Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    Small ticket item but a huge difference maker for me. I decided to upgrade my 25 year old grater to a new Microplane model. I didn’t realize how dull my old grater was until I used this one. Fresh grated cheese is so much better than that bagged crap. 

My grater takes a ton of effort to use and I always wait to slip and take a knuckle off because I am forcing it so hard.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,689
    Small ticket item but a huge difference maker for me. I decided to upgrade my 25 year old grater to a new Microplane model. I didn’t realize how dull my old grater was until I used this one. Fresh grated cheese is so much better than that bagged crap. 

My grater takes a ton of effort to use and I always wait to slip and take a knuckle off because I am forcing it so hard.
    That’s exactly why I upgraded. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,592
    paqman said:
    Meta Quest 3, holly macaroni it is impressive!

My son has the Quest 2 ... it's pretty freaky.  Just need to have a big enough space to walk around in though ...
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,743

I’ve had bad luck with all microplane « accessories ».   The plastic around the metal grate tends to crack.  The one you have appears sturdier than previous models, maybe they got it figured out now… 

I love the « regular » (I don’t know what to call them) microplanes, the ones with just a narrow metal grate attached to a silicone handle.  Those ones are lasting way longer than I was expecting them to.

I am looking at their new spice grater to replace my broken nutmeg grater.

paqman said:

I’ve had bad luck with all microplane « accessories ».   The plastic around the metal grate tends to crack.  The one you have appears sturdier than previous models, maybe they got it figured out now… 

I love the « regular » (I don’t know what to call them) microplanes, the ones with just a narrow metal grate attached to a silicone handle.  Those ones are lasting way longer than I was expecting them to.

You may want to consider the Microplane Pro line then. They're very solid. I've got a few in various cutter types and they still seem pretty sharp but now I'm thinking I should buy a new one just to compare with all of mine which are now about 15 years old.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,689
    paqman said:

The back comes off of it so it’s really easy to clean. This one won’t ever see a dishwasher so hopefully the plastic will hold up better.  

I learned today that graters are not lifetime purchases. If this one craps out, I’ll find another one. 
  • Small ticket item but a huge difference maker for me. I decided to upgrade my 25 year old grater to a new Microplane model. I didn’t realize how dull my old grater was until I used this one. Fresh grated cheese is so much better than that bagged crap. 

But where will you get your daily intake of cellulose?

I also like the long design microplanes, as they’re super handy for grating directly into a pot during cooking.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    HeavyG said:
    paqman said:

You may want to consider the Microplane Pro line then. They're very solid. I've got a few in various cutter types and they still seem pretty sharp but now I'm thinking I should buy a new one just to compare with all of mine which are now about 15 years old.

Another option is to search for "Microplane" in the Tool/Woodworking section of your favorite online retailer (that's how they started), the blades are the same and the frames are not flimsy plastic (they can't be).  They may not arrive "food-safe", so just wash 'em first.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    edited January 13
    @Botch Learned something new, thanks!
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/search#q=microplane&t=product-search-tab&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=25
    ^^^tempted to buy the extra-coarse paddle grater recommended for soft cheese, better price than amazoid. My current go to for soft cheese is this vintage Swiss made STOCKLI, wondering if the Microplane is at least as coarse and works better.

canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Why oh why am I headed down a micro planing rabbit hole!?  This forum should have a warning.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    @Botch Learned something new, thanks!
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/search#q=microplane&t=product-search-tab&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=25
    ^^^tempted to buy the extra-coarse paddle grater recommended for soft cheese, better price than amazoid. My current go to for soft cheese is this vintage Swiss made STOCKLI, wondering if the Microplane is at least as coarse and works better.

This pix shows the various "Pro" graters. The extra coarse is just $3 more than the plastic-y version on LeeValley. Prices may vary north of the border.

The "Pro" versions also come with a snap/slide on plastic cover which is good to have if you just toss these in a drawer like  I do.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    @HeavyG
    Currently our price is better

However, it didn't take long to find these not so good reviews, the plastic piece inside the handle doesn't look good, not sure if the handle design has changed/improved.

canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Well, I have four of the five in that pix (don't have the shaver - the one on the bottom of the pix) and have yet to break anything. I guess it's all in the wrist or something. :)

• Canugghead
    edited January 13
    @HeavyG I suspect there was no hidden plastic or better plastic/consstruction 15 years ago? The reviews overall are excellent except for the handle, tempted to take my chances.

canuckland
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Kuiu duffel bag that also has backpack straps.   Old REI duffel I use monthly starting to delaminate.  Has been a great bag for 15~ years.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 469
    Just booked our trip to Cabot Cape Breton to play the Cliffs and the Links...2nd time there and its awesome!!!  Can't wait!!!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• TechsasJim
    Just booked our trip to Cabot Cape Breton to play the Cliffs and the Links...2nd time there and its awesome!!!  Can't wait!!!!!
    Love that you're from Pinehurst and geeked up for a Canadian golf trip.   I've heard great things about those courses!

We have a very quick guys trip to play in the Texas Hill Country this spring (no where near the same quality of courses) but I'm pumped...likely more for the shenanigans than golf...but golf will be had.
  • bradleya123
    edited January 18
    Love that you're from Pinehurst and geeked up for a Canadian golf trip.   I've heard great things about those courses!

We have a very quick guys trip to play in the Texas Hill Country this spring (no where near the same quality of courses) but I'm pumped...likely more for the shenanigans than golf...but golf will be had.
    Shenanigans on guys golf trips is mandatory, yes?  Our golf trip up to Michigan every year is awesome, great golf with great friends!  We've calmed down quite bit these days but fun is always had!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• TechsasJim
    Hedley & Bennet chefs towels.    Thinking my wife bogarted my BGE towels—down to 1
  • TechsasJim
    Oh boy, just bought a new Titleist driver (TSR2) today then got home from golf to find my wife fighting with the washing machine (well a dead machine)—so I’m off to get a new one tomorrow.    Always something…
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Oh boy, just bought a new Titleist driver (TSR2) today then got home from golf to find my wife fighting with the washing machine (well a dead machine)—so I’m off to get a new one tomorrow.    Always something…
    Sir, you have a golfing problem. 😂

• TechsasJim
    That’s a fact.   I could have bought a new washing machine (and had $ leftover) for what I gave for the driver.   

🤦‍♂️
  • bradleya123
    That’s a fact.   I could have bought a new washing machine (and had $ leftover) for what I gave for the driver.   

🤦‍♂️
    What fun is that?  How you hitting that driver?  I'm looking for a new one myself!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    Personally waiting for new Ping, Callaway and Titelist to all be available for my fitting. Swinging a Ping G410 currently. Don’t like the 420 or the 425’s sound. Also, no noticeable difference to my 410
  • TechsasJim
    @bradleya123
    too cold, windy yesterday to get a true feel.  I had a TSi2 prior to that so shouldn’t be too different just a few yards longer but has a nice sound to it (3 wood is a TSr2 as well and folks love the sound).  

@ColbyLang
    I haven’t enjoy Ping since they went to the 400 series.   The G and G30 were so hot but I cracked the face on both and Ping gave me a G400 to replace and it lacked distance.   Moved back to Titleist to match the rest of the clubs.   

• TechsasJim
    More Yeti bar/drinkware.  
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    I guess MANY Nate Bargatze tickets based on the credit card alert I was texted!  Hopefully 20 tix were purchased for that price? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 26
    kl8ton said:
    I guess MANY Nate Bargatze tickets based on the credit card alert I was texted!  Hopefully 20 tix were purchased for that price? 
    Nice!!  I love Nate Bargatze, hope you enjoy the show.  You should hire him for your Campground.  Sometimes if you find a comedian playing near by you can hire them for another event for pretty cheap. Especially if it fits within their current travel plans.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    So he’s coming here as well. I’m not paying $150 a head to go see ole Nate
  • TechsasJim
    Replacement turn signal/wiper stick for the F-150.   Weird how they just “go out” and the wiper mode stays engaged.   Cheap fix for an annoying problem.