Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,104
    Oh, and it is a bit of a rabbit hole with proper process, material, installer, etc.  You have to make sure you get a good installer, a hack can do more damage to your paint than a week spent in a haboob.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    Oh, and it is a bit of a rabbit hole with proper process, material, installer, etc.  You have to make sure you get a good installer, a hack can do more damage to your paint than a week spent in a haboob.
    Yeah watched them cut the film that was on the car and wondered how they managed not to nick the paint. I find myself watching all kinds of auto shows of things I will never do but somehow enjoy and appreciate the skills of the fabricators on the projects. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Dobie said:
    Yeah watched them cut the film that was on the car and wondered how they managed not to nick the paint. I find myself watching all kinds of auto shows of things I will never do but somehow enjoy and appreciate the skills of the fabricators on the projects. 
    My film they used was pre-cut.  The shop has a giant CNC cutter and they buy the patterns from a vendor then cut the film out before applying.

I talked to one of the guys about cutting on the car and he says you can “feel” and “hear” when you have the pressure just right.  He said they practice by putting film on their arm and cutting it.  That is how he gets the feel for the film.

• Ozzie_Isaac

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,956

Who are these people who park their luxury cars in their living rooms?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dobie said:
    Dobie said:
    lol. I don’t know what it cost to wrap a truck but it would be fun to change it up every now and then
    My car was about $6k for a full wrap.

Just PPF on front half (hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, windshield) was $3500.
    What’s maintenance like for it and does it need replaced at some point for wear? 
    PPF (paint protective film) is great.  No maintenance required. Replace between 5-10 years depending on condition.  Vinyl wraps are supposed to be replaced around 3 years or so.

For the $3500, I also had ceramic coat and full paint correction prior to install.
    Was watching one of the car shows the other day they were applying PPF on a Lanbo or something and the film just made the color of the paint have a different sheen to it, not quite flat but something in between. Looked great and interesting watching them apply it to all the curves and angles. Doubt I will ever own anything that I would put it on but you never know. 
    Buddy has his Porsche wrapped in PPF and personally, I thought it dulled the sheen. Were it mine, I think I’d apply a good coat of wax over top. 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,312
    edited August 29
    Doing a windshield seems beneficial.  Will be looking into this for a newer used vehicle Mrs. Cooper recently bought.  Thanks @Ozzie_Isaac
    PPF probably makes good sense, more so for exotics.  For our vehicles it would be like putting plastic on the interior seats.  We just buff out the road blemishes and the rest is "patina".  🙂

*edit to ask, are the windshield coating suitable if snow/ice is common in winter?  Do they hold up to ice scrapers?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,003
    When I first started reading about wraps on this thread I thought "Hmm.  Maybe I'll get a wrap for my 2010 Ford Taurus.  I will be like getting a new car for a much lower price."

Then I realized I only paid $6000 for the car in 2019 (with only 38k miles) - so the wrap actually is about the price of a "new" car when you buy used cars like I do...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 178
    Dobie said:
    lol. I don’t know what it cost to wrap a truck but it would be fun to change it up every now and then
    My car was about $6k for a full wrap.

Just PPF on front half (hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, windshield) was $3500.
    What’s maintenance like for it and does it need replaced at some point for wear? 
    PPF (paint protective film) is great.  No maintenance required. Replace between 5-10 years depending on condition.  Vinyl wraps are supposed to be replaced around 3 years or so.

For the $3500, I also had ceramic coat and full paint correction prior to install.
    I've PPF'd three of my last four cars (not the XC40 which I hated so much I sold it with only 174km on it).  PPF on the the front facing surfaces and ceramic on the rest.  Stek puts out PPF in different colours with a 10 year warranty. next car will be black paint and I'll put BRG in Stek PPF leaving a few details in black. 
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 412
    I looked at vinyl a while back and the sheen varied substantially, brand to brand. So did the installation procedures. Do your homework if you're adding vinyl.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Ozzie_Isaac

Where do you park yours?

• JohnInCarolina

Where do you park yours?
    On the street, right in front of my next door neighbor’s house, like a proper ****.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,410
    At the lake last weekend. I wonder what his occupation is.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,410

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,587

Full transparency ... if I could park my car beside my bed, without my wife complaining, I absolutely would.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,312

Full transparency ... if I could park my car beside my bed, without my wife complaining, I absolutely would.
     @Mark_B_Good -  Given your rides you'd need a two-stall bedroom.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac

• dldawes1a
    dldawes1a Posts: 21
    Here’s one from the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville a couple of months ago…

Donnie Dawes - Carrollton, KY
    2-XL BGE’s ( until 1 was stolen )
    “Let the smoke out!”
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    In person, this thing is huge!  Pretty sure that is what the 3X stands for.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Kind of a unique yellow on this Ferrari.  I don’t know the model.

• JohnInCarolina
    @Ozzie_Isaac - is it actually yellow?  It looks more off-white to me.  Almost like an eggshell color.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,665
    @Ozzie_Isaac - is it actually yellow?  It looks more off-white to me.  Almost like an eggshell color.
    It looks like Bianco Avorio

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,206
    Maybach 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac

It is more cream (could definitely be Bianco Avorio)  than off-white.  To my eye there is a yellow undertone.  It has mega old-lady vibes to the color.

• @Ozzie_Isaac - is it actually yellow?  It looks more off-white to me.  Almost like an eggshell color.

It is more cream (could definitely be Bianco Avorio)  than off-white.  To my eye there is a yellow undertone.  It has mega old-lady vibes to the color.
    Almost makes the first photo look like sepia. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac

Almost makes the first photo look like sepia. 
    I looked back, it does!!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,206
    I haven't seen these new electric Hummers until a week or so ago. I've seen 4-5 now in the last week. I can't believe how big it was. I don't know if he lifted his or the others maybe didn't have their lift up. I'm guessing they might be on airbags?

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    I haven't seen these new electric Hummers until a week or so ago. I've seen 4-5 now in the last week. I can't believe how big it was. I don't know if he lifted his or the others maybe didn't have their lift up. I'm guessing they might be on airbags?

Just my opinion, but a lot of vehicles are simply getting way too big for our infrastructure (i.e., roads, parking spaces, etc.). They also pose a very real and significant hazard to other, smaller vehicles on the road. Even a lot of modern pickups can’t seem to stay in their lanes - 99.9% with empty beds. 

Now get off my lawn!
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 412
    Very clearly, if that vehicle hits an adult pedestrian, the pedestrian is going to have upper body injuries. It also appears as if the driver's sightline just barely has the pedestrian visible. And it might be worse backing up.

Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,985
    Not to mention the momentum that thing must have, with big enough batteries...  when a driver loses control of a car or truck now, they often go thru a cafe's dining room or a showroom; that thing'll go thru a building.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'