Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,800
    edited June 2023

• Did the smoke alarm go off? I love the hard seats, but they can be brutal indoors. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,974

Did the smoke alarm go off? I love the hard seats, but they can be brutal indoors. 
    No, I had the vent going strong.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 395
    Beef Short Ribs with mashed potatoes, gravy and grilled asparagus.
    My first attempt at this cut and would probably incorporate a liquid braise for more tenderness next time. I pulled at 205 but found the bark a little chewy.
    Worthy of another attempt for sure!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    keener75 said:
    Beef Short Ribs with mashed potatoes, gravy and grilled asparagus.
    My first attempt at this cut and would probably incorporate a liquid braise for more tenderness next time. I pulled at 205 but found the bark a little chewy.
    Worthy of another attempt for sure!
    With that much fat in the meat I doubt a braise is necessary. What method did you use?  Looks amazing by the way.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    keener75 said:
    Damn near looks like Wagyu flanken; beautiful cut!  
    I use a lot of flanken; because of a good number of Korean spouses in the Air Force, the Commissary almost always has it available.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446

Looks great, any brine info to share? 
    Jacksonville FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,974
    Dobie said:

Looks great, any brine info to share? 
    The brine is very basic.  1 gallon water, 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup of sugar.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,480
    Yep-the standard 16:1 ratio water to salt and then add the flavour (nod) enhancements.  Can't go wrong with that as the base line. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 395
    edited June 2023
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,945
    lousubcap said:
    Yep-the standard 16:1 ratio water to salt and then add the flavour (nod) enhancements.  Can't go wrong with that as the base line. 
    Noted
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Grogu
    Grogu Posts: 125
    Brown sugar pork loin. I’ve been getting into using the upper level of the eggspander to create some space from the flames when I still want some direct coal exposure, but I’m a little nervous about direct heat exposure and possible flare ups like with this pretty heavily sugar coated pork loin.

• Acn said:

Spicy cumin beef noodles
    Looking for something different for dinner these days.  Been stuck in a rut.  Details?
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,442
    Acn said:

Spicy cumin beef noodles
    Looking for something different for dinner these days.  Been stuck in a rut.  Details?
    Sure, it is super easy. 

You'll need:

9 oz wide, flat pasta.  This was tagliatelle, I've also used fettuccine.
    1 lb flat iron steak, sliced against the grain
    4 tsp cumin seed, lightly crushed
    3T chili-garlic sauce
    2T soy sauce
    2T black vinegar (can use balsamic if needed)

Cook the pasta. 
    Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water.  Whisk in 1T neutral oil, chili-garlic sauce, soy sauce, and vinegar. 
    Sautee the steak with the cumin seed, 1/2 tsp pepper, pinch of salt.  When the steak is no longer pink, drop in the cooked pasta and sauce, stir/toss to combine.  Add more salt or pepper to taste.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn said:
    Acn said:

Spicy cumin beef noodles
    Sure, it is super easy. 

You'll need:

9 oz wide, flat pasta.  This was tagliatelle, I've also used fettuccine.
    1 lb flat iron steak, sliced against the grain
    4 tsp cumin seed, lightly crushed
    3T chili-garlic sauce
    2T soy sauce
    2T black vinegar (can use balsamic if needed)

Cook the pasta. 
    Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water.  Whisk in 1T neutral oil, chili-garlic sauce, soy sauce, and vinegar. 
    Sautee the steak with the cumin seed, 1/2 tsp pepper, pinch of salt.  When the steak is no longer pink, drop in the cooked pasta and sauce, stir/toss to combine.  Add more salt or pepper to taste.

Thanks!  I will be making this soon.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    ksmyrl said:
    Sister in law is having breast cancer surgery...at 42 years old no less. When we asked her kids what they wanted for dinner they both said "Uncle Kevo's drum sticks". It's the very least I can do at this moment. 

Rubbed w Southern Soul Dust and cooked raised direct. 
    Sorry to hear that, F cancer. Wishing her well, and smart kids by the way.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,480
    ksmyrl said:
    Sister in law is having breast cancer surgery...at 42 years old no less. When we asked her kids what they wanted for dinner they both said "Uncle Kevo's drum sticks". It's the very least I can do at this moment. 

Rubbed w Southern Soul Dust and cooked raised direct. 

Tough news but early and aggressive action can be a game changer.  Take no prisoners and be sure they ask the hard questions of her medical team.
    Great looking sticks right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    For a couple years now I've been trying to find a reliable way to make mexican rice in a rice cooker.  Nothing's really worked, either the tomato portion rises just to the top, or scorches on the bottom, or the rice isn't right.  
    Then saw this at the mexican market, and the wheels started turning:

I tried it out today, made a single serving of  rice:

(Ignore the fact that I made mexican rice with a chinese stir-fry, I was anxious to try it out).  Not... bad, but not very tasty either.  I thought about trying double the amount next time, but looked at the label and the first two ingredients were salt and MSG, and a single serving was 37% (!) of the USDA-recommended daily salt intake.  
    Read thru the rest of the ingredients (citric acid, tomato powder, chicken fat (?), and then a bunch of things I can't pronounce).  Off to amazoid now to see if they sell tomato powder in less than a 5-gal bucket.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'