Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    edited August 28
    Never owned a paring knife before.  Picked this guy up for $3.68.

So much faster than using my longer blades knifes for breaking down fruit!

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,628
    Never owned a paring knife before.  Picked this guy up for $3.68.

So much faster than using my longer blades knifes for breaking down fruit!
    pics or it didn't happen
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ozzie_Isaac

Completely forgot the most important part!   The photo.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    Brewing beer. 1st step towards fall harvest.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Completely forgot the most important part!   The photo.
    I’m probably doing it wrong, but I don’t really get paring knives. What I find hard about them is that a pinch grip makes it hard to get the blade to make full contact with the board. If you fully grip the handle, the issue is the same. Using an 8-ish inch chef knife, I’ve never said to myself that I wished I had something smaller. I am probably missing something. What say you?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    Having fun on a Wednesday night- TWSS.
    Paring knives for tomorrow. =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,680

I’m probably doing it wrong, but I don’t really get paring knives. What I find hard about them is that a pinch grip makes it hard to get the blade to make full contact with the board. If you fully grip the handle, the issue is the same. Using an 8-ish inch chef knife, I’ve never said to myself that I wished I had something smaller. I am probably missing something. What say you?
    A paring knife doesn’t make contact with the board. 
    Check out this video. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    GrateEggspectations said:
    This was my planned second career for many years, start a knife company that made engineering sense.  

Building a knife that is ergonomically balanced, wrt weight, makes perfect sense.  But putting different-sized handles on a set of knives, makes no sense!  Your hand size doesn't change when you grab different knives, so why should the handle?!?
    My custom, to-order knife line would have four different handle choices: RH Regular, RH Large, LH Regular, and LH Large.  The handles would not be symmetrical, but designed to fit either the right or the left hand perfectly, and two sizes to fit different-sized hands.  The smaller knives would have hollows molded into their handles, so the weight balance would still be there.    

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Ozzie_Isaac

I don’t use it against the board.  I use this for prepping veggies and fruit in my hand.  Coring, peeling, etc.  switch to chef knife for slicing on the board.

• So I knew they get used in hand - my M-I-L does this all the time. But I also see them get used on the board. Is that incorrect?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    So I knew they get used in hand - my M-I-L does this all the time. But I also see them get used on the board. Is that incorrect?
    My personal belief, is there is no incorrect way to use a tool if it gets the job done. (Except using a wood rasp on metal.  That is incorrect)

• Botch
    So I knew they get used in hand - my M-I-L does this all the time. But I also see them get used on the board. Is that incorrect?
    If I'm thinly-slicing garlic I'll sometimes use my parer on the board, but if my chef's is already dirty I'll use that too.  My parer is a necessity for cutting apples, a daily thing for me.  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    i let dad used the pairing knife, other than that.....he would cut his hand off.

i guess this would be my paring knife, i use this heavy modified butcher knife for pretty much most things but do grab an old stiff fillet knife now and again.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

• rotting table, sinking paver

meet

crouching tiger, hidden dragon

https://www.rokhardware.com/extra-heavy-duty-floor-lifting-levelers.html

accept your opponent.  a duel for the ages.  

accompanying overdub will be barley and hops fueled outlaw country. 60% word accuracy 100% heart. 

• Can’t help but wonder if this is related to @lousubcap’s brisket reheating advice. Though I feel like size may be too tight. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    Taylor Made Qi10 Max
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    edited August 30

Can’t help but wonder if this is related to @lousubcap’s brisket reheating advice. Though I feel like size may be too tight. 
    Haha. You know the only way I cook brisket is MSM... mummified with giant cling film to cure/marinate, once smoked it's wrapped again for a day or two before the 4-hr steam for service. Occasionally I smoke extra for freezing, still have a good supply of wider FS rolls for that, sometimes have to shave off a tad even after shrinkage but it's manageable.  

It's actually somewhat similar to @lousubcap's way to reheat with precise service time.

Edit: btw, no way I'm smoking 1000 briskets, lol
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    @kl8ton still on first page.
    canuckland
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    @kl8ton still on first page.
    I swear I did not see it. I looked three times.  Then I used the search function.  It would not bring up this thread. It has been a long weekend.. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,604
    I haven’t bought this just yet, looking for a better deal than $35 plus tax. But I imagine that I will before long.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,604
    $19.99 on Amazon. Bought! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Makeup Brushes.

Wife complained that daughter kept using her makeup brushes.  So I ordered 3 full brand new sets.  1 for the wife, 1 for the daughter, and a backup because this isn’t my first rodeo.

My daughter totally outsmarted me today. I had left the brushes on the coffee table, and when my wife asked if hers had arrived, I went to grab them—only to find they were all gone! I turned the house upside down looking for them. Finally, I asked my daughter if she had seen them. She casually said, ‘Oh, the ones on the coffee table? Yeah, I thought you got them for me.’

My response was, ‘I did! I got each of you a set and a backup. So, where are they?’ (They come in boxes.)

Her reply? ‘Oh, I thought they were all mine, so I opened them and used them already.’

That was enough brushes to last six months!

• Makeup Brushes.

Wife complained that daughter kept using her makeup brushes.  So I ordered 3 full brand new sets.  1 for the wife, 1 for the daughter, and a backup because this isn’t my first rodeo.

My daughter totally outsmarted me today. I had left the brushes on the coffee table, and when my wife asked if hers had arrived, I went to grab them—only to find they were all gone! I turned the house upside down looking for them. Finally, I asked my daughter if she had seen them. She casually said, ‘Oh, the ones on the coffee table? Yeah, I thought you got them for me.’

My response was, ‘I did! I got each of you a set and a backup. So, where are they?’ (They come in boxes.)

Her reply? ‘Oh, I thought they were all mine, so I opened them and used them already.’

That was enough brushes to last six months!
    Bought some for my wife early this year. Dang, they can be spendy! Luckily, daughter is not there yet.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,800
    edited September 6
    You are living on the edge if you are buying your wife make-up and related accessories. 
    Been buying my wife clothing and such as long as I’ve known her and I’m still above ground. 🙂
  • Canugghead
    I don't even buy my own clothing, just sayin'
    canuckland
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,442
    Not buying anything yet, but starting to formulate Xmas lists for SWMBO, SWMBO Jr, my parents, and in-laws. 

Will actually go shopping at Costco, Wegmans, and the local pho spot later this afternoon.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181
    bought myself one of those wooden handled BGE forked grill scraper. did cheese burgers for Jimmy Buffet day and the grill was a mess the next morning. This should solve that the next time it happens. Dunno why they make the things 37 feet long, barely fits in my bucket-o-stuff.
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • Botch
    Acn said:
    Not buying anything yet, but starting to formulate Xmas lists for SWMBO, SWMBO Jr, my parents, and in-laws. 

Will actually go shopping at Costco, Wegmans, and the local pho spot later this afternoon.
    Nothing says Christmas Cheer like opening up a lukewarm bowl of phò under the tree.   =)