Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st run with Ooni Koda 16

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @danhoo - you saved me a few weekends of experimenting. Thanks for the intel.

I found the ooni app a couple of days ago, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Any recipes on the app that you recommend? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    CTMike said:
    www.pizzamaking.com is a great resource for all things pizza, but I’ll warn you - that particular rabbit hole is very deep. 
    I've tried (and failed) to resist the siren call of  the pizza rabbithole for some years. All I need now is another cooking/food forum to render me completely useless at work.  

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited January 2023
    Options
    caliking said:

I found the ooni app a couple of days ago, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Any recipes on the app that you recommend? 
    The one I posted above is good for 00 flour and supposedly good for high temp up to 900F.  If I had more time I'd extend the cold proofing to 36 hours.  I think it was one of the basic Ooni recipes, but I upped the hydration to 60% and fiddled with the proof temps a bit to get the yeast weight down

Here is my:  "I didn't plan to make pizza tonight and its 4pm recipe"

Its ready in about 2 hours, but an extra hour of rising helps. 

Makes two 14 inch pies or three 11 inch pies. 

1 Cup water warmed to 115F
    1 Tablespoon sugar dissolved into water
    1 package or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Dissolve sugar into water, stir in yeast. bloom for 5 minutes

Add flour and salt into a stand mixer with a dough hook if you have one.
    3C AP flour ( or 50/50 AP flour/Bread Flour )
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup olive oil

Pour water/sugar/yeast mixture in to the center of the dry.
    start mixer and let it run for a minute or so.
    slowly add 1/4 cup EVOO 

Machine knead for 5 mins.
    Pull out and hand fold it for a couple of mins.
    Cover, and proof at 80F to 100F. I use an oven that has a proof setting
    Punch down after 45 mins, return to warm spot

For this recipe, I don't take the time to weigh things. If it feels a little dry I'll add a teaspoon of water while hand kneading. Extra hydration will not hurt it.

I use this in an electric oven at 500F and have used it up to 650F on my BGE.

This dough has burned at 700F. I think the sugar and the AP flour contributes to it burning. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • danhoo
    Options
    @caliking Two more things:

I invested $11 to get a high precision, low weight scale so I could measure the small amount of yeast and salt needed for the cold proof recipe.  Everyone says weighing is the way to go, and I agree.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y61YW7S

And I  bought these rubbermaid take-along containers for the cold ferment. They take up a bit of space in the garage fridge but they are easy to use and easy to clean. A friend suggested these and they work great. I've had some 360g balls in them and they fit fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X2TD1SD

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited January 2023
    Options
    caliking said:

Semi ot but relevant.  My wife is gluten intolerant.   I found some Caputo gluten free flour that is really good and we were having good success in the oven with it for her.  So I got the green light for an ooni.  

Anyways I was struggling to make the dough work in the ooni without parchment.  On the ooni ap I found a gluten free recipe using that flour and it works very well.  

Some early ones using the recipe.  It doesn’t like the high heat and does char pretty easy.  

This might just give others hope for their pizza game like it did mine by pleasing my wife. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I found the fioreglut to be very difficult to work with. My wife is gluten intolerant as well, she's been all in on sourdough which seems to be fine for her. The longer the fermentation the better.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Looking for 16 inch oven.. Ooni Koda 16 or does anyone have any experience with this Halo?? https://www.amazon.com/Propane-Rotating-Portable-Appliance-Kitchens/dp/B0B433CV52/ref=psdc_13299141_t5_B0BJNQ28M3?th=1

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,041
    Options
    Legume said:
    I found the fioreglut to be very difficult to work with. My wife is gluten intolerant as well, she's been all in on sourdough which seems to be fine for her. The longer the fermentation the better.

It is interesting you say that.  If I eat fermented doughs, they don't bother me at all.  When I eat heavily processed bread or "new" doughs they make me feel bloated.  Same with cheeses.  Cheap grocery store cheese messes me up, but some nice aged cheeses, I can eat a pound without issue.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    Options
    Legume said:

It is interesting you say that.  If I eat fermented doughs, they don't bother me at all.  When I eat heavily processed bread or "new" doughs they make me feel bloated.  Same with cheeses.  Cheap grocery store cheese messes me up, but some nice aged cheeses, I can eat a pound without issue.
    How do you do with other dairy products? 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

Some milks I do okay with, others give me various problems.  Goat milk doesn't bother me at all.

Interestingly, if I have other allergy issues, I am more likely to have problems.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    Options
    @danhoo , @CTMike , @Plutonium, @JohnInCarolina , @Elijah , or anyone else with gas-fired pizza oven experience  - how does the King Arthur 00 flour do for Neapolitan- style pies? Its geared towards home ovens, so I'm wondering if any adjustments need to be made to dough recipes.

It seems the Caputo blue 00 is the fan favorite, which I'll probably try at some point. HEB stocks the  KA 00 flour, so I picked some up.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

Some milks I do okay with, others give me various problems.  Goat milk doesn't bother me at all.

Interestingly, if I have other allergy issues, I am more likely to have problems.
    My wife is the same with milk.  She only buys fairlife now and has no issues with it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    @danhoo , @CTMike , @Plutonium, @JohnInCarolina , @Elijah , or anyone else with gas-fired pizza oven experience  - how does the King Arthur 00 flour do for Neapolitan- style pies? Its geared towards home ovens, so I'm wondering if any adjustments need to be made to dough recipes.

It seems the Caputo blue 00 is the fan favorite, which I'll probably try at some point. HEB stocks the  KA 00 flour, so I picked some up.
    Never tried the KA 00, but my guess is it works just fine.  I’ve only used Caputo Blue or Dalla Giovanna.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Legume said:
    My sister in law does some long ferment sour dough she can eat too.  But we don’t do that often.  We will also make some loaves and rolls around the holidays for my wife as a special treat but I’m not a huge baker but the sour dough is amazing what it can do.  

For the fioreglut I do use a lot of cup for cup gf substitute (we like the King Arthur one) to work it because all the base recipes are sticky and really wet. 
  • danhoo
    edited January 2023
    Options
    caliking said:

I have not used King Arthur 00 flour. Never seen it on a shelf either. 

I have used caputo chef flour (red bag) and caputo pizzeria (blue bag). I've not compared these side by side yet my reading on the internet tells me blue is better suited for higher heat and can do well with a shorter fermentation time.  

My kids thought caputo blue on the ooni was the best I've ever made. 

The prior best (kids and my votes) was 100% caputo red, 2 day cold proof and very little yeast. Cooked at 750F on my weber summit kamado. 

I have made a 50-50 caputo red with king Arthur bread flour for lower temp cooks (650 to 700F) and it was excellent and better than 100% KA bread flour, or any combo with AP flour. 

I think each flour can make a winning pizza, and may need some experimenting on hydration amount and cook temp.

I'm still a novice and I've had some wins, and some fails. 

Here's the two I've had best results with, but I suggest trying some blue. 

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    caliking said:

I picked up a few bags of the KA 00 when we stopped at the flagship in Vermont a few months back. My results were very similar to Caputo Blue. 

@danhoo I have some Caputo Red left, will definitely try a 50/50 blend with the KA bread flour I have, sounds interesting.  
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • danhoo
    Options
    CTMike said:

@danhoo I have some Caputo Red left, will definitely try a 50/50 blend with the KA bread flour I have, sounds interesting.  

the 50/50 works well at lower temps ( under 650F ). Above that it might burn. YMMV
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Going to give pizza another shot this weekend. Last time I made 6 pizzas. The last one had burnt flour on the bottom. I believe it was just residual from the other 5. Any one have experience getting that cleaned out while hot?

I also saw a YouTube video where someone used the ooni to cook bacon on a sheet pan with a rack. Seems dangerous, but I'd like to try it. It was a produced video so I'm not sure how long it really took. What was shown was 30 seconds or less. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Going to give pizza another shot this weekend. Last time I made 6 pizzas. The last one had burnt flour on the bottom. I believe it was just residual from the other 5. Any one have experience getting that cleaned out while hot?

I also saw a YouTube video where someone used the ooni to cook bacon on a sheet pan with a rack. Seems dangerous, but I'd like to try it. It was a produced video so I'm not sure how long it really took. What was shown was 30 seconds or less. 
    In my WFO I use a brass bristle brush to clean the bricks between pies. You might be able to find a smaller version that would work for the Ooni:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Went with this https://a.co/d/0QUxYlQ

May be a little short, but for 15 dollars it's worth a try 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,514
    Options
    Elijah said:

After burning the spilled cheese/toppings (happened to me occasionally) to smithereens, you can use a small blower to blast off the ashes, or burnt flour from previous pies. I use a 1/2 inch copper pipe. Don't use steel bristle brush, soft brass bristles less abrasive on the stone.

Stole the pipe idea from here:
    https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/accessories/how-to-clean-wood-fired-oven.html
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Elijah said:

I use a brass bristle brush like @CTMike and then a wet/damp towel wrapped around a pizza turner and quick wipe.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Send Cali look my into the desert with a hammer, and he will come back with a freight train. This man always finds ways to turn out delicious whatever, cooked on whatever. I did not expect less. 

Smooth talking, for sure, gets results. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Did a Detroit style in the Ooni last night. 
    Let me say upfront that I don’t think the Ooni is the best tool for Detroit style due to heat regulation issues. 

It came out pretty good, but a bit scorched on top as you can see. Was better than this looks. 

Cranked it up full tilt boogie for 45 minutes then turned it down to the lowest setting. 

Kept the pan it the front right section then quickly realized the pan needed to be about 1/4 out the front. Rotated every 2 minutes. Total time about 12 minutes. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @dmchicago check out the recipe Gozney has for Detroit style pizza:

https://us.gozney.com/blogs/recipes/detroit-style-pizza-recipe

I’ve tried it before and it’s really pretty good.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    edited January 2023
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Let me say upfront that I don’t think the Ooni is the best tool for Detroit style due to heat regulation issues. 

They make this stuff called aluminum foil...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    dmchicago said:

Yes, I am familiar with that product. Primarily used in the cooking process. That’s why I was shocked to see you mention it. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • caliking
    Options
    @dmchicago the ooni does get HOT. Even at the lowest setting, it’ll get to 800F+.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    HeavyG said:
    dmchicago said:

Yes, I am familiar with that product. Primarily used in the cooking process. That’s why I was shocked to see you mention it. 

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.
    Simply meant to suggest that draping a sheet of foil over the top of the pizza pan during much (most?) of the cook time might help prevent so much charring of the top of the pizza - like a casserole in a kitchen oven just take the foil off for the last few minutes under the broiler kinda method.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk