Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'No Way To Prevent This,' says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Options

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Botch said:
    I am happy to see you support minimizing Mag capacity limits.  Thank you.  But...  << said Botch; quoting intelligently on this forum is difficult.

Battleborn said:
    Every single one of those instances, with the exception of Route 91, could have been done with pistols and achieved the same death count. 

Trust me, I’m not advocating for status quo. Something has to be done. I would rather spend time, money and resources in people rather than fighting doing the same on an object.
    No, I can't agree with that statement at all.  Many kids were able to flee during reloading (and I have no clue about how big a clip can be loaded into a pistol) during several attacks in the past.  The type of weapon DOES matter!  

Finally, I'm completely unfamiliar with "Route 91"; do you have a link/background?  Thanks.    
    You can get 30 round magazines in a lot of handguns with 50 round drums readily available for Glocks, which is probably the most popular handgun. 

Route 91 is the festival in Las Vegas that happened in 2017. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Botch said:
    I am happy to see you support minimizing Mag capacity limits.  Thank you.  But...  << said Botch; quoting intelligently on this forum is difficult.

Battleborn said:
    Every single one of those instances, with the exception of Route 91, could have been done with pistols and achieved the same death count. 

Trust me, I’m not advocating for status quo. Something has to be done. I would rather spend time, money and resources in people rather than fighting doing the same on an object.
    No, I can't agree with that statement at all.  Many kids were able to flee during reloading (and I have no clue about how big a clip can be loaded into a pistol) during several attacks in the past.  The type of weapon DOES matter!  

Finally, I'm completely unfamiliar with "Route 91"; do you have a link/background?  Thanks.    
    You can get 30 round magazines in a lot of handguns with 50 round drums readily available for Glocks, which is probably the most popular handgun. 

The 30 round magazines and the 50 round drums - are those necessary for hunting, or self-defense?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Battleborn
    Options
    Botch said:

Battleborn said:

The 30 round magazines and the 50 round drums - are those necessary for hunting, or self-defense?
    Absolutely not. And as I said above, magazine capacity limits is something I could get behind. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options

I believe that if we begin to address things like mental health we would see a drastic decline in these types of events. Our county jail is the #1 provider of mental health services in the state. That seems crazy to me. 

That was the essence of "Defund The Police", reallocate the mental health monies from law enforcement back to the mental health providers.  The idea being letting both sets of professionals focus on what they do best.
    Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, various unscrupulous political actors morphed the movement message into "Shut down police forces and fire the officers". 
    Thanks @Battleborn for the service you provide and your input here.  And happy anniversary too!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Battleborn
    Options
    dbCooper said:

I believe that if we begin to address things like mental health we would see a drastic decline in these types of events. Our county jail is the #1 provider of mental health services in the state. That seems crazy to me. 

That was the essence of "Defund The Police", reallocate the mental health monies from law enforcement back to the mental health providers.  The idea being letting both sets of professionals focus on what they do best.
    Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, various unscrupulous political actors morphed the movement message into "Shut down police forces and fire the officers". 
    Thanks @Battleborn for the service you provide and your input here.  And happy anniversary too!
    I always believed that was a failed logic. Police departments are already underfunded, understaffed and undertrained. That is not where money needs to be diverted from. We have 100’s of billions of dollars we send overseas that could be used here. 

Everything comes down to politics and how the wind is blowing at the current time. Hopefully one day we can get back to finding common ground and finding some solutions without everything being all or nothing. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don’t think you could have stopped me from going in if I was there, even if it was stupid.
    edited May 2022
    Options
    even though we have had some over paid officers in my town, their training is high level.  they have gone down my street looking like an elite army force. enough so that there have been calls to stop it and the chief forced into an early retirement. the high school is really unsecured though, some hippy liberal idea of open concept classrooms. silliest thing ive ever seen in a school, 6 teachers with their own classes in one open room
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Question for you @Battleborn on this one - you had mentioned that in your experience, police departments and underfunded and understaffed.  I'm just curious what you think of Uvalde spending 40% of their municipal budget on their police force.  Does that seem high to you?

I think there are two ways to view this.  Maybe some departments are still underfunded because even with a city spending 40% of their budget on police, the reality is that LEOs are still asked to do a lot.  The other view is that in a lot of cities, 40% of the city budget still doesn't add up to a whole lot.  
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sure are a lot of unknown variables there to form an opinion. 
    Options
    Sure are a lot of unknown variables there to form an opinion. 
    That never stopped you!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited May 2022
    Options
    That blue camo is really working in that desert looking landscape, but that’s not 40% of their budget there. (Edit - misread, I thought it was 40% of police budget on swat stuff).

To me this is only slightly better than a town the size of Uvalde investing more heavily in more jails and judges.  We are working the wrong end of the problem, it’s either too hard or not as much fun to work the upstream end of problems.  It also requires coordination and multi-faceted approaches across government silos that is tough to achieve, businesses struggle with this too because it’s not easy and we want short term returns.  

Prevention is notoriously hard to measure, it can take a long time and large samples to be able to show progress - our political environment does not allow for these kinds of approaches and the commitment necessary.  Think about how many times a politician makes claims that his opponents policies have failed and its been what, six months?  We have probably abandoned more good ideas too quickly than we have enacted bad ideas.  Unfortunately, we let politicians convince us it matters if the idea was brought by red or blue, we let them convince us to not judge ideas on merit with their talking points.

We as consumers don’t buy into long term solutions either.  That’s a problem we all have and share in as a society.  Lose weight quickly!  Get rich quickly!  Binge a whole season of shows in one weekend!  Buy a car with no money down!

We have a responsibility to take a longer term view and not accept politician's or media’s talking points at face value.  They are lawyers arguing a very narrow case for a very specific outcome.  Every.  Single.  Day.
  • Battleborn
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Question for you @Battleborn on this one - you had mentioned that in your experience, police departments and underfunded and understaffed.  I'm just curious what you think of Uvalde spending 40% of their municipal budget on their police force.  Does that seem high to you?

I think there are two ways to view this.  Maybe some departments are still underfunded because even with a city spending 40% of their budget on police, the reality is that LEOs are still asked to do a lot.  The other view is that in a lot of cities, 40% of the city budget still doesn't add up to a whole lot.  
    As Nola said there are a lot of variables. The 40% number seems like a lot at first glance, but what does it include? Obviously the police themselves. Jails are expensive to operate. Support staff, maintenance and communications add up. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

As Nola said there are a lot of variables. The 40% number seems like a lot at first glance, but what does it include? Obviously the police themselves. Jails are expensive to operate. Support staff, maintenance and communications add up. 
    Here's the breakdown - looks like the bulk of it is straight salaries:

As a point of reference, the town has a population of around 16,000 people.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just noticed the pair of zeroes by the "School Resource Officer".  Damn.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

Looking like the residents of Uvalde should demand the disbanding of their entire police force and start from scratch.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Looking like the residents of Uvalde should demand the disbanding of their entire police force and start from scratch.

Somehow this just keeps getting worse.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I think they should publish the photos of the carnage, exactly where they lay, with the blood on the floor and splattered on the desk and walls, for everyone to see instead of the cute and sweet pictures of them smiling.

Post the image of the parents doing DNA tests, because it is so difficult to identify  some of the children after they have been hit with a round or two.

Then after you see that, let us have that pro life hypocrisy bull **** argument.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Here's the breakdown - looks like the bulk of it is straight salaries:

As a point of reference, the town has a population of around 16,000 people.

The numbers are right in the average range.  I don't think this stuff is an outlier in any way over the average small town police dept.  (based on looking up the averages).
    Options

That's weird because I remember a bout a dozen people telling me there aren't any loopholes.
    Options

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Clearly the problem is the door was propped open.  If it had been shut and locked, the gunman would’ve gotten back into his truck and driven home to help his grandma to the hospital.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options