Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Road Trip

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    @Eoin, it will be an adventure and it has been far too long since my last one. Many new EVs will be available in the next couple of years.
    It's funny, driving an EV now (non-Tesla) is an adventure, like it must have been in the early days of petrol power. You're never quite sure if you'll get there, or at least when you'll get there.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Eoin said:
    @Eoin, it will be an adventure and it has been far too long since my last one. Many new EVs will be available in the next couple of years.
    It's funny, driving an EV now (non-Tesla) is an adventure, like it must have been in the early days of petrol power. You're never quite sure if you'll get there, or at least when you'll get there.
    Pull a small, light trailer with a Predator 9500 inverter generator.  Kind of defeats the purpose of electric, but not like you would do this very often.

• In case of a dire emergency I can charge off of any standard 120 wall outlet though it will be very slow. 240 volt level 2 chargers are very common though really meant for over night charging. The key question is if the 150kW DC fast chargers in Hammond and just east of Lafayette are going to be operational. Once I get into Texas they are very common. 
  • Eoin said:
    Possibly part of the challenge.
  • I will probably be looking for authentic Mexican( or authentic anything) food rather than just barbecue. Toying with swinging by a couple of places that make my favorite rubs though. Albukirky and Halaal Pitmasters come to mind. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I will catch hell on this but I like CHUY’S. IMO really good TexMex. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Are you traveling with a dog?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Are you traveling with a dog?
    No he is a bad passenger. Maybe he gets a bit motion sick? He will spend the time at a nice boarding facility that I have used before and that he seems to like.
  • Mickey said:
    It looks like there is one in Lafayette Louisiana. That will be about where I need to stop for a late lunch anyhow. I like the look of their tortilla soup. anything else there a must try?
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Great sounding road trip!     While I normally just get in the truck and go (900 miles from F to E) and I rarely stop, there are some good haunts.    @Mickey
    suggests Chuy's...while ok, it's not great Tex Mex IMO but it's easy on the wallet.    There is the obligatory Bucee's for potty breaks/refreshments (and their food is much better than average for a "convenient" store) and you have at least 3 on I-10 in Texas.   

However for bbq, there is the Burnt Bean in Seguin.

Plenty of great choices on I-10 while cruising through the Houston area but you mentioned you are trying to not focus on metropolitan areas so I'll digress.

If you want to get past metro Houston before stopping, check out Kathy's Corner in the Seguin area (it will be on the south side).   Great food, etc but in a pseudo-"convenient store" setting.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    ^Sorry, Kathy's Corner in Sealy area not Seguin
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Mickey said:
    It looks like there is one in Lafayette Louisiana. That will be about where I need to stop for a late lunch anyhow. I like the look of their tortilla soup. anything else there a must try?

While I am not a fan of their food, its ok, not bad, my wife loves their tortilla soup.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey said:
    When seated ask for the creamy jalapeño sauce for dip (no charge) and i drink the stuff.  Wife likes soup and the salad. I like the loaded nachos or the Elvis Presley Chicken. 
    Before retiring spent 3 days in San Antonio (best city in our state) eating 100% Mexican food (3 days). Stopped in Austin on the way home at Chuy’s. 
    Lafayette is the halfway point between Salado and Santa Rosa Beach (400 mile point). 
    Normally stay at the Drury Inn as they only charge us $40. for the poodle. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    all i saw in new mexico was strike indicators going under and big fish under navajo dam =) did i miss anything. you cant walk in that river without stepping on a fish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Well, did ya stop in Lafayette? Beautiful weather here the last couple of days….and If you went to Chuy’s, you definitely saw the better side of our city
  • October 4th is when I will be there. This weekend I have to take my parents to see my youngest uncle at least once before the brain tumor takes him out. Freaking John Hopkins took five weeks to get the test results back after the local hospital removes nine tenths of the original tumor. Now they are going by the same route to MD Anderson in Houston this Monday for what good it’s going to do.
  • Just ate at Chuys in San Marcos. I agree on the jalapeño ranch, and I’ll add anything with boom boom sauce (spicy queso). They have a smaller menu now due to COVID, my friend from England couldn’t pass up the ‘Elvis Presley memorial combo’

Chuys is an Austin institution that has spread out a bit.  I also like Polvos if we’re downtown, or Los Pinos if we’re in lakeway. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Ocean Springs Mississippi, just East of Biloxi.
    You moved back to Ocean Springs? I think you had been in Hattiesburg for a while? 
    New Orleans LA
  • Dondgc said:
    Ocean Springs Mississippi, just East of Biloxi.
    You moved back to Ocean Springs? I think you had been in Hattiesburg for a while? 
    My elderly parents have health issues. I frequently go to Hattiesburg for 2 to 4 days at a time but I still own my house and am in it right now. Fortunately the health issues have slowed down and one of my sisters now has more time to help out.
  • This weekend was driving them to see my dad’s kid brother before he goes for 4 weeks of radiation to slow down a brain tumor. My niece took this picture of my uncle and me Saturday.
  • Btw his XL Egg is in the outdoor pavilion that we had just left. Maybe 100 feet away.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I have decided to make my first stop in Katy Texas. Any good breakfast spots there? I'll do a search for a hotel reservation a bit latter today . Will be aiming for San Antonio after that. I might go through Midland though it is a bit out of the way.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Okay, is that a charger in Katy? It appears to be a battery buffered charger, probably in an area of less demand. 
  • I have decided to make my first stop in Katy Texas. Any good breakfast spots there? I'll do a search for a hotel reservation a bit latter today . Will be aiming for San Antonio after that. I might go through Midland though it is a bit out of the way.
    I believe @cazzy lives in Katy.  He should be able to hook you up with a rec.  Better yet, see about securing some of his Que.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    You can make it all the way to Katy? Also road tripping when Cruisin’ the Coast in town? Man, I’d pick a different week to go!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Houston is a 7 or 8 hour trip from Hattiesburg, my uncle is at MD Anderson now. I am a bit closer . I might decide to stop in Beaumont but now way on earth am I stopping in Houston. As to Cruising the Coast it is a coincidence, I didn’t check the date when making my plans, but old gas burners aren’t really my thing. Like a lot of tourists event they can be a pain for locals. Anyhow any later and I could be caught by snow in the Rockies.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    There is a Buc-ees in Katy.  They have everything.  Gas, breakfast, lunch, dinner, good smokers, clothing, whatever.   And whatever you eat there I'd still recommend a stop about 2 hours later - either at Luling City Market (about 15 minutes north of I-10) or Burnt Bean in Seguin.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Gulfcoastguy
    I will put Burnt Bean on the list.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Houston is a 7 or 8 hour trip from Hattiesburg, my uncle is at MD Anderson now. I am a bit closer . I might decide to stop in Beaumont but now way on earth am I stopping in Houston. As to Cruising the Coast it is a coincidence, I didn’t check the date when making my plans, but old gas burners aren’t really my thing. Like a lot of tourists event they can be a pain for locals. Anyhow any later and I could be caught by snow in the Rockies.
    That was last week.   =).  (Just a dusting, you should be good)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure