Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    Don’t know just yet. I just came back to a completely defrost freezer and warm refrigerator. So I guess even if I can get it running everything in it has to be tossed. 21 years old but the timing could be better. Merry fricken Christmas.
    Awe, dang!  Sorry man, that sucks.
    I have the ice maker and freezer working again. The refrigerator part seems to warm still. Of course everything is going to have to be tossed refrozen or not including dried peppers that I had saved over several years.

most i might do with the dried peppers is put them in a warm oven and go from there. mine are in a food closet and the hot ones stay hot for years and years
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • @Gulfcoastguy

I feel your pain. Hope you didn’t have too much meat in there. 
  • @Gulfcoastguy

No and a lot of stuff in there needed to be cleaned out anyhow. The timing could be better if I have to go refrigerator shopping but 21 years is a reasonable life span for a fridge. 
  • @Gulfcoastguy

No and a lot of stuff in there needed to be cleaned out anyhow. The timing could be better if I have to go refrigerator shopping but 21 years is a reasonable life span for a fridge. 
    Until recently, we had an exceptionally-old fridge. It was making awful noises, and while I wanted to ride it out and see how far we could take it, others in my household ruined the fun and insisted upon proactive replacement. 

I was in it for the thrill. 

• fishlessman
    @Gulfcoastguy

the expectation is 12 years nowadays.......not counting a working ice maker ;) sometimes its something simple like the vent between fridge and freezer getting clogged or blocked
    fukahwee maine

• Well I will look for the vent when I start cleaning out the unit to night. The ice maker is working and the freezer has refrozen all of its contents now.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    Well I will look for the vent when I start cleaning out the unit to night. The ice maker is working and the freezer has refrozen all of its contents now.
    My 3 year old fridge had a fan between the icebox and the fridge go bad. It struggled yo maintain temp, then a bunch of areas froze up.  Replaced the fan and all is right now.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,486
    I'm in the game of trying to experience @fishlessman 's fridge life-time ( which I don't recall but well north of 25 + years) which is where I am now.
    When that rig goes south there is a bail out plan but only if I catch it in time. Basement dweller and fortunately no kids still around.
    There are a few SRF, Oak Barn and Porter Road cuts in there so this has some $$ impact.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stopped by the grocery store to get some veggies and they had pork shoulder for .99/lb. I picked up 4. I should be good for 2024 as I already had 2 in the freezer 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    I think I posted earlier (mebbe on this thread?) about buying a $200 part to resuscitate my 28-yr-old Frigidaire.  It's been running fine since then, and I'm hoping for another 28.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    Well I will look for the vent when I start cleaning out the unit to night. The ice maker is working and the freezer has refrozen all of its contents now.
    My 3 year old fridge had a fan between the icebox and the fridge go bad. It struggled yo maintain temp, then a bunch of areas froze up.  Replaced the fan and all is right now.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2638239#Comment_2638239
    canuckland
  • Yes this one is a Kenmore and Sears is no more. Update : the freezer is working fine and the fridge is cool if maybe not quite as cool as possible. I will toss all that was in it and see if it will make it to mid spring. I looked at Lowes today and couldn’t find anything that I wanted. Either too big and expensive or too plain and cheap looking. There are 3 grocery stores within a mile of me so I don’t keep much on hand.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,322
    @Gulfcoastguy - If your fridge has coils on the back, can't hurt to check if they are clean
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • dbCooper said:
    @Gulfcoastguy - If your fridge has coils on the back, can't hurt to check if they are clean
    Thanks, I will rig up the Dyson tomorrow.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    That was probably the subconscious knowledge I used to even know to search for info on a fridge fan!

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    That was probably the subconscious knowledge I used to even know to search for info on a fridge fan!
    Just remembered this, may have posted it before ... Fast forward several years, the new fridge that replaced it frosted up and developed the same symptoms. It was still under warranty so I called for service. The guy did some tests and said he needs to order a new fan. While waiting I emptied the fridge and let it thaw out, fired it up the next day and it worked like a charm! I didn't bother updating them and he came back more than a week later IIRC. I told him to just leave the fan with me and go away! Win-win for both of us.

Now I have this in my back pocket...

canuckland
  • fishlessman
    lousubcap said:
    I'm in the game of trying to experience @fishlessman 's fridge life-time ( which I don't recall but well north of 25 + years) which is where I am now.
    When that rig goes south there is a bail out plan but only if I catch it in time. Basement dweller and fortunately no kids still around.
    There are a few SRF, Oak Barn and Porter Road cuts in there so this has some $$ impact.  B)

house and camp are coming up on about 50 years, shop fridge is a 1939/1940 GE, so about 85 years.  I dont think any of those ever have been worked on except a new door gasket on the 1939. thawing out the ge is a bit of a pain, twice a year, but if i had room for it at camp i would send it over to the autobody shop for a nice paint job
    fukahwee maine

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,629
    About to do something that I said I'd never do..

but at 114mpg and my new commute, its going to happen.

2024 Toyota Prius Prime Costs 325 More For A Few New Features  Carscoops
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    billt01 said:

Just do us a favor and stay out of the left lane.  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    I do have to admit that they are a sharp looking car compared to their older sibling. It's should be a great car for commuting. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    edited December 2023
    billt01 said:

never realized they got that kinda mileage, 6 times what i get out of my cinder block. you could always do a pickup conversion on the back ;)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    going broke buying stuff for the new pup tomorrow. new crate, food, bowl, a rope and a few extra things. i dont remember this costing so much with the last couple of pups.....havent even looked at the hunting stuff yet =)
    fukahwee maine

• going broke buying stuff for the new pup tomorrow. new crate, food, bowl, a rope and a few extra things. i dont remember this costing so much with the last couple of pups.....havent even looked at the hunting stuff yet =)
    Are your other dogs wondering wtf is going on?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• going broke buying stuff for the new pup tomorrow. new crate, food, bowl, a rope and a few extra things. i dont remember this costing so much with the last couple of pups.....havent even looked at the hunting stuff yet =)
    Are your other dogs wondering wtf is going on?
    Or do they think Christmas came early?
  • fishlessman
    its amazing that they know somethings up, been behaving too clingy the last week. have had three different neighbor pups over the last few weeks, been good with them. should go smoothly once he thinks he is the boss....being ruled by the pup =)
    fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,200
    Botch said:
    I often have a glass of Clamato with breakfast in the mornings.  I accidentally picked up this "Picante" version at the Commissary last week, and it's absolutely addictive.  Must be fairly new, my other two grocers don't carry it yet.  

I wonder how it differs from this one that's available here? Funny they never show a clam on their labels.
    I do find even the regular Clamato bought in the US tastes better than the stuff in Canada. The recipe is definitely different
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,592
    We had previously picked up bottles of this Thunder Bay, Ontario-made hot sauce from the grocery store shelves, but now spotted it on the Costco website. Was just delivered this variety pack. Some neat flavour combos.

Available here: https://www.costco.ca/heartbeat-hot-sauce-super-variety-pack,-8-×-177-ml.product.100822379.html
    I've recently gotten into this stuff. It's pretty good, my go to is red habanero.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • We had previously picked up bottles of this Thunder Bay, Ontario-made hot sauce from the grocery store shelves, but now spotted it on the Costco website. Was just delivered this variety pack. Some neat flavour combos.

Available here: https://www.costco.ca/heartbeat-hot-sauce-super-variety-pack,-8-×-177-ml.product.100822379.html
    I've recently gotten into this stuff. It's pretty good, my go to is red habanero.
    Some of the flavours look pretty great. And at a rating of mild to medium (no face-melters), I feel like this is an assortment that just about anyone can enjoy.