Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'No Way To Prevent This,' says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @dbCooper - thanks for the read.  No doubt that mental health is a big piece but...I also focus on the access to the automatic assault rifle like the AR-15.  Regardless, if you don't have access to that type weapon the  ability to deliver carnage has got to be reduced.  But reinstituting the assault rifle ban is likely not an option (hope I am wrong here).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @dbCooper - thanks for the read.  No doubt that mental health is a big piece but...I also focus on the access to the automatic assault rifle like the AR-15.  Regardless, if you don't have access to that type weapon the  ability to deliver carnage has got to be reduced.  But reinstituting the assault rifle ban is likely not an option (hope I am wrong here).  
    I would certainly welcome an "all of the above" approach.  For example, why don't we both fund school psychologists to address the mental health piece and pass some common-sense gun regulations?  I bet most Americans would support the same, but the process in DC is completely broken so it's all moot. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Peterson: I don’t think most people realize that these are suicides, in addition to homicides. Mass shooters design these to be their final acts. When you realize this, it completely flips the idea that someone with a gun on the scene is going to deter this. If anything, that’s an incentive for these individuals. They are going in to be killed.

This, in particular, struck me.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Options
    Don't remember which news source it was, this morning, but they stated that they simply didn't have enough roving reporter teams to cover all the shootings.  WTFF.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    I’m afraid “This time it feels different “ is the new “ thoughts and prayers “. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch
    Options
    Sooo glad Jon didn't fully retire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6KZY4msgUY

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Thank you seditionous judge, for one of the few decisions that you have made that doesn’t  push us towards a real-world Handmaid’s Tale.
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Just found this, after the recent reminder that we have an OT section. Still on p.3 trying to catch up.

For those looking for examples of what other civilized countries have done:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/25/world/europe/gun-laws-australia-britain.html

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    Options
    You cannot fix dumb and stupid.  The juice is not worth the squeeze.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    ^^^^ why I endorse HEB.  Mail order supporter here.  You guys in Texas...lucky beyond words!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    at the local pharmacy, finally an answer to this gun problem

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options

I suspect that unenforceable.  They usually need to have the statue allowing them to deny freedoms posted along with the sign.

Also, criminals don't follow signs, so this just makes the customers soft targets.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options

I suspect that unenforceable.  They usually need to have the statue allowing them to deny freedoms posted along with the sign.

Also, criminals don't follow signs, so this just makes the customers soft targets.

good chance the guy walking in with a lit cig is carrying weapons and guns, its fool proof.........
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

good chance the guy walking in with a lit cig is carrying weapons and guns, its fool proof.........
    Probably shirtless too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

“deny freedoms” good Lord.  You are not free to walk into any private business with your hog in your hand, never mind a hand cannon.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

“deny freedoms” good Lord.  You are not free to walk into any private business with your hog in your hand, never mind a hand cannon.
    But I am allowed to have my hog in my pants, just like I should be allowed to have my barker in my pocket.
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    All the libs make it all so simple. Blame the NRA. Blame the Second Amendment. Blame ARs. Very rarely do you see them blame the people doing it. They just want common sense gun laws after all. Even though 99.999% of the legal gun owners will never carry out a mass shooting, they must still give up something even though they did nothing wrong. No law ever has stopped someone set on breaking it. A law just states what the punishment is if you do break it. Look at the VT shooting and what weapon was used. It doesn't matter if its a black rifle or a handgun. Its the evil in the person that's the true weapon.

History proves that when the government disarms its citizens they are at their mercy. Governments have killed more of its citizens than wars have. Do you really trust your government that much that you never seeing them turn on us?

I see some on here are even against making schools more secure as something bad. Well, there's a reason you see these cowards shooting setting ducks in these gun free zones. We can point blame all day long but the truth is you can never legislate evil out of of a persons heart and mind. Anyone can find a way to harm others so being proactive and at least give these schools a way to keep them out and protect these children. Our politicians have all these protocols why not our kids? 

When I was in school many of us took knives and guns to school and would go hunting after school. No one shot the place up? Why? The guns are pretty much the same as now. Are people really more mentally ill? Maybe in the social media world now, society has changed. Pissed off people can be known and let the world see what they do. Also, how about teaching respect to kids for the ones they want to bully. I don't see these kids killing others had they not been picked on. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You have the freedom to get your ass capped at any time as a US citizen living in backwardsasfuckville.  The rest of the developed world think we are totally f*cking nuts, but they don’t understand true patriotfreedomness, right guys?
    Options
    It’s definitely the video games.  And instagram.

Most other countries have those things and don’t have a fraction of our gun deaths, but young Americans are just particularly disrespectful I guess.   Or they’re bullied more.  It must be one of those…
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Sigh.

So Wilson, where are you on mandatory background checks, mandatory education, training, testing/qualification?  Who can’t own a gun?  Is there an evil in their heart test?  Would you be ok with federal mandatory waiting periods, federal magazine capacity limits?  Would you be ok with designating some guns for hunting and others for sport shooting and self defense and having different rules?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    All the libs make it all so simple. Blame the NRA. Blame the Second Amendment. Blame ARs. Very rarely do you see them blame the people doing it. They just want common sense gun laws after all. Even though 99.999% of the legal gun owners will never carry out a mass shooting, they must still give up something even though they did nothing wrong. No law ever has stopped someone set on breaking it. A law just states what the punishment is if you do break it. Look at the VT shooting and what weapon was used. It doesn't matter if its a black rifle or a handgun. Its the evil in the person that's the true weapon.

History proves that when the government disarms its citizens they are at their mercy. Governments have killed more of its citizens than wars have. Do you really trust your government that much that you never seeing them turn on us?

I see some on here are even against making schools more secure as something bad. Well, there's a reason you see these cowards shooting setting ducks in these gun free zones. We can point blame all day long but the truth is you can never legislate evil out of of a persons heart and mind. Anyone can find a way to harm others so being proactive and at least give these schools a way to keep them out and protect these children. Our politicians have all these protocols why not our kids? 

When I was in school many of us took knives and guns to school and would go hunting after school. No one shot the place up? Why? The guns are pretty much the same as now. Are people really more mentally ill? Maybe in the social media world now, society has changed. Pissed off people can be known and let the world see what they do. Also, how about teaching respect to kids for the ones they want to bully. I don't see these kids killing others had they not been picked on. 
    What a long winded, tedious, lump of ****.

Options
    Load up citizens with guns to "protect themselves from government"....how's that work?  The militias were supposed to protect us from bad actors...what if they ARE the bad actors?  Look at history, like you said.  Look at what happened Jan 6th (if you poke your turtle head out of your bubble you'll understand).
    Legume said:
    Sigh.

So Wilson, where are you on mandatory background checks, mandatory education, training, testing/qualification?  Who can’t own a gun?  Is there an evil in their heart test?  Would you be ok with federal mandatory waiting periods, federal magazine capacity limits?  Would you be ok with designating some guns for hunting and others for sport shooting and self defense and having different rules?
    We used to not have a background check and you could even order a gun to your door from Sears. Where were all the mass shootings? I'd love to see NRA classes taught in school to educate kids about guns. A waiting period would do nothing.

I hunt with ARs so what's your point? I also never saw a person under attack that wished they had a 5 round mag over a 30. I saw a story not long ago where 5 armed men broke into a mans house and he was able to defend himself with his AR and high capacity mag. Also did you look up the VT shooting and the weapons used? Its not hard to walk into a school room and shoot 30 setting ducks with a couple of handguns. You can drop a mag and be ready to shoot in a matter of seconds. Plus, just because you take my 30 round mag doesn't mean the criminals will all run to turn theirs in. Somehow you guys must trust criminals to do the right thing every time.
  • WildmanWilson
    Options

What a long winded, tedious, lump of ****.

Yet its all true. Sorry the truth is so painful for you lib.