Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What was your greatest extravagance?

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,509
    Options

I didn't need a second DSLR, but this looks, and operates, like my old trusty FM-2.  Bought at 2/3rds price of New, immaculate condition.  I've since also purchased a D-500, but that wasn't an extravagance, it's a tool.  :tongue:  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Botch I hear ya. Leicas...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I finally bought that extended used car warranty after dozens of phone calls
    Every blue moon I'll get a human to screw with.  Ask them about the rate for my 1.5M Bugatti Chiron. 
      I pissed those guys off so bad they started using my number to spam.  A hour ago someone called me and left me a nasty voicemail telling me not to call them again. 
      They did the same thing to another guy in Ohio last week except they called the cops using his number and confessed to murdering his wife. 

https://www.wtap.com/2021/01/20/telemarketer-calls-911-impersonating-washington-county-resident/
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,913
    Options
    Mine has to be the $11K I spent for my lawn irrigation system. I have an odd size lot with lots of trees. Dragging hoses out, moving them to get coverage and paying attention was time consuming and an irritant! Now I just sit back, do nothing and the timer takes care of it all!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,472
    Options
    Langner91 said:

I bought that bottle of Ketel One behind the 20 year old bottle of bourbon.  Sorry those other bottles were in the way.  

Seriously, my coworker gave me that photo.  He and his brother bought those four.
    @Langner91 I don't know what you do for a living but it must pay extremely well for your co-worker to buy into that collection at those prices.  But to each his own.  You should talk them into inviting you to participate in a blind taste test of the three Van Winkles.  One can dream! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,177
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    My greatest extravangance has got to be a few of the firearms I own. I have a weakness for rust blued steel, case hardening, and beautiful walnut. They are extravagant because the extra $$ is entirely about aesthetics and joy of ownership. 

Yeah... me too.
    Guns are not an extravagance.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    My greatest extravangance has got to be a few of the firearms I own. I have a weakness for rust blued steel, case hardening, and beautiful walnut. They are extravagant because the extra $$ is entirely about aesthetics and joy of ownership. 

Yeah... me too.
    Guns are not an extravagance.

SciAggie said:
    That one is ,NIB
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,456
    Options
    I forgot about guns. Nothing extravagant other than an Accuracy International AE MK3 I got for 40% off NIB. Do have a custom bolt action rifle that I use regularly for hunting. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,177
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I bought what was left of an entire case of 48" flourescent light bulbs.  Needed 12, got 36.  They were marked down to $0.10 a bulb...oops wrong thread, meant WAYBN, but I guess it works here too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I bought what was left of an entire case of 48" flourescent light bulbs.  Needed 12, got 36.  They were marked down to $0.10 a bulb...oops wrong thread, meant WAYBN, but I guess it works here too.
    You commitment to keeping the lights on is well worth the extravagate tag.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    Options
    You commitment to keeping the lights on is well worth the extravagate tag.
    A tip of the hat to Tom Bodet and Motel 6. They've kept the light on for us for years. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    Lit said:

i have to say that the new prices are driving me out of this particular market. by spring that will be the price for a 4 pack. and whats with this newer trend for cans
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:

i have to say that the new prices are driving me out of this particular market. by spring that will be the price for a 4 pack. and whats with this newer trend for cans
    It is crazy. I think the average 4 pack i buy is about $20 range.
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    Lit said:

Not a fan either but makes sense.
    My beer never hangs around long enough to spoil. 

https://www.thespruceeats.com/bottles-vs-cans-353100

Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I find the whole craft beer scene obnoxious. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:

this is the only one that makes it into my cart but i only buy it maybe twice a year. this one is different by far

Allagash Curieux Ale

fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @fishlessman - that's a great beer.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

I can now buy this one at the local HEB vs having to drive to the place.  $18. and change plus tax each time.  However when they release other cans its more likely in $27 per 4 range.

The "wine bar" down the street also has it on tap so I usually just ride the eCargo bike up there and fill my Growler.  Downside to that is I end up drinking 64oz very quickly so "it wont spoil"
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    edited January 2021
    Options

i first had this about 20 years ago, the owner was just getting into to this type of beer. in the cooler under the table he had them, no labels yet and various barrel dates marked on masking tape by hand. never left that table once i found it at the fest. i think i paid 10 bucks for ten beers at that fest. his wife was a little upset that he brought their personal "homebrews"
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Yes.  Yes it is.  Great for sharing.  

It's best if it doesn't have to pass through New Orleans on the way to your house.  It tends to get hung up there.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• frazzdaddy
    Options
    SonVolt said:

this is the only one that makes it into my cart but i only buy it maybe twice a year. this one is different by far

Allagash Curieux Ale

Top 5 for me sir!
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

I can now buy this one at the local HEB vs having to drive to the place.  $18. and change plus tax each time.  However when they release other cans its more likely in $27 per 4 range.

The "wine bar" down the street also has it on tap so I usually just ride the eCargo bike up there and fill my Growler.  Downside to that is I end up drinking 64oz very quickly so "it wont spoil"
    I hear ya. Was forced to finish this last weekend. Said drink within 48hrs who am i to argue. Who makes that electric jellyfish?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I don’t have much of anything of value. But the few nice things I have would definitely be guns and tractors.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    SGH said:
    I don’t have much of anything of value. But the few nice things I have would definitely be guns and tractors.  
    And razors.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,456
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    SGH said:
    And razors.
    And overalls...
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Foghorn said:
    SGH said:
    And razors.
    And overalls...
    And anuses....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Foghorn said:
    SGH said:
    And razors.
    And overalls...
    And it's rumored he's got a brisket buried somewhere in the yard just in case. I'd say he's pretty well set.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon