Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,592

My son is working on it right now.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,115
    kl8ton said:

Does your son do detailing by chance?

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• kl8ton
    kl8ton said:

Yes. Not sure how much detailing needs to be done on a brand new Cyber truck. Delivered less than a week ago.  He did say there is already spots on the finish and he was researching how to get rid of them.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:

Yes. Not sure how much detailing needs to be done on a brand new Cyber truck. Delivered less than a week ago.  He did say there is already spots on the finish and he was researching how to get rid of them.
    That was going to be my next question.  How does he handle the stainless finish.  It seems like a beast to take care of if you want a uniform look across the sides.  My outdoor stainless doors and cabinets look clean for about 15 seconds.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:

That was going to be my next question.  How does he handle the stainless finish.  It seems like a beast to take care of if you want a uniform look across the sides.  My outdoor stainless doors and cabinets look clean for about 15 seconds.
    Plus if anything gets jacked up on it I don't think there's any place around here that's going to fix it.  He's insured for quite a bit but I feel with this type of vehicle you can't buy the time that's going to be required to fix anything that goes wrong.  I cautioned him on speeds on his rotary buffers and whatever products he's using. I told him to contact the manufacturers for recommendations.  One manufacturer that he uses actually gets the VIN number of the vehicle that he's applying the product to and it follows the VIN number. They send him product based on the vehicle.  Hopefully they have good insight.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:

Plus if anything gets jacked up on it I don't think there's any place around here that's going to fix it.  He's insured for quite a bit but I feel with this type of vehicle you can't buy the time that's going to be required to fix anything that goes wrong.  I cautioned him on speeds on his rotary buffers and whatever products he's using. I told him to contact the manufacturers for recommendations.  One manufacturer that he uses actually gets the VIN number of the vehicle that he's applying the product to and it follows the VIN number. They send him product based on the vehicle.  Hopefully they have good insight.  
    He applies ceramic coatings that are good for up to 9 years.  The customer can pick how many years that it will be good for.  I think you can get a 3-year, 6-year, or 9-year.  I haven't talked to him much about this but the goal I'm thinking is to ceramic coat this thing to prevent the weird spotting.... But I have no idea if a ceramic coating will adhere to this.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:

He applies ceramic coatings that are good for up to 9 years.  The customer can pick how many years that it will be good for.  I think you can get a 3-year, 6-year, or 9-year.  I haven't talked to him much about this but the goal I'm thinking is to ceramic coat this thing to prevent the weird spotting.... But I have no idea if a ceramic coating will adhere to this.  
    Sorry for multiple posts...  

He is excited about the fact that he is the first detailer in our area to even land one of these. If he can figure them out, and word of mouth spreads, and the people that own them talk....
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,995
    I'm wondering if there's an automotive clear topcoat that adheres directly to SS sans primer, etc; that'd possibly be a way to go.  
    I saw my first CyberHuak parked just 5 blocks south of me yesterday, on the south edge of the Terrace probably to watch the Thunderbirds from HAFB this last weekend.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181
    there are ceramic coating and then there are Paint Protection Films. I have PPF on the forward facing surfaces of the car - hood, side mirror backs, rear doors (for the flare out) - and ceramic on the rest. I bet that a gloss PPF would be the best solution for long term consistent shine, but completely goes upstream from the idea of a SS car in the first place.

How do the remaining DeLoreans from the 80's now look?
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • kl8ton
    zaphod said:
    there are ceramic coating and then there are Paint Protection Films. I have PPF on the forward facing surfaces of the car - hood, side mirror backs, rear doors (for the flare out) - and ceramic on the rest. I bet that a gloss PPF would be the best solution for long term consistent shine, but completely goes upstream from the idea of a SS car in the first place.

@stlcharcoal
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,677
    That thing is laughably ugly. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,995
    zaphod said:
    Good question!  
    My SS cookware mostly looks good, but it’s scrubbed in soapy water on occasion; and bi-annually with vinegar and/or Barkeeper’s Friend.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    zaphod said:

I saw 8 of them in a row yesterday when taking back roads to a concert. There must have been a meet up somewhere. They were in immaculate shape. 

A guy on YouTube has a channel called Legit Street Cars and he has a series about restoring an old McLaren. Lots of time, money, and help from other McLaren fanatics. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho said:
    zaphod said:

I saw 8 of them in a row yesterday when taking back roads to a concert. There must have been a meet up somewhere. They were in immaculate shape. 

A guy on YouTube has a channel called Legit Street Cars and he has a series about restoring an old McLaren. Lots of time, money, and help from other McLaren fanatics. 

^^^ I'm not sure why I said McLaren instead of Delorean. (He also owns a McLaren but not what I meant to say.) 

I looked up the Wisconsin Delorean Facebook page and found out their was a meet up Sunday near the concert venue. I guess they had 17 Deloreans at the meet. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,704
    We had close to 100 DeLoreans at Cleveland show summer of 2000 when John DeLorean came to the show......then there were well over that at the Chicago show summer of 2006.  It's pretty cool to line a couple dozen of them up perfectly and shoot a photo looking through the open doors.
  • WeberWho said:
    Corvair 

Nova

Always loved the Nova SS. 
  • kl8ton
    WeberWho said:
    Corvair 

Nova

My father in law had a 72. It had a 302 stroker motor in it. I'll see if I can find a pic.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton said:
    WeberWho said:
    Corvair 

Nova

My father in law had a 72. It had a 302 stroker motor in it. I'll see if I can find a pic.
    At the same time, he had a 68 Vette. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,966

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    WeberWho said:
    Corvair 

Nova

That red car looks unsafe just sitting there.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,470
    Ralph Nader may have had an opinion about that red car.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181

oh ... my ... 

is it at least exotic wood? because other than that, it's just uglier ugly.
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • WeberWho
    lousubcap said:
    Ralph Nader may have had an opinion about that red car.

Haha. I just came back to post a Ralph Nader pick. 

My Dad had a 1966 Corvair Corsa and I believe a 1968 Charger RT when he was young. He has always said the Charger was fun until you needed to brake or turn. The Corvair wasn't fast by any stretch but could corner and was light. His Corvair is the car he misses the most. He bought a second Corvair as a project but essentially us kids came along and him starting a business left him with no extra time and he sold it to a friend. I remember as a kid going and looking at the Corvair that he sold to his friend. He was interested in buying the car back and his friend was willing to sell but it was in the same condition as when my Dad sold it. A project. I don't know what happened but I'm guessing my Dad probably knew he wouldn't have the time or space to dedicate to it. 

I've always had a soft spot for those mid 60's Corvair hard top coupes. 

Jay Leno has a couple good videos on YouTube on his Corvairs. Especially the Yenko Corvair. Worth a watch. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho

Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,602
    Back in 1979 I worked with a guy who had bee in a wreck in a Corvair. The steering wheel broke and pierced his abdomen. I understand that there was a legal settlement,
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,010
    zaphod said:

oh ... my ... 

is it at least exotic wood? because other than that, it's just uglier ugly.
    Yes, it's irony wood.
    Not a felon