Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,114
    kl8ton said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    I missed a pic of the 720S Spider but I did manage to get one of the Ford Show. The Show is probably more rare than the 720S Spider given that it's still around being in a salt belt state. 

You are such a midwesterner.

Haha. Yeah, I'm usually more impressed with a 30+ year old clean rust free car than I am a $300K exotic. 
    Same. My kids think I'm ridiculous. "Wow! Look at that Buick Reatta... So clean!"

Rust?  We get Patina in the desert.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• kl8ton said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    I missed a pic of the 720S Spider but I did manage to get one of the Ford Show. The Show is probably more rare than the 720S Spider given that it's still around being in a salt belt state. 

Haha. Yeah, I'm usually more impressed with a 30+ year old clean rust free car than I am a $300K exotic. 
    Same. My kids think I'm ridiculous. "Wow! Look at that Buick Reatta... So clean!"

Pardon my ignorance. I have never lived in the desert. Is that a patina created by sand?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,059
    kl8ton said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

Pardon my ignorance. I have never lived in the desert. Is that a patina created by sand?

Sunburn.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    kl8ton said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

Sunburn.
    Sunburn and blowing sand.

Lack of moisture allows it to really develop over time.  Plus no winter salt.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,207
    It looks to be a Ford Falcon that was converted into a coupe. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Saw this gentleman living his best life today wringing out a Porsche 912.

• alaskanassasin
    edited August 4
    WeberWho said:

There were Tudor Falcons… what am I missing?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,464

Timeless body style but not a whole lot of wringing with the 4 banger 912.  Still a sweet ride.
    Looks a bit slow off the line!!😎
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,993

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• WeberWho
    WeberWho said:

If you look at the middle window the framing around the window appears to have an outline of where the door would open if the door wasn't welded and blended with the body. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 4
    lousubcap said:

Timeless body style but not a whole lot of wringing with the 4 banger 912.  Still a sweet ride.
    Looks a bit slow off the line!!😎
    That is what makes them so fun!  When you "give'er all she's got Captin'" you are just barely at the speed limit.  He was ducking and weaving in Sunday morning traffic, then we both got some open road and he hung with me (I was in a VW Atlas, so that isn't hard to do) and we cruised on up into the foothills.

I had a 4 banger Doge Dakota, with a 5-Spd.  I used to absolutely drive it like a raped ape, and nobody had any clue.

• alaskanassasin
    Good catch @WeberWho
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

If you look at the middle window the framing around the window appears to have an outline of where the door would open if the door wasn't welded and blended with the body. 

Wagon style from that era or worth way more than their sedan counter parts.  Chevy Nomad?  Pretty cool conversion in my mind.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho said:

Look what showed up on Marketplace:

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,592
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

Look what showed up on Marketplace:

MSRP on the base model in that year was just over $13,000.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,005
    @Mark_B_Good - or anyone - for those of us who are fast car ignorant and just look as this pics for the pretty cars, why would someone pick a Maserati over any of the other exotic fast cars we see pics of here.  I'm not criticizing the choice in any way - I just honestly don't know.  Why Maserati over a Porsche or Audi R8 or Ferrari or Lamborghini or McLaren, etc.

I don't know the price points of any of these cars so I get that anyone looking is trying to find the sweet spot of "most bang (speed and style) for the buck" within their range of resources.  Is there a price hierarchy?

Just curious and trying to learn.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,589
    edited August 8
    Foghorn said:
    @Mark_B_Good - or anyone - for those of us who are fast car ignorant and just look as this pics for the pretty cars, why would someone pick a Maserati over any of the other exotic fast cars we see pics of here.  I'm not criticizing the choice in any way - I just honestly don't know.  Why Maserati over a Porsche or Audi R8 or Ferrari or Lamborghini or McLaren, etc.

I don't know the price points of any of these cars so I get that anyone looking is trying to find the sweet spot of "most bang (speed and style) for the buck" within their range of resources.  Is there a price hierarchy?

Good question.

There was much research in my choice of car ... started from pretty much any option in a price range (which did include the Porsche GT3 RS, GT4 RS, Lambos, Ferraris, Aston Martins, McLaren Artura, 720s, etc).  

My reasons:

- Best value for the money ... I would be getting a 6 to 7 year old, outdated Ferrari or Lambo for the same money, and one's that would not perform at the same level of the MC20.
    - It's a masterpiece ... the MC20 has stolen the hearts of many performance drivers for incredible acceleration, handling, versatility, and design beauty.
    - It is exotic and rare ... only 2000 of these in the world.  You simply don't see them on the road, whereas, you will see TONS of Porsches and even Ferrari's and Lambo's. The are unique.
    - Maserati has a legacy, and this car in particular, the MC20 is hand made in Modena, Italy in a state of the art factory, with outstanding quality.  The vehicle has a remarkable reliability ... after 3 years of sales, every owner I know of has stated the car is robust.  McLaren's on the other hand, have a huge reliability issue.

In summary, compared to other options, there is no option ... it has the best combination of price point, design beauty, performance, reliability and rarity.

Any person who does know supercars becomes very excited when they find out I have an MC20 ... it is a well-respected vehicle out there in the realm of enthusiasts ... and those who know. It will serve as part of "collections" due to the rarity (one day ... right now the last of the coupes are being sold off, so there is availability). I think once the coupes are all gone, the value of the MC20 will go through the roof ... it's predecessor ... the MC12 (although even more rare) is now worth a whopping $3.5 million a car.

Watch this video ... EVO CAR OF THE YEAR 2022 ... against Ferrari, R8, McLaren, Porsche GT4 ... it came out as the car of the year. This review is no joke, it's the most respected car review in the world, and the drivers are well respected, non-bias reviewers.

https://youtu.be/rgESfH3_4Pc?si=MuJdRRU6AcDfgA3Q

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Foghorn said:

Good question.

There was much research in my choice of car ... started from pretty much any option in a price range (which did include the Porsche GT3 RS, GT4 RS, Lambos, Ferraris, Aston Martins, McLaren Artura, 720s, etc).  

My reasons:

- Best value for the money ... I would be getting a 6 to 7 year old, outdated Ferrari or Lambo for the same money, and one's that would not perform at the same level of the MC20.
    - It's a masterpiece ... the MC20 has stolen the hearts of many performance drivers for incredible acceleration, handling, versatility, and design beauty.
    - It is exotic and rare ... only 2000 of these in the world.  You simply don't see them on the road, whereas, you will see TONS of Porsches and even Ferrari's and Lambo's. The are unique.
    - Maserati has a legacy, and this car in particular, the MC20 is hand made in Modena, Italy in a state of the art factory, with outstanding quality.  The vehicle has a remarkable reliability ... after 3 years of sales, every owner I know of has stated the car is robust.  McLaren's on the other hand, have a huge reliability issue.

In summary, compared to other options, there is no option ... it has the best combination of price point, design beauty, performance, reliability and rarity.

Any person who does know supercars becomes very excited when they find out I have an MC20 ... it is a well-respected vehicle out there in the realm of enthusiasts ... and those who know. It will serve as part of "collections" due to the rarity (one day ... right now the last of the coupes are being sold off, so there is availability). I think once the coupes are all gone, the value of the MC20 will go through the roof ... it's predecessor ... the MC12 (although even more rare) is now worth a whopping $3.5 million a car.

Watch this video ... EVO CAR OF THE YEAR 2022 ... against Ferrari, R8, McLaren, Porsche GT4 ... it came out as the car of the year. This review is no joke, it's the most respected car review in the world, and the drivers are well respected, non-bias reviewers.

https://youtu.be/rgESfH3_4Pc?si=MuJdRRU6AcDfgA3Q

MC20 is such an absolutely amazing car!  Gorgeous performance machine!

Probably their only current car with Maserati history and DNA in it!!

• Mark_B_Good
    edited August 8
    I don't write this next sentence to boast, but to demonstrate what this car does in real life ...

One thing I forgot to mention, a few weeks ago, I drove the car to a hotel and parked in front of the hotel, next to a Ferrari California (white one, looked nice). NO ONE took any photos of the Ferrari ... there were tons of people who took photos next to the Maserati.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,005
    Thanks for that explanation and the video link.  It explained a lot.

Now I just have to resist the urge to buy the Toyota that was in that video.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks for that explanation and the video link.  It explained a lot.

Now I just have to resist the urge to buy the Toyota that was in that video.
    It came 2nd! Imagine being able to say it beat out a McLaren and a Ferrari (and a Porsche GT4 and R8)!
  • lousubcap
    @Mark_B_Good - thanks for the video.  Livin well right there.  Beautiful. Continue to enjoy as I am sure you do. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,592

So this has been in my driveway several times in the last week. I finally identified the feeling I get when I see one going down the road.  I was at a restaurant last night dining outside.  A cyber truck rolled past pulling a landscaping trailer with some large plastic yard toy or hot tub on it or something like that.   The feeling I get is that aliens have arrived and are dwelling among us.  This is what they choose to drive.  There are not many of them, but they are here and we have to learn to adapt.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    edited August 9
    So with all the above, @kl8ton why was it in your driveway?  Edit: Detailer son or am I missing the mark?