Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

First Competition Cook

ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 5,483
I participated in my first competition cook this weekend. It was a sanctioned KCBS Backyard BBQ event. 14 teams from all over the country showed up, including a high school competition bbq team out of Georgia. It was a great experience and a lot of fun. I’m not a finesse type of guy but I would do it again. We didn’t hang around for the awards ceremony being that they were 4 hours past our last turn in box. 

 
~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
(2) XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

Comments

  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 20,794
    Nice John!  Everything looks awfully good, but those ribs look spot on.  Did you try one yourself?
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

    Ruining the forum, one post at a time.  

    Living large in the 919
  • dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 3,095
    Looks like a fun day!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

    Large BGE.

    "If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • ColbyLangColbyLang Posts: 1,435
    That 2XL is bad ass. I wish I could justify it. How did you and the team turnout in the competition? Agree with @JohnInCarolina, ribs looks great 
  • ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 5,483
    ColbyLang said:
    That 2XL is bad ass. I wish I could justify it. How did you and the team turnout in the competition? Agree with @JohnInCarolina, ribs looks great 
    We don’t know yet! Our last turn in box was at 1pm and the awards ceremony wasn’t until 5pm. I didn’t want to wait for 4 hours so I packed up and headed home. They’re suppose to notify us if we placed. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    (2) XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 24,223
    Way to jump into the deep end of the pool.  I'm sure you learned a lot along the way.  Groceries look great.  Feel free to share any insights as this event unfolded.
    Again-congrats for taking up the challenge.
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • bubbajackbubbajack Posts: 853
    Awesome! Looking good to me! Glad ya'll had a good time.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

    Salisbury, NC...... XL,L,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2

    I am locked in a place where now one goes - we have no quarter!
  • jdMyersjdMyers Posts: 694
    Wow proud of you.  Not many would jump in like that.   Wonderful turn ins.  Ribs look incredible 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 14,925
    Nice job John. For what it’s worth, my College diploma was mailed to me.
    Johns Creek GA with a Large & a 17" Blackstone........Medium & MiniMax in storage

    Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 8,139
    Great job, Iove competitions !
    Visalia, Ca

    LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon Fat Stacks 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 5,815
    A winner in my book!! Great job John 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 5,561
    Looks like a blast. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 8,891
    Looks awesome.  I've never competed myself but I've spent several weekends hanging out with competition teams and it is always a great learning - and bonding - experience.  

    XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

    San Antonio, TX

  • ryanttryantt Posts: 2,409
    Way not to finish D.A.L.   Glad you enjoyed yourself, the best part about cooking at events like this is meeting all the people.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 


  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 8,891
    Good job.  In the long run, that's probably better than doing surprisingly well on your first one and not replicating it going forward...

    XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

    San Antonio, TX

  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 16,545
    Next time let me know. I will bring slushees. Congrats on your first, and thank you for sharing.

    Great to see you back at it my friend.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RiverBBQRiverBBQ Posts: 189
    Wow, That school is not that far from me. I’m transferring my kids ! A school BBQ team, impressive.
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • Tspud1Tspud1 Posts: 1,346
    ColtsFan said:
    lousubcap said:
    Way to jump into the deep end of the pool.  I'm sure you learned a lot along the way.  Groceries look great.  Feel free to share any insights as this event unfolded.
    Again-congrats for taking up the challenge.
    The biggest takeaway from the experience is that the pellet smoker teams are always the brunt of the jokes. Lots of jokes were made in their direction. The UDS and WSM teams seem to lead the way in that department. 
    Everyone that I talked to was completely open and cool with me creeping in on their styles, techniques, etc.. Like this community, everyone there just loved cooking on their cookers and great bbq. Friendships were made, no doubt
    I didnt think pellet smokers are allowed in KCBS competitions

  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 8,139
    edited July 28
    Tspud1 said:
    ColtsFan said:
    lousubcap said:
    Way to jump into the deep end of the pool.  I'm sure you learned a lot along the way.  Groceries look great.  Feel free to share any insights as this event unfolded.
    Again-congrats for taking up the challenge.
    The biggest takeaway from the experience is that the pellet smoker teams are always the brunt of the jokes. Lots of jokes were made in their direction. The UDS and WSM teams seem to lead the way in that department. 
    Everyone that I talked to was completely open and cool with me creeping in on their styles, techniques, etc.. Like this community, everyone there just loved cooking on their cookers and great bbq. Friendships were made, no doubt
    I didnt think pellet smokers are allowed in KCBS competitions

    it is a self sustained fire one it is lit , electric cooking shall not be allowed 
    Visalia, Ca

    LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon Fat Stacks 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • Tspud1Tspud1 Posts: 1,346
    Thalkapigian said:
    Tspud1 said:
    ColtsFan said:
    lousubcap said:
    Way to jump into the deep end of the pool.  I'm sure you learned a lot along the way.  Groceries look great.  Feel free to share any insights as this event unfolded.
    Again-congrats for taking up the challenge.
    The biggest takeaway from the experience is that the pellet smoker teams are always the brunt of the jokes. Lots of jokes were made in their direction. The UDS and WSM teams seem to lead the way in that department. 
    Everyone that I talked to was completely open and cool with me creeping in on their styles, techniques, etc.. Like this community, everyone there just loved cooking on their cookers and great bbq. Friendships were made, no doubt
    I didnt think pellet smokers are allowed in KCBS competitions

    it is a self sustained fire one it is lit , electric cooking shall not be allowed 
    thats what I thought, been a while since I judged. Still pay my dues and keep my
    card ready for the day I might. Better gig eating BBQ than staying up all night cooking and spending money on meat you give away.
  • jdMyersjdMyers Posts: 694
    So what would you do differently the next time.  How was your stress level, and moat important what if any negative thing happened , aka dropped the ribs thru the dirt during the wrap, that wasn't funny then but makes you laugh now?  

    Columbus, Ohio
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 8,139
    jdMyers said:
    So what would you do differently the next time.  How was your stress level, and moat important what if any negative thing happened , aka dropped the ribs thru the dirt during the wrap, that wasn't funny then but makes you laugh now?  

    Done That LOL
    Visalia, Ca

    LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon Fat Stacks 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 9,271
    I did one a few weeks back. I got so sidetracked talking to friends and family that I forgot to sauce my ribs the last half hour. My wife usually cuts the ribs and does the garnish. She was out of town for the weekend. Lets just say majority of my points lost were in appearance.  =) My wife would have made it picture perfect. I guess my level of care wasn't up to their standard.  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

    Minnesota
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 8,139
    WeberWho said:
    I did one a few weeks back. I got so sidetracked talking to friends and family that I forgot to sauce my ribs the last half hour. My wife usually cuts the ribs and does the garnish. She was out of town for the weekend. Lets just say majority of my points lost were in appearance.  =) My wife would have made it picture perfect. I guess my level of care wasn't up to their standard.  ;)
    Love my Thermoworks TimeStack for this reason 
    Visalia, Ca

    LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon Fat Stacks 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 9,271
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:
    I did one a few weeks back. I got so sidetracked talking to friends and family that I forgot to sauce my ribs the last half hour. My wife usually cuts the ribs and does the garnish. She was out of town for the weekend. Lets just say majority of my points lost were in appearance.  =) My wife would have made it picture perfect. I guess my level of care wasn't up to their standard.  ;)
    Love my Thermoworks TimeStack for this reason 
    That would have come in super handy!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

    Minnesota
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 4,926
    ColtsFan said:
    There ended up being 16 teams. 
    11th chicken, 13th ribs, 14th butt. 14th overall. We didn’t finish last! Lol
    dayum . . . your ribs looked great IMHO! 
    aka marysvilleksegghead, moved to Basehor,KS 2/26/2021
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • How do you guys get ribs to cut so even/straight?  My ribs always seem to have curved bones that don’t cut straight up and down like that. I don’t compete snd they taste good so that’s all that matters. Just curious. 
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 9,271
    How do you guys get ribs to cut so even/straight?  My ribs always seem to have curved bones that don’t cut straight up and down like that. I don’t compete snd they taste good so that’s all that matters. Just curious. 
    Lots of digging through racks of ribs trying to find that perfect rack. I've even had to ask the butcher to open another box of ribs because of the bone curves that were available or set out for teams. You're usually cooking 2-3 racks for a 7 bone turn in.

    It doesn't need to be picture perfect for home but glancing the curvature of the bones helps for even home cooked ribs. 

    The knife is also key. I'll sharpen the knife or bring it up to my Dad's the night before the comp and get it surgical sharp. The knife won't be used or touched before it touches the ribs. I'll bring other knives for any other cutting. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

    Minnesota
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.