Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Everyone put their cars away.  Plows are back out.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I love the look of that house. Any chance there are photos on zillow?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I love the look of that house. Any chance there are photos on zillow?
    I know. It’s beautiful. One of the neighbours places was recently up for sale for about $5M. It featured an indoor skatepark and a deep, deep backyard backing onto the river.  Truly a gem of a spot. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    It's going to be interesting to watch how this all evolves.  I think we are still a ways away from fully autonomous vehicles being sufficiently robust.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I don't wish to lose the ability to "control" my vehicle. . . on the other hand, this new generation of drivers (my 16 year old son) who just want to get from point A to point B could legit benefit from this.  My son hasn't wrecked the car yet.  I had wrecked my first car quickly as I attempted a double car pass (front car was turning left with no signal).  The new drivers seem more timid/passive to generalize.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @klaton - you may dodge the young male driver virus that enables speeding tix and wrecks.  I have three data points (self and two sons) and all confirmed the virus did exist at least a little over a decade ago.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    I can just see you getting into one of these and getting dropped off unwillingly had a vaccination clinic. Or tax office 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I think it was taken from a jeep with a sticker that reads "If You Can Read This Flip Me Over".
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I can just see you getting into one of these and getting dropped off unwillingly had a vaccination clinic. Or tax office 
    Not in this country.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Not in this country.  
    Hyperbole? Yes, I think it exists here too.

Options
    I don't want to trust my car to a computer, but I think I'd feel better if all the cars around me were controlled by a computer.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Botch said:
    I don't want to trust my car to a computer, but I think I'd feel better if all the cars around me were controlled by a computer.  
    Exactly.  If computer controlled cars cut crashes and deaths per mile traveled by 90% - but not to zero - each of us will think that we don't want to give up control to a computer because we could die - and we KNOW we can drive better than the computer...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    As George Carlin once said, "Any computer driving slower than you is an idiot, and one driving faster than you is a maniac!"
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Botch said:
    Unless the computer was Hal.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Botch said:
    Exactly.  If computer controlled cars cut crashes and deaths per mile traveled by 90% - but not to zero - each of us will think that we don't want to give up control to a computer because we could die - and we KNOW we can drive better than the computer...

Not in this country.  

737 MAX. 
    A computer simply does not have any skin in the game
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Botch said:

Not in this country.  

737 MAX. 
    A computer simply does not have any skin in the game
    There was nothing wrong with that plane.  The pilots just didn't know how to turn the computer off.

In all seriousness there was just something on Netflix about the 737 and the plane crashes.  It's worth a watch if you are not familiar with a lot of the details about that plane and Boeing.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    You’d be surprised.  Large groups of vehicles operating under the same control algorithm occasionally get trapped in a corner of phase space that nobody wants to experience first hand.  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Was going to take a photo from the back, as I’m a sucker for a nice rear end, but my phone died right as I took the above photo. I wasn’t even sure I caught this one until I recharged. 

I am connecting with a friend of a friend this weekend who is currently shopping for an Enzo. He’s the same one I mentioned earlier in this thread. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Botch said:
    You’d be surprised.  Large groups of vehicles operating under the same control algorithm occasionally get trapped in a corner of phase space that nobody wants to experience first hand.  
    Oh, I have no doubt that software can't f*ck up on occasion (my car sometimes doesn't turn on the rear-view camera when I put it into Reverse, and sometimes doesn't roll my window up all the way when I close the door.  

I'm just saying I have more faith in software than the guy driving next to me on the Interstate, texting on his phone.  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited March 2022
    Options
    BMW iX.  Watch the first 60 seconds to catch that wild, wraparound computer screen (you EV wanna-haters will enjoy the 2nd half of the video, though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7H9VbWD_qg

When I get too old to crawl into my convertible and trade it and my Taco in for an SUV (fifteen years or so from now), I won't be buying this.  All touch-screen controls in a vehicle, for the driver, is a very bad idea.  

"Hey BMW, warm my butt-hole."   :D  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Pretty sure that soft-top is aftermarket. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options

Pretty sure that soft-top is aftermarket. 
    It is a very rare convertible Toyota mini-truck RV conversion.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    Oh, I have no doubt that software can't f*ck up on occasion (my car sometimes doesn't turn on the rear-view camera when I put it into Reverse, and sometimes doesn't roll my window up all the way when I close the door.  

I'm just saying I have more faith in software than the guy driving next to me on the Interstate, texting on his phone.  
    I can explain the window issue, backup camera is a guess.

A lot of the self driving piece is handled by machine learning/AI.  Challenging piece is that the the result of what the AI does is only predictable if it has “seen” the situation before, meaning very unique situations lead to unpredictable results.  AI code is is also not something you can just jump into and debug to add a new “if” statement to handle a situation.  

Teslas approach of collecting data is pretty slick to support their self driving development.  

Disclaimer: I’m not an expert on this topic, but have worked with folks that are, supporting some of their data collection and learning techniques.  Folks that are much smarter than me, but rely on folks that know the application to help them fill in all the corner conditions (or find new ones together).
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Botch said:
    Botch said:

I can explain the window issue, backup camera is a guess.

A lot of the self driving piece is handled by machine learning/AI.  Challenging piece is that the the result of what the AI does is only predictable if it has “seen” the situation before, meaning very unique situations lead to unpredictable results.  AI code is is also not something you can just jump into and debug to add a new “if” statement to handle a situation.  

Teslas approach of collecting data is pretty slick to support their self driving development.  

Disclaimer: I’m not an expert on this topic, but have worked with folks that are, supporting some of their data collection and learning techniques.  Folks that are much smarter than me, but rely on folks that know the application to help them fill in all the corner conditions (or find new ones together).
    You are wise.  I seem to remember when watching the Tesla videos on their AI that there is some human intervention on edge cases where you have shadows/reflections or other video artifacts that swings the AI or influences it somehow, but yeah, there's no adding a case/elsif statement, the code is hybrid.

Options
    There was a discussion a while back about making biofuel from corn stover (the non-grain portion of the crop), didn’t have time to reply in detail then, so I’m going to try and fill in what I know while chilling on vacation. 

In ~2014 or ‘15 DuPont started building a cellulosic ethanol plant in central Iowa.  Plan was to use corn stover as feedstock.  The harvesting plan Was a three year minimum rotation, meaning stover could only be harvested once every three years from an individual field.
    Stover harvesting was completed post grain harvest by stalk chopping with a windrowing stalk chopper followed by baling into 3’x4’x8’ large squares.  This does remove organic matter, but because of high yielding corn and corn on corn rotations, they actually have some issues with too much residue as it tries to decompose. This also some public misnomer about sequestering carbon in soil as organic matter decomposes, surprise, it releases CO2.  Lot of logistics in moving harvested stover, storing, and preserving, won’t boor you with those details.

Fast forward to the Dow DuPont merger, the cellulosic ethanol plant they were building ended up in limbo as an asset they didn’t know what to do with and was sold off.  Now owned by VERBIO, supposed to be making ethanol, or already are from corn cellulose.  
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

Doh- forgot the window.  Safety protocol to keep the auto up from hurting someone, monitors current load on the motor, if a spike in current is seen, your window stops or rolls back down.  There are boring written standards that define the level of force where the window has to stop, so the jarring of the window when you shut the door likely causes a load spike.  My F150 will do this when rolling up my window on a rough road sometimes.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the window overload is actually nice, mine was frozen up the other day. dont want to tear a gasket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Obviously designing a window regulator so it doesn't amputate passengers is massive government overreach.