Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jan 6 Hearings

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,568
    Options
    Latest on Jan 6 hearings-
    "Pat A. Cipollone, the White House counsel to then-President Trump who repeatedly fought Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election, has reached a deal to be interviewed by Friday before the Jan. 6 committee. The agreement was a breakthrough for the panel, which has pressed for weeks for Cipollone to cooperate — and issued a subpoena to him last week — believing he could provide crucial testimony. Cipollone was a witness to pivotal moments in Trump’s push to invalidate the election results, including discussions about seizing voting machines and sending false letters to state officials about election fraud. However, those close to Cipollone have repeatedly cautioned that concerns about executive privilege and attorney-client privilege could limit his cooperation. Maggie Haberman and Luke Broadwater report for the New York Times. "
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options
    water beads up and just rolls off a duck. what happens when the donald duck show wins in 2024........ :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Didn’t they used to call Reagan the Teflon President?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options

some call trump that as well, from all the insane tweets, sex scandals, money scandals, two impeachments etc.....he seems to survive. now our countries getting invaded, inflation, recession, skyrocketing gas prices, no baby formula, 1 ounce bags of chips.....joes got it good but not surviving :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 949
    Options
    Mmmmfishlessman said:

some call trump that as well, from all the insane tweets, sex scandals, money scandals, two impeachments etc.....he seems to survive. now our countries getting invaded, inflation, recession, skyrocketing gas prices, no baby formula, 1 ounce bags of chips.....joes got it good but not surviving :D

You forgot to mention the cheap toilet paper tubes. The world is going to hell and they're giving us thin toilet paper tubes too, now? Right into the sh!tter they went. What's next?

Yesterday morning, I pee'd on my belt. I was standing there in front of my pressure toilet, I undid my heavy belt and pants, and I started to pee. Right when I started to go, out of the corner of my eye, I see the flat end of the belt coming back around from the right side, and right into the stream.  That's how my day started yesterday, then later my nurse came over to give me an infusion, and it took her three tries to get the IV into a vein. One of the attempts bled on her and I.

My day ended just as badly, when I spit on my wenus, and not in a good way. I was back in the bathroom, this time I'm sitting down on the pressure toilet, and I have stomach aches, and as I'm going to work .. my mouth starts filling up with a lot of saliva, and I couldn't stand up for obvious reasons, So I slowly lean forward and try to spit straight down into the very front of the toilet water, instead I spat right on my wenus. Who does that?

Peed on my belt in the morning
    Bled on my nurse at noon
    Spit on my wenus at night.

It was a very gender fluid kind of day, for sure. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Mmmmfishlessman said:

You forgot to mention the cheap toilet paper tubes. The world is going to hell and they're giving us thin toilet paper tubes too, now? Right into the sh!tter they went. What's next?

Yesterday morning, I pee'd on my belt. I was standing there in front of my pressure toilet, I undid my heavy belt and pants, and I started to pee. Right when I started to go, out of the corner of my eye, I see the flat end of the belt coming back around from the right side, and right into the stream.  That's how my day started yesterday, then later my nurse came over to give me an infusion, and it took her three tries to get the IV into a vein. One of the attempts bled on her and I.

My day ended just as badly, when I spit on my wenus, and not in a good way. I was back in the bathroom, this time I'm sitting down on the pressure toilet, and I have stomach aches, and as I'm going to work .. my mouth starts filling up with a lot of saliva, and I couldn't stand up for obvious reasons, So I slowly lean forward and try to spit straight down into the very front of the toilet water, instead I spat right on my wenus. Who does that?

Bled on my nurse at noon

I can’t say like for this and there’s no choice for “better luck tomorrow “.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,371
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Mmmmfishlessman said:

Bled on my nurse at noon

I can’t say like for this and there’s no choice for “better luck tomorrow “.

I'm thinking clicking "Dislike" ≈ "TMI" in this case.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 678
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Now this is funny….  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,086
    Options
    Now this is funny….  

Saw that earlier today.  You’ve got to be pretty clueless to describe either Rapinoe or Biles as losers.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    It’s the name calling stuff that drives me nuts. Elected people need to get work done not take take every issue to an extreme and run away to a safe place to lob insults around. Anybody can do that. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks for posting that @Buckwoody Egger .  
    The article is behind a paywall but you can create a free account to read it-well worth your time.  The more perspectives you can get the better you can make your own assessment of all the events from Nov 3, 2020 thru January 20, 2021.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Since I'm here-time to set your alarm watch/clock/phone and most importantly your DVR or other MSM recording device if you can't catch it live for the next Han 6th hearing scheduled here:
    "The House committee investigating the Capitol insurrection will hold a public hearing next Tuesday to present evidence related to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack.

The hearing is scheduled for July 12 at 10 a.m. ET, according to an advisory the committee sent out Tuesday."

Best to get this material unfiltered and arrive at your own conclusions. I will stop here.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Bannon agrees to testify on the eve of his federal contempt of congress trial but is trying to set the rules of engagement lol. Good luck Liver Spots!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Very interested to hear from Cippolone. I expect honest, tempered, testimony from him. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I am wondering if Steve Bannon is the latest sacrificial anode in this investigation.  Given history and the timing, I suspect he may be willing to take a bullet to obfuscate the committee hearings/outcome. Last man standing so to speak. He definitely is familiar with that playbook.  Watch your back to the committee.  There is a reason he requested to go public with his testimony.  Just an opinion but...
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Agreeing to testify is not agreeing to cooperate. 

No way the committee lets him spew live. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,371
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I am wondering if Steve Bannon is the latest sacrificial anode in this investigation.  Given history and the timing, I suspect he may be willing to take a bullet to obfuscate the committee hearings/outcome. Last man standing so to speak. He definitely is familiar with that playbook.  Watch your back to the committee.  There is a reason he requested to go public with his testimony.  Just an opinion but...

Bannon is going to be Bannon and will be of no use to the committees efforts. My guess is that he'll be showboating and lambasting the committees mere existence all in an effort to build traffic to his website and pump up donations to his bank accounts.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For sure. He’s looking for a platform but also, he’s in a very tough spot and there is no pardon coming. For his sake, I hope he is as smart as he thinks he is. For the sake of my personal entertainment, I hope he is not.  
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 678
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Article (it was free through Twitter link for me so felt ok to paste)

I Was Betrayed by President Trump

July 10, 2022, 5:00 a.m. ET
    The author Aquilino Gonell a member of the Capitol Police was injured during the Jan 6 riot
    The author, Aquilino Gonell, a member of the Capitol Police, was injured during the Jan. 6 riot.Andrew Mangum for The New York Times

By Aquilino Gonell

Mr. Gonell is a sergeant in the Capitol Police.

As one of the Capitol Police officers who defended the United States against the mob on Jan. 6, 2021, I felt it was important for me to be in the committee room on June 28 to hear the former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson’s testimony. Along with three colleagues, I went, even though I knew it would be difficult to relive the horrors I witnessed. Although I experienced firsthand the brutal onslaught of the insurrectionists, I was shocked to hear Ms. Hutchinson explain the extent to which former President Donald Trump incited the people who almost killed me.

I am an immigrant from the Dominican Republic, a U.S. Army veteran and a sergeant who has worked on the force for 16 years, but I’ve never witnessed anything like the Jan. 6 attack — even in combat in Iraq. I was sure I was going to die that day, trampled by the hordes of President Trump’s supporters trying to stop the official transfer of power on his behalf.

Ms. Hutchinson, the former aide to Mr. Trump’s chief of staff Mark Meadows, testified that her boss said that things could get “real bad” on Jan. 6 and that Mr. Trump was warned that members of the crowd that had amassed were armed. Of course, I never would have imagined that an American president would not only not come to the aid of law enforcement officers defending the Capitol but encourage that crowd to march on it. Instead of being notified about the danger, my colleagues and I were kept in the dark, and thus walked into an ambush unprepared.

I don’t know what part of Ms. Hutchinson’s testimony enraged me most: that Mr. Trump wanted to be driven to the Capitol to lead the vicious riot, that he’d spurred his supporters on knowing they were armed, or that he ignored some of his advisers and even his daughter who told him to call it off, allegedly fighting with his own Secret Service agent after he refused to let the president be driven there.

Or maybe it was the fact that Mr. Trump eventually told the rioters who’d criminally assaulted my colleagues and me while trying to bring down the U.S. government: “Go home. We love you. You are very special.”

Other disturbing details I heard at the hearing had to do with Mr. Trump’s apparent disregard for everyone but himself. Before Mr. Trump addressed his supporters on the Ellipse, ahead of the insurrection, he was told that those who were armed weren’t being let through security checkpoints and, according to Ms. Hutchinson’s testimony, he said, “I don’t effing care that they have weapons. They’re not here to hurt me.”

Later, when rioters breached the Capitol, according to Ms. Hutchinson’s testimony, the former White House counsel Pat Cipollone told Mr. Meadows that they had to go see the president about what was happening. Mr. Meadows’s response was that Mr. Trump “doesn’t want to do anything,” Ms. Hutchinson recalled. Mr. Cipollone replied, according to Ms. Hutchinson: “Something needs to be done or people are going to die and the blood’s going to be on your effing hands.”

The nine people who died as a result of that horrific day — including the four officers who died by suicide after the attack — weren’t so lucky. Neither was I. At the West Front of the Capitol, I was attempting to hold a tactical police line along with about 60 members of my team, as we were taught at the academy, to keep the invaders at bay. We were savagely beaten and easily overpowered. I would later learn that the mob was estimated to be 10,000 strong.

It was like a medieval battleground. With our lives in peril, I would have been justified in using lethal force. But I didn’t want to spark a massacre. Over the course of the five-hour struggle, my hands were bloodied from being smashed by a stolen police baton. My right foot and left shoulder were so damaged that I needed multiple surgeries to repair them. My head was hit with such force with a pipe that I no doubt would have sustained brain damage if not for my helmet.

I have spent a year and a half in physical therapy for chronic pain that I have been told will never go away. My young son almost lost his father and my wife had to quit medical school, owing to the stress and demands of my ongoing recovery.

Sergeant Gonell being sworn in before testifying at a Jan 6 committee hearing
    Sergeant Gonell being sworn in before testifying at a Jan. 6 committee hearing.Pool photo by Oliver Contreras

After the riot, I received a Congressional Gold Medal and was recently named a Great Immigrant by the Carnegie Corporation. After recently passing the lieutenant’s test, I hoped to be promoted. Instead, on the day of Ms. Hutchinson’s testimony, I was heartbroken to hear my doctors tell me that at 43, I should no longer work with the police force.

The physical and emotional damage I sustained on Jan. 6 not only cut short my career, it has upended my life. Five of my colleagues in law enforcement died and more than 850 rioters were arrested. So many families have been ruined because of one man’s lust for power.

Even more galling are the Republicans who still refuse to provide testimony under oath and instead dangerously downplay how close we came to losing our democracy. I applaud the courage of the witnesses who’ve come forward to tell the truth. I know from personal experience — I have given testimony several times about that day to Congress, to the F.B.I. and in court — how distressing it can be. I just wish we all had been able to testify sooner, right after Jan. 6, when we might have had more impact.

The enabling of Mr. Trump needs to stop now. He should not only be banned from running for any other government office, he should never be allowed near the White House again. I believe he betrayed his oath to defend the Constitution, and it was to the detriment of me, my colleagues and all Americans, whom he was supposed to protect.

• Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Glad to see the comments on Bannon.  Agreed.  The “blessing” letter from Trump really looks like a red carpet for the plausible deniability joy ride to roll into town and try to vandalize the progress to date.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Article (it was free through Twitter link for me so felt ok to paste)

I Was Betrayed by President Trump

July 10, 2022, 5:00 a.m. ET
    The author Aquilino Gonell a member of the Capitol Police was injured during the Jan 6 riot
    The author, Aquilino Gonell, a member of the Capitol Police, was injured during the Jan. 6 riot.Andrew Mangum for The New York Times

By Aquilino Gonell

Mr. Gonell is a sergeant in the Capitol Police.

As one of the Capitol Police officers who defended the United States against the mob on Jan. 6, 2021, I felt it was important for me to be in the committee room on June 28 to hear the former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson’s testimony. Along with three colleagues, I went, even though I knew it would be difficult to relive the horrors I witnessed. Although I experienced firsthand the brutal onslaught of the insurrectionists, I was shocked to hear Ms. Hutchinson explain the extent to which former President Donald Trump incited the people who almost killed me.

I am an immigrant from the Dominican Republic, a U.S. Army veteran and a sergeant who has worked on the force for 16 years, but I’ve never witnessed anything like the Jan. 6 attack — even in combat in Iraq. I was sure I was going to die that day, trampled by the hordes of President Trump’s supporters trying to stop the official transfer of power on his behalf.

Ms. Hutchinson, the former aide to Mr. Trump’s chief of staff Mark Meadows, testified that her boss said that things could get “real bad” on Jan. 6 and that Mr. Trump was warned that members of the crowd that had amassed were armed. Of course, I never would have imagined that an American president would not only not come to the aid of law enforcement officers defending the Capitol but encourage that crowd to march on it. Instead of being notified about the danger, my colleagues and I were kept in the dark, and thus walked into an ambush unprepared.

I don’t know what part of Ms. Hutchinson’s testimony enraged me most: that Mr. Trump wanted to be driven to the Capitol to lead the vicious riot, that he’d spurred his supporters on knowing they were armed, or that he ignored some of his advisers and even his daughter who told him to call it off, allegedly fighting with his own Secret Service agent after he refused to let the president be driven there.

Or maybe it was the fact that Mr. Trump eventually told the rioters who’d criminally assaulted my colleagues and me while trying to bring down the U.S. government: “Go home. We love you. You are very special.”

Other disturbing details I heard at the hearing had to do with Mr. Trump’s apparent disregard for everyone but himself. Before Mr. Trump addressed his supporters on the Ellipse, ahead of the insurrection, he was told that those who were armed weren’t being let through security checkpoints and, according to Ms. Hutchinson’s testimony, he said, “I don’t effing care that they have weapons. They’re not here to hurt me.”

Later, when rioters breached the Capitol, according to Ms. Hutchinson’s testimony, the former White House counsel Pat Cipollone told Mr. Meadows that they had to go see the president about what was happening. Mr. Meadows’s response was that Mr. Trump “doesn’t want to do anything,” Ms. Hutchinson recalled. Mr. Cipollone replied, according to Ms. Hutchinson: “Something needs to be done or people are going to die and the blood’s going to be on your effing hands.”

The nine people who died as a result of that horrific day — including the four officers who died by suicide after the attack — weren’t so lucky. Neither was I. At the West Front of the Capitol, I was attempting to hold a tactical police line along with about 60 members of my team, as we were taught at the academy, to keep the invaders at bay. We were savagely beaten and easily overpowered. I would later learn that the mob was estimated to be 10,000 strong.

It was like a medieval battleground. With our lives in peril, I would have been justified in using lethal force. But I didn’t want to spark a massacre. Over the course of the five-hour struggle, my hands were bloodied from being smashed by a stolen police baton. My right foot and left shoulder were so damaged that I needed multiple surgeries to repair them. My head was hit with such force with a pipe that I no doubt would have sustained brain damage if not for my helmet.

I have spent a year and a half in physical therapy for chronic pain that I have been told will never go away. My young son almost lost his father and my wife had to quit medical school, owing to the stress and demands of my ongoing recovery.

Sergeant Gonell being sworn in before testifying at a Jan 6 committee hearing
    Sergeant Gonell being sworn in before testifying at a Jan. 6 committee hearing.Pool photo by Oliver Contreras

After the riot, I received a Congressional Gold Medal and was recently named a Great Immigrant by the Carnegie Corporation. After recently passing the lieutenant’s test, I hoped to be promoted. Instead, on the day of Ms. Hutchinson’s testimony, I was heartbroken to hear my doctors tell me that at 43, I should no longer work with the police force.

The physical and emotional damage I sustained on Jan. 6 not only cut short my career, it has upended my life. Five of my colleagues in law enforcement died and more than 850 rioters were arrested. So many families have been ruined because of one man’s lust for power.

Even more galling are the Republicans who still refuse to provide testimony under oath and instead dangerously downplay how close we came to losing our democracy. I applaud the courage of the witnesses who’ve come forward to tell the truth. I know from personal experience — I have given testimony several times about that day to Congress, to the F.B.I. and in court — how distressing it can be. I just wish we all had been able to testify sooner, right after Jan. 6, when we might have had more impact.

The enabling of Mr. Trump needs to stop now. He should not only be banned from running for any other government office, he should never be allowed near the White House again. I believe he betrayed his oath to defend the Constitution, and it was to the detriment of me, my colleagues and all Americans, whom he was supposed to protect.

Wow. Very moving.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,552
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Since I'm here-time to set your alarm watch/clock/phone and most importantly your DVR or other MSM recording device if you can't catch it live for the next Han 6th hearing scheduled here:
    "The House committee investigating the Capitol insurrection will hold a public hearing next Tuesday to present evidence related to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack.

The hearing is scheduled for July 12 at 10 a.m. ET, according to an advisory the committee sent out Tuesday."

A big day Tuesday.  Also the publishing of the first photos from the James Webb telescope, and NASA seems unusually excited; they're usually more laid-back about things.

Also, its the first day of Amazoid Prime's two-day/one-day event, for anyone who needs more thingies.  

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• WildmanWilson
    Options
    You people really get worked up over a one side circus. After all the Russia stuff you would think you would learn a lesson rather than let yourself be fooled. You know, and I know, this along with the impeachments were to keep him from running again. From day one they started on removing him. He was an outsider and a threat to their corrupt way of life. Its really that simple. 

Did any of you happen to see the police that let the protesters in the Capital? I'm guessing you only see and hear the parts you want.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    You people really get worked up over a one side circus. After all the Russia stuff you would think you would learn a lesson rather than let yourself be fooled. You know, and I know, this along with the impeachments were to keep him from running again. From day one they started on removing him. He was an outsider and a threat to their corrupt way of life. Its really that simple. 

Did any of you happen to see the police that let the protesters in the Capital? I'm guessing you only see and hear the parts you want.
    I’m not the guy trying to ruin the forum or nothing but, yes, you are right. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,617
    edited July 2022
    Options

Ask Donald
    https://globalnews.ca/news/6157812/don-cherry-you-people-rant-impact/
    canuckland
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Who is trying to ruin it? If you mean I've interrupted the one side circle jerk then I'm guilty. Its like I walked onto the View and said I love Ted Nugent and Trump. I haven't seen the libs so upset since the Republicans stopped slavery and passed civil rights legislation. HAHA 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,086
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Who is trying to ruin it? If you mean I've interrupted the one side circle jerk then I'm guilty. Its like I walked onto the View and said I love Ted Nugent and Trump. I haven't seen the libs so upset since the Republicans stopped slavery and passed civil rights legislation. HAHA 
    Yes, you are right.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike