Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Convince me why I need to get a sous vide anyone, anyone?
    Creme brûlée and pots de creme
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Reheating Brisket / Pulled pork- Easy
    Shrimp are fantastic from Sous Vide
    Duck Eggs are wonderful
    Defrosting frozen meat is fast
    Chicken Breasts are very good done this way.

Those are what I have used mine for, I don't use it often, but I am glad I have it.  Sorta like the pipe wrench in my toolbox.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Two words: chocolate pots.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Surprised he didn't already have one - I guess Costco doesn't sell any of them. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    The list is looking long and only limited by your imagination.

I use my sous vide all the time.  My favorite is duroc pork chops.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Even though I’m not really that gadget-y leaning, it’s been a great addition for us And I’d buy another if my current one broke. My vote is to get a vac sealer, torch and old cooler for doctoring as well. Gives you lots of options. And if you host often, as we do, SV is a great, reliable friend. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options

I’d like to hear more about these chops

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

I’d like to hear more about these chops
    Duroc is a pretty decent heritage breed.  Easier to find than Kurobuta.

It has a ton of flavor.  I like to get the thickest one I can 1.5+".  I use Gibson Steak seasoning, then sous vide at 137 deg for 4hrs or more.

I then use my grill gun to sear them, finish off by melting butter over them with the torch.  Slice on the cutting board and add some more steak seasoning and serve family style.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options

Keep us posted on this.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    It looks like it's ground up green coffee bean powder.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:
    Reminds me of fen-phen.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Legume said:
    Reminds me of fen-phen.
    That fad caused a lot of problems.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Reminds me of fen-phen.
    Only if you are concerned about your heart valves.

The lack of regulation for these types of products is mind blowing.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    One of my quality techs has a 93 year old mother in law.  She just had a heart valve replaced through her leg!  Out of the hospital in less than 24 hours.  Not long ago, she wouldn't have been able to have that surgery at 93.

I was in the hospital longer than that for a kidney stone removal.  Go for it!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Reminds me of fen-phen.
    Only if you are concerned about your heart valves.

The lack of regulation for these types of products is mind blowing.
    Why is it mind blowing?  A significant portion of America doesn’t want regulation on anything, and another significant portion thinks the FDA is a school for big pharma.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,657
    Options
    Just ordered Starlink.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Just ordered Starlink.
    For the tractor?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Just ordered Starlink.
    For the tractor?

swmbo works from home now permanently.  We tried the locals, att, now on Tmobile and it seems to be the best but she still has to tether to her phone all the time.  Hopefully this will be the solution to dropped calls etc.  Not as worried about upload download speeds as much as having a consistent connection.  Also I am a little concerned about how this thing will handle wind.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Just ordered Starlink.
    For the tractor?

swmbo works from home now permanently.  We tried the locals, att, now on Tmobile and it seems to be the best but she still has to tether to her phone all the time.  Hopefully this will be the solution to dropped calls etc.  Not as worried about upload download speeds as much as having a consistent connection.  Also I am a little concerned about how this thing will handle wind.
    We have several guests that use this service.  Although, theirs may be a "portable version" as they just set these "dish/platters" on the ground.  What they don't stand up to is my FIL mowing over the cord that connects the dish to the equipment.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    Just ordered Starlink.
    For the tractor?

We have several guests that use this service.  Although, theirs may be a "portable version" as they just set these "dish/platters" on the ground.  What they don't stand up to is my FIL mowing over the cord that connects the dish to the equipment.
    I think it is portable, they had a carrying case available.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Which is interesting because I tried to move my att receiver one time and they told me it was illegal and a fcc violation to not have the internet equipment at the address listed and they could tell and I would be in big trouble lol.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Acn
    Options
    New water heater…

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• kl8ton
    Options
    Acn said:
    New water heater…
    I am looking to get one....what did you go with?

We have a new bedroom going in downstairs and it sits between the water heater and the sump pump.  My buddy has the exact heater I have and his just started leaking.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Acn
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Acn said:
    New water heater…

We have a new bedroom going in downstairs and it sits between the water heater and the sump pump.  My buddy has the exact heater I have and his just started leaking.
    Ended up going with a Rheem 40 gallon, which is just a new version of what was there when we bought the house.  It had started leaking Thursday night, so we had less time to fully compare all options, but if it gives us close to the 17+ years the other one did I’ll be quite happy.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Acn said:
    kl8ton said:
    Acn said:
    New water heater…

Ended up going with a Rheem 40 gallon, which is just a new version of what was there when we bought the house.  It had started leaking Thursday night, so we had less time to fully compare all options, but if it gives us close to the 17+ years the other one did I’ll be quite happy.
    Water heaters are not made like they used to be. Whatever the warranty duration is you can expect it to fail within 6 months either side of that. Then they amortized the remainder of the warranty and give you $50 off the next one you’ll buy. 🤦🏼‍♂️
  • tomtnc
    tomtnc Posts: 24
    Options
    Technivorm for the win every time!!  Ours is 20+ years old and as good and consistent as the first day. Congrats!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    GlennM said:
    Old one died

tomtnc said:
    Technivorm for the win every time!!  Ours is 20+ years old and as good and consistent as the first day. Congrats!
    What is that exactly?  I am assuming coffee of some sort.  Things that complicated only make coffee or enriched uranium.