Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    edited December 2023
    Hedley & Bennett essential apron in Earl Gray.   Simple but have been wanting something for a while.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    4 bone bone on Prime Grade Prime Rib. The salting will begin tomorrow morning for a Monday cook. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    Went to 4 stores to find a rib roast. Last store finally had one.

Although I scored this loin for $4.97/lb.  Butcher said they were out of rib roasts and they needed something to put out for people.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,486
    @Ozzie_Isaac - You do know Christmas Day is always December 25th. Thus you could have grabbed one earlier and avoided the chase/hassle...Just sayin' =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim
    Went to 4 stores to find a rib roast. Last store finally had one.

Although I scored this loin for $4.97/lb.  Butcher said they were out of rib roasts and they needed something to put out for people.

At least you ‘saved’ $135!     Great Googley Moogley.  

I gave $3.39/lb at HEB earlier this week for a 3 bone rib roast.   Guaranteed I didn’t save anywhere near that
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,486
    Leg of lamb for Christmas. I cut slits all over the lamb and stuff with garlic, anchovies and rosemary, then make a paste of butter and anchovies and smear all over. Slow roast with all the trimmings 😋

I am gonna enjoy following this.  Lamb, garlic and anchovies-a gastronomic hat trick. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944

@Ozzie_Isaac  - I had forgotten how tight this cabinet was. Had to remove the glass door and hardware to get the old TEAC deck out and the new TASCAM in. Also had a grounding error on the left Bose speaker. May need to upgrade speakers but this is a small listening room so I don't need to go way overboard with high end speakers. 

Listening to an old Moody Blues cassette which sounds pretty good to my old ears. The deck transport mechanism really is a devoid of all the bells and whistles of earlier models. Manual eject, flip sides, reinsert and push play on the remote. The remote doesn't have an eject button but I am used to that with turntables so no real problems. Need to get up and move around more.

Listening to a tape I recorded long ago from an FM Rock station in Orlando (WDIZ) back when they used to do a cool thing on New Year's Eve after 12:00. You had to have good quality, long cassettes because they would announce the LP title/band and play entire albums without talking, giving you time to flip the cassette around for the B side of the album. They weren't great quality but you could listen to them and decide if you wanted to buy the LP later.

Next adventure will be recording the same source to two tapes. Need to get some good metal tapes for that. Also need to get another USB cable since I stole the one from the Sony BlueRay DVD. Time to read the manual.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    Choice Ribeye was on sale here for 9.99/ pound.....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    I don't know how long this has been available, but I haven't been so excited to get a bluray in years! I looked for something similar years ago, and all Amazoid had was a VHS tape with, like, three episodes: $185.

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    I don't know how long this has been available, but I haven't been so excited to get a bluray in years! I looked for something similar years ago, and all Amazoid had was a VHS tape with, like, three episodes: $185.

Loved Johnny Quest!  Going to see if I can stream it somewhere.

• Botch
    I read that you can stream it off youtube for a fee; decided this one's a keeper.  

• fishlessman
    Botch said:

Had a good friend in college, hari, his nickname in school was hadji....had dinner at his house and mom found out, didn't go over to well. His name was hari, found out that day his first name was Krishna. Hadji was a major insult and even hari did not know. He was special k after that.

Probably saw every episode growing up
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    fishlessman said:
    Had a good friend in college, hari, his nickname in school was hadji....had dinner at his house and mom found out, didn't go over to well. Hadji was a major insult and even hari did not know. 
     :o  I did not know that, either!  Wonder if someone at Hannah-Barbera knew... 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:
    Had a good friend in college, hari, his nickname in school was hadji....had dinner at his house and mom found out, didn't go over to well. Hadji was a major insult and even hari did not know. 
     :o  I did not know that, either!  Wonder if someone at Hannah-Barbera knew... 
    A quick Reddit post review says Hadji is a slang term for Muslim, which can be derogatory based on context.

Also interesting, because I am pretty sure Hadji from JQ is Indian and a I would venture to guess Hindu.

• Botch
    Ozzie_Isaac said:Also interesting, because I am pretty sure Hadji from JQ is Indian and a I would venture to guess Hindu.
    Hadji was introduced in the (Calcutta?) episode so very definitely Indian, but isn't that headwear Sikh?  

• Botch said:

Had a good friend in college, hari, his nickname in school was hadji....had dinner at his house and mom found out, didn't go over to well. His name was hari, found out that day his first name was Krishna. Hadji was a major insult and even hari did not know. He was special k after that.

I went to college and never put it together that my friend’s name was Hari Krishna.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    Ozzie_Isaac said:Also interesting, because I am pretty sure Hadji from JQ is Indian and a I would venture to guess Hindu.
    Hadji was introduced in the (Calcutta?) episode so very definitely Indian, but isn't that headwear Sikh?  
    I believe turbans are not relegated to only Sikh, but I may be wrong.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Choice Ribeye was on sale here for 9.99/ pound.....
    Choice Ribeye bone in loin has been on sale at Publix for a couple of weeks for $6.99/Lb. I have picked up a couple of them. They are no better or worse than Publix standard bone in Ribeye's. USDA Choice has a high degree of variation from high end choice to the bottom. Publix seems to always be at the lower end of the grade. For $6.99/Lb I can learn to enjoy it. I have about 20 Pounds of it in the fridge.

• TechsasJim
    Titleist 4i utility iron.   Not a fan of hybrids and need to fill a 215/220 gap.   
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    Titleist 4i utility iron.   Not a fan of hybrids and need to fill a 215/220 gap.   
    Swing harder
  • fishlessman
    Botch said:

I went to college and never put it together that my friend’s name was Hari Krishna.
    sorry, but krishna hari ....was his name. the krishna was silent.   the family was from india.

fukahwee maine

• TechsasJim
    ColbyLang said:
    Swing harder
    hahaha, nope.   Tempo
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:
    Swing harder
    hahaha, nope.   Tempo
    I currently have a 10-300 gap.

• KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262

Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • GregW
    I can't buy it yet, because it's not yet available, but I'm on the stock notification list
    Weber 26 inch Master-Touch Kettle
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/charcoal/original-kettle/master-touch-26-charcoal-grill/1500065.html

I've always wanted a Weber Kettle. I will sunset my PK Original grill when the Weber arrives.
    Master-Touch Charcoal Grill 26 image number 0
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    GregW said:
    I can't buy it yet, because it's not yet available, but I'm on the stock notification list
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/charcoal/original-kettle/master-touch-26-charcoal-grill/1500065.html

I've always wanted a Weber Kettle. I will sunset my PK Original grill when the Weber arrives.
    That is cool!  I really like their 70th Anniversary Kettle Collection.  I saw one in person and loved the details.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,803
    GregW said:

I’ve often thought about getting a PK. What makes you want to “sunset” it?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    GregW said:

On a different forum a month ago word straight from a Weber rep was that they were discontinuing production of the 26" kettle for at least the 2024 period. 

It was not clear if there were any 26 inch-ers in the pipeline to finish up 2023. 

Hopefully they did do a run and will be sending them out soon. Fingers-crossed! :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW

@shtgunal3- The PK Original is a disappointing grill for me. 

(1) The cooking grate is level with the grill body edge- It's really easy to roll food off to the ground
    (2)  I have upgraded too the stainless cooking grate- The sob still rust.
    (3) The cooking is a lot smaller than you might imagine- If you are doing a two zone- hot/cold steak cook- there really isn't much room when you divide the surface in half
    (4) Unless I remove the lid and carry the base out into the yard- it's somewhat difficult to clean the ashes out.
    (5) The lower air vents allow ashes to drop out onto the bottom cart shelf- it's a bit messy.

One the positive side- at least for the old 15 year old PK that I have- it's made in the USA- the same is not true for the new grills. The PK 360 is imported. The 360 may be a fine grill- but it is not that much bigger than the Original. When I bought the PK years ago, there was somewhat of a mystique about them- they had a good storyline about being made in the USA- that storyline has long since been abandoned. I drank the PK cool aid- now it has a bitter Chinese aftertaste.