Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vaccine Today, here we go!

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    edited December 2020
    Options
    The feds investigating the hospital that blind99 mentioned, the one that did only 1000 vaccinations despite being twice the size of his that did 5000, is worth doing. But the government doesn’t seem able to mandate competence. 
    I’ll say it again, turn Walgreens, CVS, and a few others loose with vaccines and a fixed price bounty per head, ur arm, and see what happens. They can definitely run through the nursing homes. Then start with their own customers first at 75 and up then 65 and up. A million shots a week the way that hospitals are doing it means 5 years to vaccinate everybody.
    I don't think you need to mandate competence to hit your own targets.  These are targets they established for themselves, ostensibly based on some understanding of how this all works.  You either have an understanding of distribution and some of the technical issues that might slow things down, or... you don't.   

in this area most of the hospitals i work with are owned by the same bean counter accounting firm, if there was money in this vaccination thing they would be all over it, but theres not.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    The feds investigating the hospital that blind99 mentioned, the one that did only 1000 vaccinations despite being twice the size of his that did 5000, is worth doing. But the government doesn’t seem able to mandate competence. 
    I’ll say it again, turn Walgreens, CVS, and a few others loose with vaccines and a fixed price bounty per head, ur arm, and see what happens. They can definitely run through the nursing homes. Then start with their own customers first at 75 and up then 65 and up. A million shots a week the way that hospitals are doing it means 5 years to vaccinate everybody.
    I don't think you need to mandate competence to hit your own targets.  These are targets they established for themselves, ostensibly based on some understanding of how this all works.  You either have an understanding of distribution and some of the technical issues that might slow things down, or... you don't.   
    Which doesn’t answer why hospitals that have all of the mentioned equipment and personnel have not been able to promptly use all of the vaccine that they have been provided. Vaccine has been delivered according to the priorities established by the CDC and agreed to by the WHO. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

in this area most of the hospitals i work with are owned by the same bean counter accounting firm, if there was money in this vaccination thing they would be all over it, but theres not.
    If only we had an administration that understood how money can motivate people...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options

If only we had an administration that understood how money can motivate people...

what we have is a system that hands out bailouts, thinking thats what bean counters want
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Which doesn’t answer why hospitals that have all of the mentioned equipment and personnel have not been able to promptly use all of the vaccine that they have been provided. Vaccine has been delivered according to the priorities established by the CDC and agreed to by the WHO. 
    I feel like I'm talking in circles.

My only point is that the administration vastly over-estimated the speed with which the vaccine could actually be administered.  They set a target, quite publicly, of 20M vaccinations by the end of the month.  They were asked several times over the course of this month whether or not we would actually end up hitting that, and each time they said yes we would.  Only Fauci has gone on record this week as admitting the obvious, that the vaccinations are way behind where they expected them to be.  

As to why this is the case, that's certainly a valid discussion.  But I think we all have to be willing to admit, at this point, that we have not had competent people overseeing things from the top, and that there is a real price associated with that.  Moreover we should all be concerned that we might lose yet another year to this pandemic instead of the possibility of some semblance of normality returning by the summer.  
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Turn it over to Walgreens, CVS, and one or two more. Give them $20 a shot to give it and step back. Walgreens will hire bounty hunters and hand them tranquilizer guns.

up here we have several free stop the spread testing sites in town, these would be the best places to vaccinate, its already setup for mass production
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,518
    Options
    Just now on the morning news they reported a Walgreens in Kentucky that vaccinated the retirement homes and first-line workers that they had "committed to" (whatever that means) and they had a lot of shots that had to be used up in the next few days, so they opened it up to the general public on a first-come/first-served basis.  This doesn't bode well.  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Botch said:
    Just now on the morning news they reported a Walgreens in Kentucky that vaccinated the retirement homes and first-line workers that they had "committed to" (whatever that means) and they had a lot of shots that had to be used up in the next few days, so they opened it up to the general public on a first-come/first-served basis.  This doesn't bode well.  
    That occurred in LA also. The hospital was using the Pfizer vaccine. It has to be diluted with saline solution and then has to be used within 5 hours. The hospital had vaccinated everyone on their list and had some vaccine left in at least one of their vials. The clock was ticking one of the nurses knew that her niece, a 30 something Disney employee was next door so she said get here now. I guess that they could have flushed the vial down the toilet but instead someone with a face to face service job is vaccinated.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options

My only point is that the administration vastly over-estimated the speed with which the vaccine could actually be administered.  They set a target, quite publicly, of 20M vaccinations by the end of the month.  They were asked several times over the course of this month whether or not we would actually end up hitting that, and each time they said yes we would.  Only Fauci has gone on record this week as admitting the obvious, that the vaccinations are way behind where they expected them to be.  

As to why this is the case, that's certainly a valid discussion.  But I think we all have to be willing to admit, at this point, that we have not had competent people overseeing things from the top, and that there is a real price associated with that.  Moreover we should all be concerned that we might lose yet another year to this pandemic instead of the possibility of some semblance of normality returning by the summer.  
    And I might be more agreeable if you admit that Operation Warp Speed produced not one but two viable vaccines in less than one fifth the time of any previous vaccine. Three if you count the AstraZeneca vaccine that the UK approved yesterday. 
    The fact remains that at some point states have to take responsibility for local distribution and use. In fact I remember New York governor Cuomo insisting on his state independently verifying and distributing the vaccine. Rag on him a bit.
  • HughJass
    Options
    @HughJass - well, in that case, I’m sure you won’t mind sharing the handle of your original account, so that we all know who we’re talking to here?

lwrehm

I little more background before I forget my password again so I don't get judged anymore...I grew up in Kohler, WI and still live not far from there, got my first BGE about 12 years ago (have a large and a small now), I work in banking software (20+ years) making sure all that RONA Stimulus money gets where it should. Obviously the public primary schools and university that I attended failed the taxpayers since I'm stupid and uneducated but still "was given" a dual B.B.A. in Human Resource Management and Management Information Systems.  I have been married for 24 years and 2 children one in college and one in 8th grade.  I consider myself fiscally conservative and socially moderate.  I pay my taxes, like watching hockey, and a bit of NFL football.  I grill brats the "right" way (NEVER par-cook before the grill), and charcoal will not burn on my property without a beer in my fat hands.  I drink too much, don't exercise enough and will probably die soon anyway.  I believe I did have "The RONA" back in Oktober, but was never tested, felt crappy for 2 days and couldn't smell or taste for well over a month. Thank you all for your time, sorry I ever posted on this forum and I bid you adieu.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,518
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Gulfcoastguy said:
    And I might be more agreeable if you admit that Operation Warp Speed produced not one but two viable vaccines in less than one fifth the time of any previous vaccine. Three if you count the AstraZeneca vaccine that the UK approved yesterday. 
    This isn't true.  Pfizer used their own funds to develop their vaccine, and Moderna did use government funds but not from OWS (OWS did fund the AZ vaccine, and distribution channels, however).  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

The fact remains that at some point states have to take responsibility for local distribution and use. In fact I remember New York governor Cuomo insisting on his state independently verifying and distributing the vaccine. Rag on him a bit.
    You continue to argue a point that is entirely different from the one I am making.  I really do not know why.  

Really, it's pretty simple.  If you don't think 20M citizens can be vaccinated within a month, then don't tell the public that they can.  So either the admin lied to the public, or (worse) they simply didn't understand the challenges in front of them.  I'll leave it at that.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HughJass said:
    @HughJass - well, in that case, I’m sure you won’t mind sharing the handle of your original account, so that we all know who we’re talking to here?

lwrehm

I little more background before I forget my password again so I don't get judged anymore...I grew up in Kohler, WI and still live not far from there, got my first BGE about 12 years ago (have a large and a small now), I work in banking software (20+ years) making sure all that RONA Stimulus money gets where it should. Obviously the public primary schools and university that I attended failed the taxpayers since I'm stupid and uneducated but still "was given" a dual B.B.A. in Human Resource Management and Management Information Systems.  I have been married for 24 years and 2 children one in college and one in 8th grade.  I consider myself fiscally conservative and socially moderate.  I pay my taxes, like watching hockey, and a bit of NFL football.  I grill brats the "right" way (NEVER par-cook before the grill), and charcoal will not burn on my property without a beer in my fat hands.  I drink too much, don't exercise enough and will probably die soon anyway.  I believe I did have "The RONA" back in Oktober, but was never tested, felt crappy for 2 days and couldn't smell or taste for well over a month. Thank you all for your time, sorry I ever posted on this forum and I bid you adieu.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Botch said:
    Gulfcoastguy said:
    This isn't true.  Pfizer used their own funds to develop their vaccine, and Moderna did use government funds but not from OWS (OWS did fund the AZ vaccine, and distribution channels, however).  
    With a pre guaranteed purchase at a set price of $19.50 a dose. That kind of takes the risk out of it doesn’t it? And the AZ vaccine was approved yesterday in the UK. Moderna also had pre approved vaccine orders by the federal government that enabled them to get their first ever vaccine on the market. Then there is Johnson and Johnson vaccine in third stage trials and Novavax. As far as Moderna receiving other federal money it is STILL federal money . Give the Cheeto his due .
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,637
    Options
    That’s what this is about - Cheeto cred?

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options

You continue to argue a point that is entirely different from the one I am making.  I really do not know why.  

Really, it's pretty simple.  If you don't think 20M citizens can be vaccinated within a month, then don't tell the public that they can.  So either the admin lied to the public, or (worse) they simply didn't understand the challenges in front of them.  I'll leave it at that.  
    I also remember when the FDA took a week longer to approve the Pfizer vaccine than the UK. You know the “medical experts” . During that week people were dying at the rate of 3000 per day.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

I also remember when the FDA took a week longer to approve the Pfizer vaccine than the UK. You know the “medical experts” . During that week people were dying at the rate of 3000 per day.
    About what percentage of your day, give or take, do you spend yelling at clouds?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options

About what percentage of your day, give or take, do you spend yelling at clouds?
    That depends on when the clouds rain on one side of the street. 
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited December 2020
    Options
    There’s a process. 

It’s not one guy who just “approves it” based on wanting to approve it. It needs to be properly reviewed. 

Just as it can’t be approved early, simply because Trump demanded that it be. 

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    There’s a process. 

It’s not one guy who just “approves it” based on wanting to approve it. It needs to be properly reviewed. 

Your spoiler alert is now going to cost me $$
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Here is a video by an English professor about the AZ vaccine, it's effectiveness, cost, the UK approach to mass vaccination, where it is produced, and a suggestion on how the FDA could speed up approval since the US has a contract for 300 million doses and even a single dose can keep that person out of the hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pj4_aK-j8I
  • Legume
    Options
    former FDA commish (now Pfizer board member) has been recommending giving all initial shipments as first doses to as many people as possible rather than the current strategy of holding back second dose supply that is being followed now.  I wasn’t a huge fan of the guy, but I think he’s right in this case.

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    There’s a process. 

I don't expect that anyone is keeping track, but I didn’t create/add/edit the spoiler. 

1.) This is not ‘my’ account

2.) I’m not the only one with the password to this account. 

3.) UMAI bags are designed solely to placate your wife, who will not want uncovered beef left in your fridge. If you don’t know how to explain to her what dry aging is, get the UMAI bags. It will shut her up (a little), and you can pretend you have a new toy. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Legume said:
    former FDA commish (now Pfizer board member) has been recommending giving all initial shipments as first doses to as many people as possible rather than the current strategy of holding back second dose supply that is being followed now.  I wasn’t a huge fan of the guy, but I think he’s right in this case.

That is the identical procedure that the UK is adopting as referenced in the video that I linked. Their point is that one shot will keep people out of the hospital and reduce the burden on ventilators and ICUs. They can comeback with the second shot up to 12 weeks later. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Here is a video by an English professor about the AZ vaccine, it's effectiveness, cost, the UK approach to mass vaccination, where it is produced, and a suggestion on how the FDA could speed up approval since the US has a contract for 300 million doses and even a single dose can keep that person out of the hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pj4_aK-j8I
    I found him to be very much a homer for UK, an oddly biased kind of posture for a scientist/professor.  Yes, that vaccine will be much better for global distribution, but that doesn’t impact you or me.  Cost doesn’t either.

Regardless of the source, cost or science, delivery seems to be the weak link now like testing was months ago.  If we had infrastructure built on nationalized healthcare, the leadership and decision making might have been better, but holistically, all countries have had challenges along the way and decisions that could be second guessed.

re FDA review time, if you think this was being sat on or running at standard red-tape pace, you would be wrong.  We have an environment where people fear vaccines, don’t trust the government and people believe shortcuts have been taken that could make the vaccines more risky.  Good science takes time and credibility is easily lost and near impossible to regain.

Lots of people are against anything that they are told looks like socialized medicine, but in this case, a little more governmental control seems like it would be welcomed.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    There’s a process. 

I don't expect that anyone is keeping track, but I didn’t create/add/edit the spoiler. 

1.) This is not ‘my’ account

2.) I’m not the only one with the password to this account. 

3.) UMAI bags are designed solely to placate your wife, who will not want uncovered beef left in your fridge. If you don’t know how to explain to her what dry aging is, get the UMAI bags. It will shut her up (a little), and you can pretend you have a new toy. 

I know #1 #2 and #3 I was just messing with you.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Legume
    Options
    Just hide the aging meat behind a wall of pickle jars.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

UMAI bags are designed solely to placate your wife, who will not want uncovered beef left in your fridge. If you don’t know how to explain to her what dry aging is, get the UMAI bags. It will shut her up (a little), and you can pretend you have a new toy.