Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vaccine Today, here we go!

Options
Got my first dose today. Thumbs up to the vaccine!

But I have two other words for the virus:

I have mixed emotions today. Glad to get the shot, proud of everyone who worked to make it happen. Sad for all the people who didn’t get it or won’t get it in time. Anxious that the vaccine not only prevents severe covid but also reduces transmission. Be well. 
Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Which one did you get?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I would think that it had to be the Pfizer since the Moderna was only approved late yesterday
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Good to see that!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Centex - Yep, Pfizer
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Way to step up and way to get out front and help support the best way out of this mess.  Nice move.  
    Had you mentioned it last night we would have had a toast to recognize your upcoming event.
    Glad there is no pre-shot wine limits protocol as you definitely enjoyed your final pre-vaccine banquet.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would think that it had to be the Pfizer since the Moderna was only approved late yesterday
    That would make sense :) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blind99
    Options
    @lousubcap after getting bumped from the first scheduled dose I figured I shouldn’t count my chicken before it hatched. But I have to say the process was slick. They had a bunch of check in stations in one room and a bunch of vaccination stations in the next room, and finally an observation room for 15 minutes of waiting. So far arm isn’t sore or any other side effects. Second dose may be worse, we’ll see. 

I figured the wine last night might produce a headache that would mask symptoms from the shot :) happy to say I have no ill effects from either. 
  • blind99
    Options
    etherdome said:
    I also posted this in the other vaccine thread but I got mine today as well. Only side effect so far is an overwhelming sense of gratitude. 
    @etherdome it’s amazing to think of all the people it took to get that little dose to my arm, and what a difference it all makes. Incredible. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’m glad you got. I’m anxiously waiting for my turn. Too many folks around me are getting it. I feel like I’m walking through a mine field in my community. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Good on you, Ben!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    blind99 said:

But I have two other words for the virus:

I have mixed emotions today. Glad to get the shot, proud of everyone who worked to make it happen. Sad for all the people who didn’t get it or won’t get it in time. Anxious that the vaccine not only prevents severe covid but also reduces transmission. Be well. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Found out today my buddy who manages a lab in BR got it.  My friend Jack had lunch (first Brisket Camp margarita guy) with him the day before he got symptoms so he is quarantining and will be taking a test Monday.  They want you to quarantine after your perceived exposure for 5 days before testing.  I had to pick something up from Jack today so he put it in his trailer and I drove by and swiveled it into my truck, masks on, 15 feet away outside, and left cookies.

I can't wait until I can hang out with Friends again.  I think I hurt my Hollywood stuntman buddy's feelings.  He came over (no masks) with his GF after being at a 100 person wedding and we sent him away.  He told me later he gets tested like 10 times a month working on set.  I said no hard feelings, it's just running rampant.  Anyway, we aren't talking much lately, but as long as we survive...
    Options
    Anyway, congrats!  Eff covid!
    Options
    @nolaegghead that stinks. It’s just so damned rampant. I’m with ya on seeing friends. I’ve got a lot of patience but this is getting old. 

Vaccination update: day after shot one, my arm is sore, about the same as a flu shot. 
  • QDude
    Options
    Found out today my buddy who manages a lab in BR got it.  My friend Jack had lunch (first Brisket Camp margarita guy) with him the day before he got symptoms so he is quarantining and will be taking a test Monday.  They want you to quarantine after your perceived exposure for 5 days before testing.  I had to pick something up from Jack today so he put it in his trailer and I drove by and swiveled it into my truck, masks on, 15 feet away outside, and left cookies.

I can't wait until I can hang out with Friends again.  I think I hurt my Hollywood stuntman buddy's feelings.  He came over (no masks) with his GF after being at a 100 person wedding and we sent him away.  He told me later he gets tested like 10 times a month working on set.  I said no hard feelings, it's just running rampant.  Anyway, we aren't talking much lately, but as long as we survive...
    You did the right thing sending them away.  I think that a lot of people are getting the virus by taking chances they should not.  Maybe they are doing everything right 95% of the time - masks, social distancing, etc.  But then something special  comes up (graduation event, wedding, neighbor invites you over for a drink, ...) and they don't do the right thing and get the virus.

Bottom line is that we need to take precautions 100% of the time.  95% still puts you at risk and may take you out for good.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Congrats. Was your arm sore at all. Mine was the next day after shot one, but that was Moderna.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blind99 said:

Right back at you brother blind. Guy Gronquist salutes you. And so do I 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @RyanStl  I was sore in the evening, but today (one day later) I don’t notice it at all. I tried to imagine I was feeling something like a mild fever. I took my temp once and it was normal. No worse than a flu shot. I’ll be interested to see how shot #2 goes. 

@SGH wooooohoooooo!
  • etherdome
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @RyanStl  I was sore in the evening, but today (one day later) I don’t notice it at all. I tried to imagine I was feeling something like a mild fever. I took my temp once and it was normal. No worse than a flu shot. I’ll be interested to see how shot #2 goes. 
    That’s funny. I did the same thing. Trying to decide all day if I felt normal. lol. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • blind99
    Options
    @saltysam glad to hear you’re all OK. I’m hopeful that they’ll get vaccinations available in the next few months for the people most at risk of bad outcomes. That’ll be game changing. 

Really stinks to miss the holidays but hang in there! 
  • nolaegghead
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Bridget was scheduled to get the vaccine Tuesday.  She's putting it off a week because a doctor at work whom she trusts told her she would wait to give her immune system time to recharge after getting the shingles (Shingrix) vaccine recently.  That Shingrix vaccine can kick your butt, we both got both shots separated by 3 to 4 weeks, she suffered some nasty side effects for the first vaccination, I was fine, although the arm of the injection site hurt like someone punched me.  That shot hurt going in, it was the worst in memory and I've gotten more than the average person having lived overseas.

Anyway, we're both looking forward to getting it, I'm pretty low on the list though.  We'll have some peace of mind when she gets it (hopefully successfully rescheduled a week later).  She has known a lot of coworkers get the virus and there have been some bad outcomes.  The medical community has been receiving a constant beat down in every way possible and we're heading into the worst of it (hopefully this won't peak yet again) probably with a tail long after the inevitable X-mas/New Years infections, maybe a month or two from now. 

The immunizations will not have any significant overall effect in this wave, but will hopefully give first responders a head start, and they need all the help they can get.  We have a devastating national shortage of doctors and nurses. 

Options
    Bless all of you who get the vaccine.  It will help all of us who haven’t had the opportunity.  I’m guessing it will be March before I am in line, but everyone of you who proceeds me reduces the risk for the rest us.  Vaccine on my friends!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Reading up on the tentative priority list of phases for vaccine, looks like I'm in 1c, I meet three of the criteria (overlapping).

The category of other essential workers in Phase 1c includes people in transportation and logistics, food service, construction and shelter and housing, finance, IT and communication, the energy sector, the media, the legal sector, public safety and water and wastewater industries.

Options
    One other thing, that proposal is a CDC recommendation.  States can change it, they have the ultimate decision.  Since I technically work for a company in another state, I'm not sure what will happen or where I fall in all this.
    Options
    Couple of friends of mine have gotten shingles. One guy said it was like getting stabbed over and over with a hot knitting needle. The other had eye involvement. Nasty. Glad you got that shot!  That’ll be great for Bridget and eventually you to get the covid vaccine. I’m hoping it’s not as long a delay as originally thought. 
  • QDude
    Options
    Bridget was scheduled to get the vaccine Tuesday.  She's putting it off a week because a doctor at work whom she trusts told her she would wait to give her immune system time to recharge after getting the shingles (Shingrix) vaccine recently.  That Shingrix vaccine can kick your butt, we both got both shots separated by 3 to 4 weeks, she suffered some nasty side effects for the first vaccination, I was fine, although the arm of the injection site hurt like someone punched me.  That shot hurt going in, it was the worst in memory and I've gotten more than the average person having lived overseas.

Anyway, we're both looking forward to getting it, I'm pretty low on the list though.  We'll have some peace of mind when she gets it (hopefully successfully rescheduled a week later).  She has known a lot of coworkers get the virus and there have been some bad outcomes.  The medical community has been receiving a constant beat down in every way possible and we're heading into the worst of it (hopefully this won't peak yet again) probably with a tail long after the inevitable X-mas/New Years infections, maybe a month or two from now. 

The immunizations will not have any significant overall effect in this wave, but will hopefully give first responders a head start, and they need all the help they can get.  We have a devastating national shortage of doctors and nurses. 

I guess that I will have to wait for a while also as I got my first shingles shot a few weeks ago and need to follow up in January for the second shot.  The first shot hurt and my arm was sore for about a week.

For those of you over 50, consider getting the shingles vaccination.  I did not and ended up getting them 2 years ago - not fun at all!  I know about a coworker's mother who just got the shingles and sustained nerve damage to her eye.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I got my shingles shots last year. I don't recall any pain, other than when I saw the bill. But even if I didn't have insurance, I would have had the shots. My mother had shingles, and it was a very bad time.

I will get the vaccine as soon as it is available. If I live that long.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.