Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing now? (2024)

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,315
    Getting ready for the first day of school. Our youngest is going into the 8th grade. We decided to move her to a fully remote, online school after having problems last year at a traditional school. Hopefully it works out. 
    My son did full online school.  The programs have really gotten good and we found the actual education better.  Same with teacher/counselor time and attention.  My daughter did it too and we liked it.  She is now back at in person, and personally I would have preferred she stayed online.  We found it really helped if they have some in personal social activities.  What is nice is they get to choose their groups instead of randomly being assigned a class to spend all day in person with.
    We were sort of forced to go in this direction. She was attending a performing arts magnet school this last two years that totally changed who she was. We found out that she was getting bullied to the point that she was have suicidal ideations and was self harming. She had to go to an intensive in patient and then out patient program at the end of the last school year. Scary things to deal with. We certainly weren’t sending her back and she was happy to give the online school a try. She has the option to go back to in person next year for high school, but I think she will like staying home. 
    I am glad you caught it.  My son went through a lot of bullying.  We didn’t realize how bad it was because he wouldn’t talk about it.  Manifested in a lot of ways I wish I had been more aware of.  Online school was a huge blessing for him.  COVID was good for us.

Not sure of your experience but the school and administration was completely worthless pieces of dog ****.  I hate them and everything they did.  Bringing it to their attention made it worse.  I **** hate all
    of them, but I digress.  Good on you for recognizing and helping her!!

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,509
    Getting ready for the first day of school. Our youngest is going into the 8th grade. We decided to move her to a fully remote, online school after having problems last year at a traditional school. Hopefully it works out. 
    My son did full online school.  The programs have really gotten good and we found the actual education better.  Same with teacher/counselor time and attention.  My daughter did it too and we liked it.  She is now back at in person, and personally I would have preferred she stayed online.  We found it really helped if they have some in personal social activities.  What is nice is they get to choose their groups instead of randomly being assigned a class to spend all day in person with.
    We were sort of forced to go in this direction. She was attending a performing arts magnet school this last two years that totally changed who she was. We found out that she was getting bullied to the point that she was have suicidal ideations and was self harming. She had to go to an intensive in patient and then out patient program at the end of the last school year. Scary things to deal with. We certainly weren’t sending her back and she was happy to give the online school a try. She has the option to go back to in person next year for high school, but I think she will like staying home. 
    I am glad you caught it.  My son went through a lot of bullying.  We didn’t realize how bad it was because he wouldn’t talk about it.  Manifested in a lot of ways I wish I had been more aware of.  Online school was a huge blessing for him.  COVID was good for us.

Not sure of your experience but the school and administration was completely worthless pieces of dog ****.  I hate them and everything they did.  Bringing it to their attention made it worse.  I **** hate all
    Our situation is very similar. She would not tell us, but she told her brother, who told us. If it was just her getting messed with, I don’t think she would have said anything, but her whole group was having problems with another group. We brought it up to the school administration. The main girl got some in school suspension after their “investigation”. A few weeks later the girl brought a taser to school and made vague threats with it. Not too sure if they would have done more if I didn’t start bringing up making sure that I would do everything in my power to have to administers investigated for child endangerment. 

At the end of the day, my daughter is working through a bunch of issues and seems to be getting better. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 12

Our situation is very similar. She would not tell us, but she told her brother, who told us. If it was just her getting messed with, I don’t think she would have said anything, but her whole group was having problems with another group. We brought it up to the school administration. The main girl got some in school suspension after their “investigation”. A few weeks later the girl brought a taser to school and made vague threats with it. Not too sure if they would have done more if I didn’t start bringing up making sure that I would do everything in my power to have to administers investigated for child endangerment. 

At the end of the day, my daughter is working through a bunch of issues and seems to be getting better. 
    We raised holy hell and eventually had to get a lawyer involved (I swore I wouldn’t be the “guy” but they didn’t leave me much room).  They didn’t actually fix the issue, but they did fire the principal.  Honestly, she was a scape goat for some higher level administration policies.  She implemented their polices and they fired her for it, without looking into the actual policies.  Dog & Pony show.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,014
    just checking if this is alive and well, or sunken, it's Friday after all.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Energizer bunny
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279
    I’m hustling at bingo.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 247
    at work from home. bit of a valley, haven't egged for weeks, no initiative to do it, and don't see any in the foreseeable future. kind of let my personal coding projects slide as well. just lost interest in doing much of anything other than earn the paycheck.
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • Canugghead
    just lost interest in doing much of anything other than earn the paycheck
    @zaphod don't make the same mistake as this old fart
    canuckland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,671
    Got my second shingles vax shot in the arm this afternoon.  Ouch.  Might have to sample some brown water tonight to help take the edge off.  The nurse suggested Advil, but, come on man it's Friday.  
    I did that 3 years or so ago. The first one was easy to find then the pharmacy closed and I had to search about 10 different ones to locate the second one. Since my family has an unfortunate history with shingles I considered it worth the trouble. Despite my urging, my dad had his second case of shingles before he got his second shot. Add a younger sister and a 30 something niece to that list. I can learn by others misfortune occasionally.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279
    Got my second shingles vax shot in the arm this afternoon.  Ouch.  Might have to sample some brown water tonight to help take the edge off.  The nurse suggested Advil, but, come on man it's Friday.  
    I did that 3 years or so ago. The first one was easy to find then the pharmacy closed and I had to search about 10 different ones to locate the second one. Since my family has an unfortunate history with shingles I considered it worth the trouble. Despite my urging, my dad had his second case of shingles before he got his second shot. Add a younger sister and a 30 something niece to that list. I can learn by others misfortune occasionally.
    Mine were both just through my PCP, so it was pretty easy. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,390
    Picked up 5 gallons of Windex, $7/gal.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    dbCooper said:

I like the jug!

• Canugghead
    Does it work as well as bleach?

canuckland
  • dbCooper
    Does it work as well as bleach?

Avgas 100LL, anything bleach can do it can do better, plus keeps the old Chevy happy when mixed 1:2 with premium pump gas.
    Great Plains, USA
  • zaphod
    just lost interest in doing much of anything other than earn the paycheck
    @zaphod don't make the same mistake as this old fart
    I do not know what that old fart did, so I might make the same mistake :) 
    ~~
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,227
    dbCooper said:

What are you wrenching on under the Vette? Brakes?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dbCooper
    @WeberWho - Yes brake issue, master cylinder leak.  While laid up waiting for rebuilt kit to arrive decided to flush cooling system.  I like to remove block plugs when flushing, so up on jackstands.  Also decided might as well repack front wheel bearings.  No work has started yet
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,714
    @dbCooper - wish I had your wrenching skills as also demonstrated by many others here ( @WeberWho is top dead center) but no such luck. Take excellent care of that ride as Hannah is counting on you for the obligatory road trip buy!  😎💵
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Dobie said:
    Got up on the house roof and cleaned red algae looking stuff off the skylight that had been growing over it. Steep roof pitch, not fun. Wife providing ground support and ready to call 911 but wasn’t necessary. Sipping brown water to celebrate not dropping 25 feet into the hedges 🥃
    My roof climbing days are over, this is what I use while standing on 6-ft ladder to clear dead leaves from the 2-story evestrough.

canuckland
  • zaphod
    I use something like that which I built from 2" abs pipe with an adapter for my 60 l (16 gal) shopvac. sucks the crap right out of the gutters as I stand safe on the ground.  When I was younger I would take the shopvac up on the roof with me. Took the wheels off it, but still dropped it over the edge of a 2 story house once. cracked the housing, but still works 20 years later.
    ~~
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    @Canugghead that’s probably the last time for me, the best tool in my workbench is usually my wallet 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Will there be a 2025 edition of this thread in January, and if so, will it be a new thread, or a continuation of this one?

Just planning ahead. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,714
    Will there be a 2025 edition of this thread in January, and if so, will it be a new thread, or a continuation of this one?

Just planning ahead. 
    Let's poll the collective here and see where we land. @Ozzie_Isaac has one more vote than the rest of us but what say you?
    I vote for the annual restart (for 2025 hold off til April) with a steer back to this historical collection started in March 2015. (Lock in 10 years!)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 26
    lousubcap said:
    Will there be a 2025 edition of this thread in January, and if so, will it be a new thread, or a continuation of this one?

Just planning ahead. 
    Let's poll the collective here and see where we land. @Ozzie_Isaac has one more vote than the rest of us but what say you?
    I vote for the annual restart (for 2025 hold off til April) with a steer back to this historical collection started in March 2015. (Lock in 10 years!)
    I’m all for a restart.  The OG one will go funky in about a year because it will hit the vanilla time limit.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,671
    An annual edition is probably for the best. New year, new start.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,101
    I think the original thread now has resting glitch face and I'm kind of over it, let it live on undisturbed.
    Not a felon
  • Canugghead
    edited August 26
    zaphod said:
    I use something like that which I built from 2" abs pipe with an adapter for my 60 l (16 gal) shopvac. sucks the crap right out of the gutters as I stand safe on the ground.  When I was younger I would take the shopvac up on the roof with me. Took the wheels off it, but still dropped it over the edge of a 2 story house once. cracked the housing, but still works 20 years later.
    Love it. Where were you when I was looking for a solution? To be honest, what I got is a PITA to use and waste tons of water, I may just cut my losses and get a couple of 12-ft ABS. To save me googling, do you remember the deets on the adapter?
    Edit: never mind, I can just take the hose to HD and figure it out on the spot. 
    canuckland
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    Hmmm thinking a long flexible shop vac hose attached to an adjustable length pole like the ones on the tree pole saws 🤔
    Jacksonville FL