Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What was your greatest extravagance?

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Great Story, @NorthEgg.  And Welcome!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Botch: Spotted these and thought you’d like ‘em. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2021
    Options
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Good cast iron is ground smooth. 
    At least the older stuff was. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Some still is....

• SonVolt
    Options
    Those Finex pans are a work of art. I just can't bring myself to splurge on one though considering Lodge is <$20. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @SonVolt: I also have some Lodges. The difference, performance aside, is that I don’t get a thrill when I use them. No ragrets (sic)!
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Some still is....

It took me two looks at this picture to realize there was a sandwich in the pan.  

I’d say that’s proof you have a killer skillet. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Some still is....

The finex pans looked really nice. Really like the handles
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    An awesome pan, to be sure. Mind you, I do find them pricey for what you get. I bought mine with a lid, which, for me, made it a lot more versatile. 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I did see Finex at the lodge factory seconds store. Are they made by lodge? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I did see Finex at the lodge factory seconds store. Are they made by lodge? 
    They are now owned by Lodge. I have no idea if they are made in a separate plant. But Lodge does own them now. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Beautiful place.....and what a joy it will be.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I bought a nice Breville juicer from the pawn shop.  It was missing the waste bin but I just use a freezer bag.
    @Money_Hillbilly if you ever have plans to move be sure and let us know!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Money_Hillbilly - that is awesome!  Some guys have man caves, you have a man kitchen!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    A guess a house is a necessity. Soooo, I’ll go with 100% aluminum hybrid bay/offshore capable boat. 29’ with twin 300hp 4 strokes....

Holy crap.  Just one of those engines cost more than my first house. 

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Built a new house a couple years after retiring.  After a year in the house we enclosed the back porch and turned it into a sunroom so I was left with egging on the back patio.  For 2 years I agonized over spending the money to build a new outdoor kitchen.  My son finally pushed me to go for it.  “Dad it’s what you do.”  It took nearly as long to design and get built than building the house but turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. 

I'm in awe.  How do you think all that white trim and stained wood will hold up being exposed to the elements like that?  I'm in a similar climate with similar plans for the future. 
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @SonVolt The stained wood is cypress and holds up well in the outdoor elements.   I actually finished the trim myself on the ground before installation to ensure a better application.  More importantly the UV sunlight doesn’t get to it.  I had an outdoor kitchen at my previous home with the same ceiling and trim and it is now 8 years old with no problems.  The crown molding is poplar with primer and 3 coats of paint.  I don’t expect any problems.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @SonVolt The cabinet doors and island are also cypress.  I am sure the sun will have an impact on them and require a refinish every couple years.  I just preferred the wood look vs stainless doors.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    ColbyLang said:
    A guess a house is a necessity. Soooo, I’ll go with 100% aluminum hybrid bay/offshore capable boat. 29’ with twin 300hp 4 strokes....

Holy crap.  Just one of those engines cost more than my first house. 

Nahhh, them engines are cheap. She’ll run 70mph with an average load getting 1.2 mpg. Added a twin pair of Talon shallow water anchors since that pic. 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 368
    Options
    As a part-time property manager, I see a lot of rental applications. A common situation is age in the early 30s, no car loan, decent but average car, minimal debt except for student loans, and decent income. Because of the student debt, they won't be able to buy a house for at least a decade.
    They don't get to buy something extravagant for years, if ever.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    @Money_Hillbilly that is beautiful.  One of the best I have seen.  We spent so much time laying out the indoor kitchen in our house.  Planning will grow exponentially in the next house for the outdoor kitchen.  
  • SonVolt
    edited February 2021
    Options
    That's cool and all Ron, but have you ever seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, or watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    That's cool and all, but have you ever seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, or watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate?
    Since I am a robot, yes.  Yes I have.

Options
    Corv said:
    As a part-time property manager, I see a lot of rental applications. A common situation is age in the early 30s, no car loan, decent but average car, minimal debt except for student loans, and decent income. Because of the student debt, they won't be able to buy a house for at least a decade.
    They don't get to buy something extravagant for years, if ever.
    That doesnt make sense. If they have a decent income, no car payment, and minimal other debt how does a couple hundred a month stop someone from buying a house? If $200 a month was all the cushion i had buying a house and then not being able to handle the payments I wouldnt be buying a house. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    That's cool and all Ron, but have you ever seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, or watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate?

Good bye Roy...RIP.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk