Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you eating… right now?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,275
    I have made it in  2 hours before, as long as the chicken was already cooked.  However, if you can let it simmer for 3-4 it is much better.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,262
    Not eating yet, but making a very very very fancy one pot lasagna.  Daughter sent me a tik-tok so I am trying to recreate it.  Added a few different tricks to get more depth of flavor, but basically a 20min internet generation meal.  Daughter’s friends are coming over too.  Whenever I do one of these throw-away meals her friends always come and try them 😂😂🤦‍♂️

I am using some of the concepts from Spaghetti All’assassina

Ragu.....that's my mother's recipe....add milk to it, makes a decent tomato soup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,224
    Ragu.....that's my mother's recipe....add milk to it, makes a decent tomato soup

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman

in later years the ragu was changed to a cold can of hunts poured directly on the pasta.........i would not go to school without 45 cents for the chefboyarde from the vending machine, no way was i letting mom make lunch......i remember company coming over for dinner, mom pulled the lasagna out of the oven, the ricotta and mozz were still on the counter =) not a cook
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,659

in later years the ragu was changed to a cold can of hunts poured directly on the pasta.........i would not go to school without 45 cents for the chefboyarde from the vending machine, no way was i letting mom make lunch......i remember company coming over for dinner, mom pulled the lasagna out of the oven, the ricotta and mozz were still on the counter =) not a cook
    Mine wasn’t that bad but I still remember the horrible things that she did to steak. Ketchup could barely fix it.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,817
    Mine wasn’t that bad but I still remember the horrible things that she did to steak. Ketchup could barely fix it.
    I hated steak as a kid and then I found out it doesn't always have to have the texture and/or taste of shoe leather. It was a real eye opener.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,084
    RSVP to a wedding in May.  Filet, blackened salmon, chicken parm and veg pasta are the four entree choices.  What say you for a big wedding?
    Not a felon
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,818
    Filet

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,801
    shtgunal3 said:
    Filet
    Agreed. It’s a good base for the booze. Salmon can be iffy (it will be overcooked) and chicken parm is too heavy and messy. No need to comment on the veggie pasta…
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,818
    ^^^I’d hit it^^^

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fishlessman

Frozen supermarket mashed potatoes.....ma, these potatoes are still frozen...they are fine.....I can't stick a fork in it.....😁
    I had two second moms growing up on the street......I did eat well
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Legume said:
    RSVP to a wedding in May.  Filet, blackened salmon, chicken parm and veg pasta are the four entree choices.  What say you for a big wedding?
    Going against the grain here, I would go with the salmon.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Legume said:
    Going against the grain here, I would go with the salmon.
    What are the booze choices? Can’t have red wine with fish. The chicken parm is an open invitation to a suit stain and veg pasta seems like a punishment.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,084
    I went with the salmon, sent it in before I posted.

If it wasn't blackened I probably would've chosen filet.
    Not a felon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    I hated steak as a kid and then I found out it doesn't always have to have the texture and/or taste of shoe leather. It was a real eye opener.
    Yes once I headed off to college I tried medium well steak, then medium and even medium rare. All as funds permitted, that is so over 2 or 3 years. A revelation indeed.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,985
    edited April 24
    Amazing read with the Mother admissions! Growing up the only "steak" I ever heard about much less NEVER had any was annually on my Father's birthday my Mother would buy and cook him a small round steak! While I never had any of it he would always love giving that small round bone to our dog. Honestly I think that was the only "extravagance" my Father ever got!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    I would go to college until my funds were exhausted and then work construction until I could go to school again. So that took me about as long as you took to get your BS and MS. Steak was a rarity but every few months I would indulge.
    Growing up my family would buy a half or whole calf from my farmer uncle. Steak cost no more than hamburger that way, it’s all in how the local butcher packaged it for us. It even made us appreciate liver because we could only have it 3 or 4 times a year. A large portion of our diet actually came from gardens and we also did some fishing.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,513
    Funny! Our nephew is wrapping up his freshman year at IU. Since he’s here, we treat him to the usual laundry service, Target trips, and food. He called me last week asking for something off the egg. I suggested steaks. He came back with “I was thinking burgers. I don’t like steak!” Growing up we ate steak often. I decided at a young age the a medium rare ribeye was my jam. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    Legume said:

when i see choices like this i envision it served on small plates......smuggling in an italian sub is always an option =) veg pasta is an entree?
    fukahwee maine

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 422
    All very interesting. I've had too many poor steak experiences at second-rate restaurants, so unless the place is clearly good at it, I'd much rather have a burger. In fact, cheeseburgers are my all-time favorite food. But at home with me cooking it, I'll take the steak. There are two cuts I go to: NY Strip for eatin' and Tri-Tip for sandwiches later.
    When I was a kid, steaks were about 1 cm thick and tough. Mom (and Dad, too) just hadn't had the opportunity to learn otherwise.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,991
    Salisbury steak with gravy for the win  =)
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 24
    Yum!  With mashed potatoes and a gravy made with mushrooms?

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,077
    Corv said:
    All very interesting. I've had too many poor steak experiences at second-rate restaurants, so unless the place is clearly good at it, I'd much rather have a burger. In fact, cheeseburgers are my all-time favorite food. But at home with me cooking it, I'll take the steak. There are two cuts I go to: NY Strip for eatin' and Tri-Tip for sandwiches later.
    When I was a kid, steaks were about 1 cm thick and tough. Mom (and Dad, too) just hadn't had the opportunity to learn otherwise.
    I am firmly in this camp!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman

mom would say pick a number 1-10. kids would say for her to write it down first. mom would say fine and just took the hungryman frozen salisbury steak tv dinner everytime for herself.......that was the only good one in the freezer. im thinking that one just cost a little more than the others because why not buy 5 salisbury steak dinners. childhood memories, almost want to go buy one,.......
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 24

mom would say pick a number 1-10. kids would say for her to write it down first. mom would say fine and just took the hungryman frozen salisbury steak tv dinner everytime for herself.......that was the only good one in the freezer. im thinking that one just cost a little more than the others because why not buy 5 salisbury steak dinners. childhood memories, almost want to go buy one,.......
    A real treat for me was the Boston Market Meatloaf frozen dinner.  The meatloaf dipped in the rehydrated potato mash was heavenly.  No dessert though.

The Hungary Man came with a brownie that tasted great if you just imagined brownie flavor while chewing the play-doh like bar.

• fishlessman
    these are what got me thru college, 6 for a buck and sometimes they went on sale.  mom prepared me for this......

Morton Pot PiesHands down the BEST pot pie EVER made  rnostalgia

fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    @fishlessman, could she cook them without burning the crust? Rice a Roni, Mac and cheese, and pop tarts were popular in my dorm. Though a guy from Philadelphia PN did teach me how to make great spaghetti.