Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'No Way To Prevent This,' says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Legume said:
    Sigh.

So Wilson, where are you on mandatory background checks, mandatory education, training, testing/qualification?  Who can’t own a gun?  Is there an evil in their heart test?  Would you be ok with federal mandatory waiting periods, federal magazine capacity limits?  Would you be ok with designating some guns for hunting and others for sport shooting and self defense and having different rules?
    We used to not have a background check and you could even order a gun to your door from Sears. Where were all the mass shootings? I'd love to see NRA classes taught in school to educate kids about guns. A waiting period would do nothing.

I hunt with ARs so what's your point? I also never saw a person under attack that wished they had a 5 round mag over a 30. I saw a story not long ago where 5 armed men broke into a mans house and he was able to defend himself with his AR and high capacity mag. Also did you look up the VT shooting and the weapons used? Its not hard to walk into a school room and shoot 30 setting ducks with a couple of handguns. You can drop a mag and be ready to shoot in a matter of seconds. Plus, just because you take my 30 round mag doesn't mean the criminals will all run to turn theirs in. Somehow you guys must trust criminals to do the right thing every time.
    Always with the insults.  Thanks guy.  Don’t know if you’ve noticed, but times have changed since you could mail order a gun.  Primarily, there are a lot more angry people in the world now, like, well, you.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "lib"

Great way to show you have your hands over your ears, buddy. 
    It’s definitely the video games.  And instagram.

Most other countries have those things and don’t have a fraction of our gun deaths, but young Americans are just particularly disrespectful I guess.   Or they’re bullied more.  It must be one of those…
    Most of the "gun deaths" are drug and gang related. How about take care of that issue. Some 330 million people here and schools shootings are still rare by statistical standards. Still horrific. But why are they worse now? We could all get guns in the past as well. The largest school massacre was by a bomb many years ago. There were even killings in school as far back as the 1700s and 1800s. Is it because the population is higher now or did the guns cause more people to go nuts? Hmmm
  • Legume
    Options
    Would you be ok with bump stocks or full auto then? Is there a line, any line to be drawn?

Harden schools, grocery stores, concerts, hotels, malls, theaters, etc.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It’s definitely the video games.  And instagram.

Most other countries have those things and don’t have a fraction of our gun deaths, but young Americans are just particularly disrespectful I guess.   Or they’re bullied more.  It must be one of those…
    Most of the "gun deaths" are drug and gang related. How about take care of that issue. Some 330 million people here and schools shootings are still rare by statistical standards. Still horrific. But why are they worse now? We could all get guns in the past as well. The largest school massacre was by a bomb many years ago. There were even killings in school as far back as the 1700s and 1800s. Is it because the population is higher now or did the guns cause more people to go nuts? Hmmm
    Why don't you just compare countries based on their gun ownership and mortality data?  Do that and come back and let's talk.

This one time, a guy poisoned some kool aid and killed a bunch of people.  Didn’t stop people from drinking kool aid and we didn’t have to outlaw kool aid.  See?  I got fax.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    “the guns are pretty much the same as now”

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Options
    2007, 2008, isn’t that when GOP/NRA started selling ‘they’re gonna come for your guns” nonsense?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    2007, 2008, isn’t that when GOP/NRA started selling ‘they’re gonna come for your guns” nonsense?
    There does appear to be something of an inflection point around 2008.   I wonder what might have caused that...
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    “the guns are pretty much the same as now”

Nice graphics. What’s it prove? When you realize the majority of homicides are in a few cities that should tell you something. I happen to own a few guns myself. None have killed anyone. Most of those 393 million guns haven’t either. I have several fire extinguishers as well. I’ve never had to use one. It’s good to have in case I do though. Out of the yearly deaths roughly half are suicide. So 16,000 or so are a homicide. Some of this are justified from police and gun owners protesting themselves. The largest majority I’ve already stated comes from drug and gang activity. So out of all those scary guns you posted, maybe .00004% are used to kill someone. Seems to me that shows pretty good restraint on gun ownership. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Lol
    Options
    WildmanWilson said:

I happen to own a few guns myself. 
    You don’t say.  Never would’ve guessed.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    When you've run out of people to prove to that you can't make any sense... sign up on a bbq forum. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Options
    caliking said:
    When you've run out of people to prove to that you can't make any sense... sign up on a bbq forum. 
    It’s like you know me.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    Legume said:
    Sigh.

So Wilson, where are you on mandatory background checks, mandatory education, training, testing/qualification?  Who can’t own a gun?  Is there an evil in their heart test?  Would you be ok with federal mandatory waiting periods, federal magazine capacity limits?  Would you be ok with designating some guns for hunting and others for sport shooting and self defense and having different rules?
    We used to not have a background check and you could even order a gun to your door from Sears. Where were all the mass shootings? I'd love to see NRA classes taught in school to educate kids about guns. A waiting period would do nothing.

I hunt with ARs so what's your point? I also never saw a person under attack that wished they had a 5 round mag over a 30. I saw a story not long ago where 5 armed men broke into a mans house and he was able to defend himself with his AR and high capacity mag. Also did you look up the VT shooting and the weapons used? Its not hard to walk into a school room and shoot 30 setting ducks with a couple of handguns. You can drop a mag and be ready to shoot in a matter of seconds. Plus, just because you take my 30 round mag doesn't mean the criminals will all run to turn theirs in. Somehow you guys must trust criminals to do the right thing every time.
    You could order a house from Sears at one time too. I'm not sure what your point is regarding that, but it's worth noting that it's hard to bring a whole house to a school and shoot anybody with it, because they could see you coming from blocks away. Also, schools made their doors smaller than houses years ago, for this very reason.

What kind of school has thirty setting ducks. I've seen ducks in all sorts of settings but I didn't realize they had to go to school for it, or that ducks in their schools are segregated into how many settings they can learn. I guess it makes some sense to have all the ducks that are capable of learning so many settings all together like that. I'm wondering though, since you seem to be a hunter, are thirty setting ducks harder to hunt because they've learned all those settings, and therefore have more places to hide? It's true isn't it and that's why you hunt with an assault rifle? 

Lastly, you've been watching too many old gangster films. Nobody wraps their guns in magazines anymore, so they can just "drop the magazine and start shooting". At some point the magazines got too small or the guns too big and wouldn't completely hide the guns anymore, so the magazines stopped being used in this way. Since you seem to cling to this outdated idea, and you have that assault rifle you use for "hunting" I suggest you use butcher paper, that's seems appropriate.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    @WildmanWilson

"have several fire extinguishers as well. I’ve never had to use one. It’s good to have in case I do though"

Which would you use, the gun or the fire extinguisher, If some random liar with pants on fire approached you with the intent to do harm? 

I'm just curious it seems like quite a dilemma there. The extinguisher will put his pants out but won't stop him, so you'll still get hurt. The gun will stop him but won't put his pants out, so you'll still get hurt.

This is the problem with gun people, they think that guns will protect them from physical harm caused by others, when I just proved in no uncertain terms, that all the bad person has to do, is set their pants on fire right before going after you, and you're still gonna get hurt.

The difference between a fire extinguisher and a gun is huge.

Guns you point and fire at the kill
    Extinguishers you point and kill at the fire.

Also, extinguishers are so safe that they literally hang them inside schools, they're hard to conceal too. Trust me, if you walked anywhere near a school with a fire extinguisher in your pants, someones gonna stop you and at least ask you where the fire is. Not so with guns.

I'll see you in a little while with my flammable pants.

SB

• nolaegghead
    Options

Options
    No doubt the shooter probably considered themself to be one of the "good guys with a gun".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited July 2022
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Terrible.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    We have truly lost our way.  
    So much for the well regulated militia part of the 2nd Amendment.  And today!! F' me.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jsphipps
    Jsphipps Posts: 7
    Options
    All the libs make it all so simple. Blame the NRA. Blame the Second Amendment. Blame ARs. Very rarely do you see them blame the people doing it. They just want common sense gun laws after all. Even though 99.999% of the legal gun owners will never carry out a mass shooting, they must still give up something even though they did nothing wrong. No law ever has stopped someone set on breaking it. A law just states what the punishment is if you do break it. Look at the VT shooting and what weapon was used. It doesn't matter if its a black rifle or a handgun. Its the evil in the person that's the true weapon.

History proves that when the government disarms its citizens they are at their mercy. Governments have killed more of its citizens than wars have. Do you really trust your government that much that you never seeing them turn on us?

I see some on here are even against making schools more secure as something bad. Well, there's a reason you see these cowards shooting setting ducks in these gun free zones. We can point blame all day long but the truth is you can never legislate evil out of of a persons heart and mind. Anyone can find a way to harm others so being proactive and at least give these schools a way to keep them out and protect these children. Our politicians have all these protocols why not our kids? 

When I was in school many of us took knives and guns to school and would go hunting after school. No one shot the place up? Why? The guns are pretty much the same as now. Are people really more mentally ill? Maybe in the social media world now, society has changed. Pissed off people can be known and let the world see what they do. Also, how about teaching respect to kids for the ones they want to bully. I don't see these kids killing others had they not been picked on. 
    What a long winded, tedious, lump of ****.

Yet its all true. Sorry the truth is so painful for you lib.
    Not really true.  nolaegghead nailed it.  You must be a scared little man to feel the need to hide behind made up BS and your AR15’s.  Not to mention a really bad hunter.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Jsphipps said:
    All the libs make it all so simple. Blame the NRA. Blame the Second Amendment. Blame ARs. Very rarely do you see them blame the people doing it. They just want common sense gun laws after all. Even though 99.999% of the legal gun owners will never carry out a mass shooting, they must still give up something even though they did nothing wrong. No law ever has stopped someone set on breaking it. A law just states what the punishment is if you do break it. Look at the VT shooting and what weapon was used. It doesn't matter if its a black rifle or a handgun. Its the evil in the person that's the true weapon.

History proves that when the government disarms its citizens they are at their mercy. Governments have killed more of its citizens than wars have. Do you really trust your government that much that you never seeing them turn on us?

I see some on here are even against making schools more secure as something bad. Well, there's a reason you see these cowards shooting setting ducks in these gun free zones. We can point blame all day long but the truth is you can never legislate evil out of of a persons heart and mind. Anyone can find a way to harm others so being proactive and at least give these schools a way to keep them out and protect these children. Our politicians have all these protocols why not our kids? 

When I was in school many of us took knives and guns to school and would go hunting after school. No one shot the place up? Why? The guns are pretty much the same as now. Are people really more mentally ill? Maybe in the social media world now, society has changed. Pissed off people can be known and let the world see what they do. Also, how about teaching respect to kids for the ones they want to bully. I don't see these kids killing others had they not been picked on. 
    What a long winded, tedious, lump of ****.

Yet its all true. Sorry the truth is so painful for you lib.
    Not really true.  nolaegghead nailed it.  You must be a scared little man to feel the need to hide behind made up BS and your AR15’s.  Not to mention a really bad hunter.
    Pfffttt. Vegetarians are bad hunters. Dudes hunting snipe with AR-15’s are “patriots”.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    We saw Hofstetter at a small (250 or so seat) venue in Lincoln a couple months back.  Angie was familiar with him and said we have to go.  I was like who?  Never heard of him.
    Turned out to be money and time well spent.  He and the supporting cast gave a highly entertaining and thought provoking show. 
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA