Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I honestly don’t know where to post this.

1313233343537»

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,784
    paqman said:
    Legume said:
    I agree with the sentiment but call BS on starting teacher salary in Texas @$33k, it's mid $50's
    Also apples and oranges if not including insurance plans/retirement. I think teachers are generally underpaid, but benefits seem to be pretty good and cost of living in my state (mostly due to housing) can be twice as much in metro/suburban areas vs. more rural/outstate and the salaries tend to reflect that. Also should note that teachers in my district work fewer than 200 days a year. Lots of moving parts.
    paqman said:
    Elementary/high school teacher salaries around here are somewhat low but decent considering they get the whole summer OFF.  Most have the option to work during summer and significantly increase their yearly salary.  The base salary increases very fast with years of service.  It is a lifestyle choice.
    So I will push back on you both here regarding the “200 days a year” and “summer OFF” points.  In full disclosure, my mother was a middle-school reading teacher and my wife was a high school teacher for many years.

First of all, during the months they teach, their nights and weekends are often taken up with grading.  I can’t speak to all teachers and how they used their summer time, but the ones I know would also “work” on their teaching in the summer, either by developing lesson plans or by taking additional training.  

The ones I knew then and know now have not gone into teaching for the “lifestyle” because the lifestyle actually kind of sucks.
    I happen to have two very close family members that are high/elementary school teachers and I can guarantee you that they have very good working conditions.  They have aides to assist with grading and dedicated time off for developing lesson plans.  This may not be true everywhere but in our province it is.
    Have you asked them if they became teachers for the “lifestyle” ?
    One of the main reasons for both.  With our climate, having the summer OFF is a major incentive!

paqman said:
    paqman said:
    Legume said:
    I agree with the sentiment but call BS on starting teacher salary in Texas @$33k, it's mid $50's
    Also apples and oranges if not including insurance plans/retirement. I think teachers are generally underpaid, but benefits seem to be pretty good and cost of living in my state (mostly due to housing) can be twice as much in metro/suburban areas vs. more rural/outstate and the salaries tend to reflect that. Also should note that teachers in my district work fewer than 200 days a year. Lots of moving parts.
    paqman said:
    Elementary/high school teacher salaries around here are somewhat low but decent considering they get the whole summer OFF.  Most have the option to work during summer and significantly increase their yearly salary.  The base salary increases very fast with years of service.  It is a lifestyle choice.
    So I will push back on you both here regarding the “200 days a year” and “summer OFF” points.  In full disclosure, my mother was a middle-school reading teacher and my wife was a high school teacher for many years.

First of all, during the months they teach, their nights and weekends are often taken up with grading.  I can’t speak to all teachers and how they used their summer time, but the ones I know would also “work” on their teaching in the summer, either by developing lesson plans or by taking additional training.  

The ones I knew then and know now have not gone into teaching for the “lifestyle” because the lifestyle actually kind of sucks.
    I happen to have two very close family members that are high/elementary school teachers and I can guarantee you that they have very good working conditions.  They have aides to assist with grading and dedicated time off for developing lesson plans.  This may not be true everywhere but in our province it is.
    Have you asked them if they became teachers for the “lifestyle” ?
    One of the main reasons for both.  With our climate, having the summer OFF is a major incentive!
    So in the US, the typical new teacher only makes it about five years.  I wonder what that stat looks like for Canada.

But obviously, with the burnout rate as high as it is, the lifestyle isn’t all that great.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,710
    I submit that the lifestyle has changed in major negative ways in the past few decades as teachers have been expected to take on a whole lot more parenting since many "parents" know they can ignore basic family lifestyle responsibilities.  But just an opinion based on limited observations...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,100
    He must've hired Raichlen's social media team.
    Not a felon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279