Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing now? (2024)

Comments

• Campbell2N
    Campbell2N Posts: 175
    Legume said:

I guess what I need to do right now is replan for retirement.
    I’ve been retired since the day I started working. It’s a mindset, not a lifestyle. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,315
    Legume said:

I guess what I need to do right now is replan for retirement.
    Unions, workers rights, Sullivan-Hoey Fire Prevention Law, etc all waste good money too.  Not sure why we companies shouldn't be making money off the backs of people who are still mobile.  Even if they aren't mobile, they can answer phones.  Put'em to work!!  Free Market!!

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Shaving related….

We have an electrician in right now doing lots of work in our (old) house. He is fantastic. In anticipation of him doing some wiring in the bedroom among many other jobs, I opened the bottom drawer of my nightstand and was making some space for books when, lo and behold, I found something I had been searching for since moving to this house four years ago….

A brand new, never used Rockwell 6S. Truly exceptional, all stainless steel DESR at a great price - especially when on sale. This one was intended as a backup, but I just couldn’t find it the last few years. I had recently been looking for it because I sometimes shave in the downstairs bathroom rather than upstairs, so I thought it would be easier to keep one in each bathroom than to move a single razor around the house - especially since my choice of bathroom is often predicated on not wanting to wake the family. 

I have one more brand new 6S hidden in the house. That one, the set for which includes many other goodies, goes to my son when he turns 16 - over a decade from now. I was thinking ahead when I ordered it a few years back. 

I think it was @weberwho and I exchanging about the heartache we felt over lost items. Consider this mystery solved. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,714
    Better to be lucky than good right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,227
    Shaving related….

We have an electrician in right now doing lots of work in our (old) house. He is fantastic. In anticipation of him doing some wiring in the bedroom among many other jobs, I opened the bottom drawer of my nightstand and was making some space for books when, lo and behold, I found something I had been searching for since moving to this house four years ago….

A brand new, never used Rockwell 6S. Truly exceptional, all stainless steel DESR at a great price - especially when on sale. This one was intended as a backup, but I just couldn’t find it the last few years. I had recently been looking for it because I sometimes shave in the downstairs bathroom rather than upstairs, so I thought it would be easier to keep one in each bathroom than to move a single razor around the house - especially since my choice of bathroom is often predicated on not wanting to wake the family. 

I have one more brand new 6S hidden in the house. That one, the set for which includes many other goodies, goes to my son when he turns 16 - over a decade from now. I was thinking ahead when I ordered it a few years back. 

I think it was @weberwho and I exchanging about the heartache we felt over lost items. Consider this mystery solved. 

Such a good feeling! Nicely done!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837
    One of the last people I’d take advice from is Ben Shapiro. 
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 247
    CPFC1905 said:
    zaphod said:
    hah. no  - I'm only shaving one head :) so three uses per blade.
    Splendid. Back to the Vogon poetry. 

But do you know why the answer is 42?  Genuine question, because I do know.
    i'll let you share - your story :)
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • zaphod
    Botch said:
    Hitchhiker's Guide was one of the most disappointing books I've ever read (if that's even what you're talking about). 
    yep, that's the one. I fell into the hole back in 1981 or so when the CBC played the original series. So yeah, off the radio is, IMHO the only way to have the story told. I have the books, the book of the commented scripts (Adams and Geoffrey Perkins), the BBC TV series (laserdisc), and of course a copy of the radio series which is the best. The movies were okay.
    ~~
  • zaphod
    hah - merry early Christmas to you @GrateEggspectations

~~
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,121
    zaphod said:
    Botch said:
    Hitchhiker's Guide was one of the most disappointing books I've ever read (if that's even what you're talking about). 
    yep, that's the one. I fell into the hole back in 1981 or so when the CBC played the original series. So yeah, off the radio is, IMHO the only way to have the story told. I have the books, the book of the commented scripts (Adams and Geoffrey Perkins), the BBC TV series (laserdisc), and of course a copy of the radio series which is the best. The movies were okay.
    Obviously you enjoyed it more than I did.   ;)  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,960
    Botch said:
    Level 42 is one of my all-time favorite bands, on the other hand.  
    Who, among several others - took their name from A Clockwork Orange.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CPFC1905
    zaphod said:
    Botch said:
    The original radio version, then the BBC series only for me.  The films were, shall we say - best not discussed? 
  • CPFC1905
    zaphod said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    zaphod said:
    hah. no  - I'm only shaving one head :) so three uses per blade.
    Splendid. Back to the Vogon poetry. 

But do you know why the answer is 42?  Genuine question, because I do know.
    i'll let you share - your story :)
    DA was a huge cricket fan, and most of all MCC member - along with being a close friend of Stephen Fry and the Mac early adopter.

Cricket has no rules.  It has laws. There are 42 of them. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac

• lousubcap
    Hopefully the venue in Lockhart as that is the real deal.  She has got her priorities right.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 10
    Mondo Duplantis, @JohnInCarolina ‘s cousin has done well in the Olympics.  The Swede also has his own color-way on the Omega catalogue for an Aqua-Terra Ultralight.  Pretty sweet!  He wore one while smashing his own WR.

Had a full titanium case, face, and movement!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279
    Mondo Duplantis, @JohnInCarolina ‘s cousin has done well in the Olympics.  The Swede also has his own color-way on the Omega catalogue for an Aqua-Terra Ultralight.  Pretty sweet!  He wore one while smashing his own WR.

Had a full titanium case, face, and movement!

Mondo is incredible.  

I also really appreciated this story about him and Sha’Carri Richardson.  Apparently they came into LSU as freshmen together:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/us/olympics/news-sha-carri-richardson-reacts-mondo-duplantis-winning-gold-breaking-world-record-paris-olympics
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279
    Nice win for gold by the US Women’s team!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Playing with pancake.  When temp is removed from the equation, it is amazing how small details make a difference!

Playing with time, and the amount of butter in pan makes a huge difference.  Time to start taking notes when I cook things and get serious about details.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    I was so excited, my daughter called and asked if I could help her make beef tallow!  I said sure, what are you cooking with it?

she said it’s for a body lotion!?  lol.  I guess it is a thing.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,121
    I was so excited, my daughter called and asked if I could help her make beef tallow!  I said sure, what are you cooking with it?

Hope she doesn't have a cat.  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:

Hope she doesn't have a cat.  
    Oh, we are not cat people.  We would all
    doe from allergies.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,014
    Damn, I have it on PVR and you ruined it for me  =)
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Damn, I have it on PVR and you ruined it for me  =)
    @Canugghead - I DVR my regular TV viewing (primarily limited to news and sports).  Knowing when the match happened (start 11 AM EDT) and my schedule I did not access any TV or internet (including the forum) until I watched the match.  You've got time to practice as the next Olympics (Winter games) are in Italy (same time off-set) in 2026.  
    The real bonus of DVR is eliminating all the commercials (granted limited to half-time in soccer/aka football, futbol) as you well know.  I do have to plan ahead for any special events that aren't on the auto record plan.  
    BTW- F1 racing goes on w/o commercials as well but the DVR feature enables race viewing compression during the lulls.   ;)
  • Canugghead
    @lousubcap Lesson learned, skipping commercials is definitely a bonus. I have been MIA for a few days so I thought I'd check on the state of the union, lol. I'm not a F1 fan btw :)
    canuckland
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,509
    Getting ready for the first day of school. Our youngest is going into the 8th grade. We decided to move her to a fully remote, online school after having problems last year at a traditional school. Hopefully it works out. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Getting ready for the first day of school. Our youngest is going into the 8th grade. We decided to move her to a fully remote, online school after having problems last year at a traditional school. Hopefully it works out. 
    My son did full online school.  The programs have really gotten good and we found the actual education better.  Same with teacher/counselor time and attention.  My daughter did it too and we liked it.  She is now back at in person, and personally I would have preferred she stayed online.  We found it really helped if they have some in personal social activities.  What is nice is they get to choose their groups instead of randomly being assigned a class to spend all day in person with.

• Canugghead
    Toilet tank fill valve sprung a leak, filling non stop. Turned out the seal is fine, a piece of debris was the culpritl
    Full disclosure: Due to neglect a faucet washer in another washroom literally disintegrated and I replaced it earlier in the day  :)

canuckland
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,509
    My son did full online school.  The programs have really gotten good and we found the actual education better.  Same with teacher/counselor time and attention.  My daughter did it too and we liked it.  She is now back at in person, and personally I would have preferred she stayed online.  We found it really helped if they have some in personal social activities.  What is nice is they get to choose their groups instead of randomly being assigned a class to spend all day in person with.
    We were sort of forced to go in this direction. She was attending a performing arts magnet school this last two years that totally changed who she was. We found out that she was getting bullied to the point that she was have suicidal ideations and was self harming. She had to go to an intensive in patient and then out patient program at the end of the last school year. Scary things to deal with. We certainly weren’t sending her back and she was happy to give the online school a try. She has the option to go back to in person next year for high school, but I think she will like staying home. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,227
    We were sort of forced to go in this direction. She was attending a performing arts magnet school this last two years that totally changed who she was. We found out that she was getting bullied to the point that she was have suicidal ideations and was self harming. She had to go to an intensive in patient and then out patient program at the end of the last school year. Scary things to deal with. We certainly weren’t sending her back and she was happy to give the online school a try. She has the option to go back to in person next year for high school, but I think she will like staying home. 

Sorry to hear about the trouble your daughter has gone through. Your daughter is lucky to have a family that cares for her and has her best interest. Wishing you and your family all the best. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota