because "science".
    Allowing transgender men to compete against women?  Heaven forbid you say, hey maybe that isn't right?
    DEI makes sense for getting different perspectives and ideas, and I realize may standardized tests are biased, but people weaponize it and take it away from its value.

It sounds like what you’re describing are instances where people disagree with your perspective or basically just call you an ahole.  

Just because you don’t agree with them or think you don’t deserve it doesn’t mean they’re *forcing* you to believe anything.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837

I would get into Vegans, but I think we can all agree, regardless of party, they are off their rocker.

I’ll take a stab at affirmative action. Kennedy issued an executive order in 1961 covering affirmative action. Merit was a deciding factor prior only amongst white applicants. Minorities didn’t stand a chance (at least in the South). 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,714
    edited July 27
    In keeping with the objective this evening: (skip thru the first 33 seconds for the message).
    https://youtu.be/cH_FFiUMoLY
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,121
    However, parents should be involved in decisions relating to their children under 18, not the government or the schools.
    Here, I hesitate.  I've seen too many schoolboard screaming matches regarding religious and historical information being argued for/against.  

I consider myself fairly well-read, but I was flabbergasted about some things that came out during the BLM movement.  I'd never heard about the arson of "Black Wall Street", the actual aerial bombing of a Black wealthy section of town by our own feds, nor the violence against blacks under the Unions under, hell, I can't even remember which President.  I was NEVER educated about these things in Jr.Hi/HighSchool!  Every American should be, every last one of us, but guess who is screaming to "not make white people look bad"?  

I did have one very good History instructor in High School who taught the REAL history of Israel, which went against what I'd learned in the newspapers.  And another great professor in college; my final book report I mentioned that "Hey, this isn't what I learned earlier...".  He called me in, and the first thing he told me to do was look at the publisher of the book I had; I found it on the cover page, and said, "Uh, the John Birch Society?"  He offered me one additional assignment (was about one week left in the semester) to write a simple two-page paper on the John Birch Society, and wow.  What a gift!  (and not just from the raised grade alone!)  Those kind of instructors were worth their weight in Gold, and guess who is trying to silence them?

I grew up in white-bread Sioux Falls, SD.  I dearly loved my Father, but I have to say he was a racist, and I grew up that way, because it's a learned thing.  THANK GOD I got an ROTC scholarship, and worked in the AF for as long as I did; there were a LOT of "growing pains/learning events" involved, but I eventually advanced as an adult. I can't help but wonder if, we had a required 2-year service commitment for all Americans, we couldn't improve things.  

I'd have more to say tomorrow, but I don't expect this thread to be here then.  Thanks for letting me vent.  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,101
    I just spotted Dr. Jill Biden on TV
    Not a felon
  • I’m not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but I have to try. I guess this is one of those “missed connections” posts you would see on Craigslist or 4Chan if that is your thing. Anyway, here we go: I had an amazing one night stand someone who identified as female. I didn’t really pay attention but I will take her word for it. That’s not the important part but we had an amazing evening together. It did get a little weird and I’m afraid our love making got out of hand. I woke up the next morning and she was gone. The number she gave me doesn’t work her profiles on Grindr, 4chan, and Craigslist have been deleted. 

The only thing I have to go by is her proclaimed love for certain sexual proclivities and her love for cooking on the Big Green Egg. She shouted things “put your minimax in my xl” and “I like it low and low down there”. 

Does that sound familiar to anyone on here? I’m pretty sure her name was Alma. This is the last chance I have to find her. Any help would be much appreciated. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac

It sounds like what you’re describing are instances where people disagree with your perspective or basically just call you an ahole.  

Just because you don’t agree with them or think you don’t deserve it doesn’t mean they’re *forcing* you to believe anything.  
    I’ve actually never been called out.  I do my best to use the correct pronouns and identify as an ally.  I am glad to and also glad they are comfortable telling me what they want to be called.  I, however, think that misgendering is not “assault”.  That denigrates people who have been assaulted and downplays their experiences.  You calling me an **** proves my point about differing views.

I also agree with DEI and believe it adds a lot of value, group think ruins lots of stuff.  I agree with @DoubleEgger where “merit” was weaponized and gender, race, religion were eliminating factors.  I support DEI and I do understand the difficulty in actually creating a meritocracy.  We have generations of unfairness to try and unravel.

I do have an issue with transgender athletics.  I think we should have biological male, biological female, and transgender.  The fact I cannot say science shows there is a biologic difference in physical performance without being labeled a bigot also shows the issues I have.

These views label me an **** and a bigot by the left.  That is my issue and why I cannot support them.  Unless I tow the line I am a worthless piece of **** who should be cancelled.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    I am pissed at Jack Black for not supporting his bandmate and cowing to whiners.  **** it, the joke was funny.  People are to sensitive and Tenacious D shouldn’t be punished.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    I also grew up with George Carlin, Andrew Dice Clay, and Richard Pryor.  Those fuckers were hilarious.

• JohnInCarolina

I’ve actually never been called out.  I do my best to use the correct pronouns and identify as an ally.  I am glad to and also glad they are comfortable telling me what they want to be called.  I, however, think that misgendering is not “assault”.  That denigrates people who have been assaulted and downplays their experiences.  You calling me an **** proves my point about differing views.

I also agree with DEI and believe it adds a lot of value, group think ruins lots of stuff.  I agree with @DoubleEgger where “merit” was weaponized and gender, race, religion were eliminating factors.  I support DEI and I do understand the difficulty in actually creating a meritocracy.  We have generations of unfairness to try and unravel.

I do have an issue with transgender athletics.  I think we should have biological male, biological female, and transgender.  The fact I cannot say science shows there is a biologic difference in physical performance without being labeled a bigot also shows the issues I have.

These views label me an **** and a bigot by the left.  That is my issue and why I cannot support them.  Unless I tow the line I am a worthless piece of **** who should be cancelled.
    FFS Oz I did not call you an ahole.  I described other people calling you that, because that’s just the way it sounded to me.

Is misgendering actually legally considered assault anywhere?  It’s possible I suppose but I haven’t seen it.  If it’s a law it’s probably designed for harassment, not an innocent mistake.  

Regarding transgender athletes, what I don’t understand is why so many people get so upset about so very few people (from a very much minority group) at the end of the day.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac

FFS Oz I did not call you an ahole.  I described other people calling you that, because that’s just the way it sounded to me.

Is misgendering actually legally considered assault anywhere?  It’s possible I suppose but I haven’t seen it.  If it’s a law it’s probably designed for harassment, not an innocent mistake.  

Regarding transgender athletes, what I don’t understand is why so many people get so upset about so very few people (from a very much minority group) at the end of the day.  
    The athletics is a big deal because “there can be only one” …. when a mediocre male swimmer (still phenomenal as a male by general population standards) decides after a year of hormone therapy they can compete with women it impacts every single women who worked their entire life to compete at the highest level they were capable of.  Then an individual who was a biological man pops in and competes it isn’t fair.  That is why we have had male & female sports.  Suddenly their feelings are more important than the 1000s of others competing?  Look at male world records compared to female
    records then ask yourself, is it fair for an individual who was a biological male and all the growth, muscle, skeletal, etc that entails is fair to compete against women because they deep down inside feel like they are a women?  I 100% believe they feel and identify as a women, and I support that and will pronoun them correctly and use the name they choose.  I don’t care about any of that.  I also don’t care about gender neutral bathrooms, or clothes, or whatever.  I do care when a male decides to compete physically against women.

make a new category, make 10 new categories, I don’t care.  But group people fairly.

I don’t have an answer and fortunately it is something I have never experi, but from the outside looking in it seems unfair.  

• JohnInCarolina

The athletics is a big deal because “there can be only one” …. when a mediocre male swimmer (still phenomenal as a male by general population standards) decides after a year of hormone therapy they can compete with women it impacts every single women who worked their entire life to compete at the highest level they were capable of.  Then an individual who was a biological man pops in and competes it isn’t fair.  That is why we have had male & female sports.  Suddenly their feelings are more important than the 1000s of others competing?  Look at male world records compared to female
    records then ask yourself, is it fair for an individual who was a biological male and all the growth, muscle, skeletal, etc that entails is fair to compete against women because they deep down inside feel like they are a women?  I 100% believe they feel and identify as a women, and I support that and will pronoun them correctly and use the name they choose.  I don’t care about any of that.  I also don’t care about gender neutral bathrooms, or clothes, or whatever.  I do care when a male decides to compete physically against women.

make a new category, make 10 new categories, I don’t care.  But group people fairly.

I don’t have an answer and fortunately it is something I have never experi, but from the outside looking in it seems unfair.  
    I think the number of times something like this has actually happened is incredibly small. 

So mostly people getting wrapped around the axle over this kind of thing ends up impacting a small handful of trans kids who are not actually Olympic or even college-bound athletes.  They’re just young people trying to find their way in this world, trying to fit in.

Obviously at the collegiate and professional levels we have to figure out how all the hormones genuinely impact performance and so forth.  I don’t think there are easy answers to that, but the level of energy this topic has consumed in our society is way out of proportion to the actual issue, in my opinion.  And mostly the kids that get hurt are not the “cheated athletes” but the kids who are trans.  

I don’t know I guess my views are very much informed by friends with trans kids.  I’ve seen how hard it is for them, and I tend to empathize with people whose path in this life from the jump is as rough as it gets.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 27

I think the number of times something like this has actually happened is incredibly small. 

So mostly people getting wrapped around the axle over this kind of thing ends up impacting a small handful of trans kids who are not actually Olympic or even college-bound athletes.  They’re just young people trying to find their way in this world, trying to fit in.

Obviously at the collegiate and professional levels we have to figure out how all the hormones genuinely impact performance and so forth.  I don’t think there are easy answers to that, but the level of energy this topic has consumed in our society is way out of proportion to the actual issue, in my opinion.  And mostly the kids that get hurt are not the “cheated athletes” but the kids who are trans.  

I don’t know I guess my views are very much informed by friends with trans kids.  I’ve seen how hard it is for them, and I tend to empathize with people whose path in this life from the jump is as rough as it gets.
    Huh.  Okay my gears just ground to a halt.  Funny thing, as kids it wouldn’t bother me at all.  Kids don’t really even care about winning.  The parents do.

If I back it out of the collegiate/professional level then my level of give a **** drops to about zero.  I never looked at it from that angle.  It wouldn’t really bother me below say high school level when kids are competing for scholarships.

• JohnInCarolina

Huh.  Okay my gears just ground to a halt.  Funny thing, as kids it wouldn’t bother me at all.  Kids don’t really even care about winning.  The parents do.

If I back it out of the collegiate/professional level then my level of give a **** drops to about zero.  I never looked at it from that angle.  It wouldn’t really bother me below say high school level when kids are competing for scholarships.
    Right so now put yourself in the shoes of a high school trans athlete, who’s really pretty average period, and is just trying to fit in with other kids on a team, and they hear a conversation on the TV or by adults about how unfair it is for trans athletes to compete in college.

What do they hear?  I suspect it’s some version of “you will never be a normal female/male, no matter how much you look like or feel like one”.

All of this because people are worried about something that’s mostly a hypothetical at the moment.    
  • JohnInCarolina
    And by the way, the right wants you worked up about this.  They want you to be watching the Olympics and wondering if every third athlete is trans, and thinking about how unfair that could be, and blaming the Democrats for letting it happen.

This topic is 99% astroturfed.  The right tried it years ago with the bathrooms.  That didn’t get people upset enough.  But when they stumbled on the unfairness of trans athletes … whooo boy they hit the jackpot.  This topic gets people worked up like nobody’s business.  And it’s not the reality. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I have tried to instill in my kids the thought that there is no “normal”.  Everyone is unique in their own way.  Don’t judge others just be kind and try to understand.

Is it wrong for kids to acknowledge they are not normal, embrace it, and understand happiness will never come from the world around them?

My heart breaks for all **** kids do to each other.  Kids are honestly the cruelest creatures.  My daughter found a page dedicated to calling her ugly and posting unflattering pictures.  School couldn’t do anything.  It hurt my daughter a lot, fortunately, she has a **** you attitude.  She understands we love her, her friends love her, and her animals love her.  Other people will always try to take that away.

• JohnInCarolina
    I have tried to instill in my kids the thought that there is no “normal”.  Everyone is unique in their own way.  Don’t judge others just be kind and try to understand.

Is it wrong for kids to acknowledge they are not normal, embrace it, and understand happiness will never come from the world around them?

My heart breaks for all **** kids do to each other.  Kids are honestly the cruelest creatures.  My daughter found a page dedicated to calling her ugly and posting unflattering pictures.  School couldn’t do anything.  It hurt my daughter a lot, fortunately, she has a **** you attitude.  She understands we love her, her friends love her, and her animals love her.  Other people will always try to take that away.
    Instead of normal, use the word “belong” if it’s easier to empathize with.  They’re hearing they’ll never belong.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 27

Instead of normal, use the word “belong” if it’s easier to empathize with.  They’re hearing they’ll never belong.  
    Ah, okay, that is a word I can empathize with.  Being excluded, an outcast, no tribe, is probably one of the worst ways for someone to feel.  I would never want anyone to feel like they didn’t belong.  I always try to bring the quiet shy ones into my sphere.  In my previous life I always wanted to hear from those outside the loud core group.  They usually had great ideas and as soon as others saw that they would start being included.

• JohnInCarolina
    Palette cleanser: