Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Global Warming - Right & Wrong

Options

Comments

• WildmanWilson
    WildmanWilson Posts: 482
    Options
    I think the assertion that makes me laugh the most is this idea that thousands of top scientists from around the world are in cahoots with each other on this big conspiracy to fool the public over the reality of global warming.  Why?  Because they all want governments to control people’s lives, apparently.

There are just so many aspects to this idea that are ridiculous, it’s hard to know where to start.  
    You may not know this but money and power and a radical ideology goes a long way towards changing humanity. These "scientist" are keeping the grant money rolling in to keep the narrative alive. While many may actually believe man made global warming is real, there is a lot of debate what the effects will be. Many don't see it having much if any negative affect.

How many of you use plastic or drive a big gas hog? What about eating red meat? Air conditioning ? Gas stoves? Gas water heaters? Are you buying your carbon credits? Planting trees? I see the talk but never the action from any of you alarmist. I could at least respect anyone that walks the walk even if I didn't agree. 

The latest thing they are going after on their conveyer belt of blame is farming. Some of you may live in cities and don't know farming is how we feed everyone. Now, maybe we can grow enough bugs and lab grown meat to make up the difference but I'm thinking it doesn't end well.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I think the assertion that makes me laugh the most is this idea that thousands of top scientists from around the world are in cahoots with each other on this big conspiracy to fool the public over the reality of global warming.  Why?  Because they all want governments to control people’s lives, apparently.

There are just so many aspects to this idea that are ridiculous, it’s hard to know where to start.  
    You may not know this but money and power and a radical ideology goes a long way towards changing humanity. These "scientist" are keeping the grant money rolling in to keep the narrative alive.
    Dude, you are truly clueless.  There is only one person in this entire thread who has received an NSF research grant, and it ain’t you.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Wading into this thread at this point is fraught with danger but...
    Here are a few paragraphs that explain the Dunning-Kruger Effect:

"As a society, we therefore miss learning from the best of the best, because their confidence keeps them behind closed doors. At centre stage, all too often, can be people of below-average capabilities.

Unfortunately, those who are the most ignorant—in the bottom 25% of any skill—also overestimate themselves the most. In the context of our democracy, this means our most uninformed citizens are also our most confident ones. Not only are these ignorant people extremely resistant to being taught—since they believe they know the most—they are also guilty of sharing the most information (read: misinformation).

At its core, the Dunning-Kruger effect preys on just that: not a lack of information, but rather an abundance of misinformation. We know when we know nothing, but it is information that is wrong that causes us to think we know everything, and absentmindedly press “share.”"

The complete article linked here:

https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/dunning-kruger-effect

Worth a read. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ThermanMurch
    Options
    I'm a repeat WEF research grant winner.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Who is being manipulated?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is a joint report from our own National Academy of Sciences and the Royal Society:

https://nap.nationalacademies.org/catalog/25733/climate-change-evidence-and-causes-update-2020

These are the elite of the elite in the scientific world.  The members of the national academy of science and engineering are the very best that can be found, on a whole range of issues.  Here is the summary of the report:

Sounds quite dispositive, doesn’t it?
  • WildmanWilson
    WildmanWilson Posts: 482
    Options

So, what do we know for sure? We know other major countries are not doing what we are to reduce their carbon footprint. We know we will be at a much greater economic disadvantage over them because they can still manufacture cheaper and produce very cheap energy.

We know the net zero is a pipe dream but the harder they push towards it the more drastic the changes must be.

We know we will be largely dependent on other countries to supply us the components and minerals.

We know it will be expensive. (I just saw a battery powered zero turn mower priced at 50K.... )

We know slave labor is used to mine the cobalt and horrible environmental issues that's not talked about. Also other things like copper will be in short supply.

We know many will not have access to EV charging because of where they live.

We know poor folks will take a hard hit because they can not afford an EV or used one that has a 20K battery that must be replaced.

We know if they continue to go after farmers it will end in food shortages.

We know there will be greater restrictions and blackouts on our electricity.

We know the standard of living will go down. We also know this is a stupid idea to believe we can replace all fossil fuels, The only way is to become Amish and never leave your home. We will be pushed more to live in big cities and public transpiration will be about the only options. 

Its actually hard to believe some think they can create the utopia they promise. They somehow think energy can just pop up in a battery and the world is saved. That energy comes from somewhere. You do not create energy. You can only transfer it. Solar and wind can never supply it all at the rate we need. Building wind mills and solar is not a green process. 

They sell you the idea to not farm but instead we eat bugs and meat made in a lab. Yum ! Lets fire up the Egg !!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

So, what do we know for sure? We know other major countries are not doing what we are to reduce their carbon footprint. We know we will be at a much greater economic disadvantage over them because they can still manufacture cheaper and produce very cheap energy.

We know the net zero is a pipe dream but the harder they push towards it the more drastic the changes must be.

We know we will be largely dependent on other countries to supply us the components and minerals.

We know it will be expensive. (I just saw a battery powered zero turn mower priced at 50K.... )

We know slave labor is used to mine the cobalt and horrible environmental issues that's not talked about. Also other things like copper will be in short supply.

We know many will not have access to EV charging because of where they live.

We know poor folks will take a hard hit because they can not afford an EV or used one that has a 20K battery that must be replaced.

We know if they continue to go after farmers it will end in food shortages.

We know there will be greater restrictions and blackouts on our electricity.

We know the standard of living will go down. We also know this is a stupid idea to believe we can replace all fossil fuels, The only way is to become Amish and never leave your home. We will be pushed more to live in big cities and public transpiration will be about the only options. 

Its actually hard to believe some think they can create the utopia they promise. They somehow think energy can just pop up in a battery and the world is saved. That energy comes from somewhere. You do not create energy. You can only transfer it. Solar and wind can never supply it all at the rate we need. Building wind mills and solar is not a green process. 

They sell you the idea to not farm but instead we eat bugs and meat made in a lab. Yum ! Lets fire up the Egg !!

Yes, you are right.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Likes to be statically prepared for things that can't be prevented, like earthquakes but isn't willing to lift a finger to prevent anything.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Options
    Here is an interesting product made by an Alabama company named CarbonBuilt. It both reduces the CO2 required for the cement binder in concrete building blocks by using waste materials(proprietary blend so I don't know exactly what waste materials) and curing the blocks using carbon dioxide gas instead of steam and heat. I picked a short video of 4 minutes but there are ones twice as long on ewe tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7BLP2-yEOY
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    An example of direct, financial impact; State Farm will no longer provide insurance policies for new construction in California:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/insurance-state-farm-18125433.php

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Sorry @JohnInCarolina but as soon as I saw the Fox News feed I bailed.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited June 2023
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Sorry @JohnInCarolina but as soon as I saw the Fox News feed I bailed.

An appropriate response there, Frank.
  • Botch
    Options
    Botch said:
    An example of direct, financial impact; State Farm will no longer provide insurance policies for new construction in California:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/insurance-state-farm-18125433.php
    And a new development just today:
    Phoenix just announced there will be NO more new subdivisions around it, unless the developer(s) can prove they have a water source.  
    Sh*ts getting real, folks.  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Idiotic behavior! It just means that electric vehicle drivers will detour around Wyoming in the future. https://www.yahoo.com/autos/wyoming-pulling-plug-taxpayer-funded-150000678.html
  • Legume
    Options
    Did you read the whole article?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    The 70*F year long road trip:
    The US route starts in Texas, loops up and over the East Coast, into Oregon, and ends in California." An Alaskan climate scientist has created the perfect weather road trip.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Legume said:
    Did you read the whole article?
    Yes I did. I disagree with Wyomings conclusions.
  • Legume
    Options
    They're an oil/coal state, they're "owning the libs" without saying it. When electric semis get a foothold, there will have to be ev infrastructure on I-80, at least for trucks.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    For me it comes down to the following:  the oil companies built the gas stations to enable the nascent internal combustion cars to get fuel. Seems like the electric power generating companies should like-wise build the charging infrastructure.  Somebody is gonna have to produce the power to charge the cars.  But I'm old and just looking at a model from well over a century ago. I'm sure there were deals struck back then but w/o the internet and 24/7 news cycle only the power brokers knew about it. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For me it comes down to the following:  the oil companies built the gas stations to enable the nascent internal combustion cars to get fuel. Seems like the electric power generating companies should like-wise build the charging infrastructure.  Somebody is gonna have to produce the power to charge the cars.  But I'm old and just looking at a model from well over a century ago. I'm sure there were deals struck back then but w/o the internet and 24/7 news cycle only the power brokers knew about it. 
    In the federal NEVI program private companies are required to put up 20% of the money . The feds will help with maintenance for the first 5 years. In Florida a private power company is already putting in chargers before there was federal funding. The Tennessee Valley Authority is already doing the same in Tennessee, North Mississippi, North Alabama, and North Georgia basically anywhere that they provide power. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• Botch
    Options