Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• @Mark_B_Good

Beautiful. Bet it’s a really wild ride. 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,326
    @Mark_B_Good - Think you once posted here some track times in that machine that were impressive.  Refresh my memory please.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I wonder which University teaches their Marketing students that GT2 RS should be faster, more powerful, and more expensive than a GT3 RS.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91
    And, I am not throwing stones, just curious.  After all, I got my Engineering Degree from one of the 14 Big Ten schools.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,629

@GrateEggspectations ... yes, the GT2 RS is a turbo equipped vehicle, whereas the GT3 RS is naturally aspirated ... which explains the difference in horsepower.  The GT2 RS is by far the crown jewel of all the RS models Porsche has to offer, only rivalled by the 918 Spyder (hybrid).  By the way, good luck getting those cars for those prices for RS models ... often the stock is assigned to only good clients, and the average Joe pays a nice premium mark up if they want their hands on one.

Here is my baby ... it is 605 HP ... so competes with the Turbo S Exclusive Series.  A Stage 2+ TTRS

While mine is far away from your bad ass ride

APR Stage 2 ECU upgrade / Down Pipe / K04 upgraded turbo

Your car is beautiful 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    @TEXASBGE2018 educate me. Seriously...not being an arse. We have a slightly modified 2014 wrangler that has handled anything we've ever thrown at it. We don't rock crawl or anything but for pure off road capability I couldn't be happier. But a Lexus GX 460? Who knew? 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2023
    ksmyrl said:
    @TEXASBGE2018 educate me. Seriously...not being an arse. We have a slightly modified 2014 wrangler that has handled anything we've ever thrown at it. We don't rock crawl or anything but for pure off road capability I couldn't be happier. But a Lexus GX 460? Who knew? 
    So the GX is what they call a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado everywhere but the states. It's the main vehicle choice of pretty much all relief organizations across the world. They aren't rock crawlers unless you heavily modify them which you can but it's costly. But shy of that they will out perform a jeep everywhere else and they don't break. Google "Land Crusier Prado Offroad" or "GXOR" to get some ideas

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2023
    Okay. That makes sense. I have a buddy who only drives land cruisers. I've never been a Yoda guy. Had 2 Lexus and they lived in the shop, hated them. LS 400 and RX 350. But that's far from scientific evidence. The Wrangler has had its share of "normal" issues but we've been happy w it. But my good ole American (sort of) trucks are my go to. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,137
    ksmyrl said:
    Okay. That makes sense. I have a buddy who only drives land cruisers. I've never been a Yoda guy. Had 2 Lexus and they lived in the shop, hated them. LS 400 and RX 350. But that's far from scientific evidence. The Wrangler has had its share of "normal" issues but we've been happy w it. But my good ole American (sort of) trucks are my go to. 
    I loved my wrangler, but alas I traded it in on my daughter's new car.  It was fun and the issues it had didn't bother me because I expect them with a wrangler.  They are like a toy, not an actual mode of transport.

Hopefully I will get a new to me one in a month or so.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,592
    edited May 2023
    @Mark_B_Good

It's literally an insane ride.  In Stage 2+ mode (E30 mix of gas), it does 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds.

Quarter mile is 10.7s.  To give you an idea ... at 10s cars generally require a parachute to slow them down on the strip, after they cross the finish line.

I haven't tested top speed yet, I'm too scared to, but it is well over 300 km/h (probably 315 to 320 km/h).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Langner91 said:
    I wonder which University teaches their Marketing students that GT2 RS should be faster, more powerful, and more expensive than a GT3 RS.
    Some people don't like having the turbo on a track ... it is too responsive and jolts the car, creating instability out of the turns.  Plus, you'll always have the effects of turbo-lag (time it takes to get going), but this is compensated by just keeping the car in a good RPM band during shift changes (above 3500 rpm).

Anyhow, the other thing I've read is the GT3 RS is aerodynamically more superior than the GT2 RS, which helps it corner a lot better.  GT2 has the power to take it on the straights ... so if you have a track with lots of corners, the GT3 could end up being the superior car ... it's not always about HP. In fact, most professional racers will say once you hit the 500 HP to 600 HP mark, you've pretty much topped out on useful performance on a track, because you don't have straight aways long enough to get the extra speed you would gain from those HP.  After 500 HP, what becomes far more important is brakes and handling ... especially brakes.  And that is another issue ... the GT3 RS has superior brake technology than the GT2 RS.

In a straight line though (drag strip) ... the GT2 RS will blow the GT3 RS (as would my car ... GT3 RS has no chance against my Stage 2+ TTRS on the drag strip).
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,209
    @Mark_B_Good

Quarter mile is 10.7s.  To give you an idea ... at 10s cars generally require a parachute to slow them down on the strip, after they cross the finish line.

I want to say most tracks require a cage for anything 10 seconds or under.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2023
    WeberWho said:
    @Mark_B_Good

I want to say most tracks require a cage for anything 10 seconds or under.
    Right - except for the first time.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @Mark_B_Good

It's literally an insane ride.  In Stage 2+ mode (E30 mix of gas), it does 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds.

I haven't tested top speed yet, I'm too scared to, but it is well over 300 km/h (probably 315 to 320 km/h).
    English and metric units in one post.  Disgrace.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,503
    Too easy to  convert these days but like *C and *F in a forum cook post...nothing is ever easy! B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @Mark_B_Good

Assuming it is rpm limited, what is the calculated max speed?
    @Mark_B_Good

Drag limited? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    @Mark_B_Good

Drag limited? 
    Speed Limit is controlled by the road signage.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, drag limits it below the calculated max although there’s a difference if there’s a rev limiter which is just a setting in the computer 
    @Mark_B_Good

Drag limited? 
    Speed Limit is controlled by the road signage.
    Hmm.......maybeso..maybe no
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Mark_B_Good
    @Mark_B_Good

English and metric units in one post.  Disgrace.
    I'm Canadian, weight is general lbs, but can be grams or kilograms (especially for things you guy in the grocery store ... we don't get 1 lb butter bars, they are 450 grams).

Speed is most definitely km/h, unless you're in a boat, then it's nautical miles.

Weather temperature is measured in degrees Celsius, but my pool is in
    Fahrenheit.  Air conditioner is optional ('C/'F).

Vehicle power is definitely horsepower, and torque is lb-ft.

Measuring length is in ft and inches.

Most volume is in liters ... like gas, drinks.  But my toilet has gallons per flush rating.

It's a pretty mixed mess, and I need to know both US Imperial and Metric.
  • Mark_B_Good
    @Mark_B_Good

That's where the 315 to 320 km/h estimated speed comes from.  Stock is supposed to be 305 km/h ... so it means that it doesn't have enough horsepower to redline in 7th gear at stock.  And so we do a calculation on horsepower difference (605 HP crank on my stage 2+ vs. 405 HP crank stock) ... and assume that we don't redline in 7th.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,010
    Mark_B_Good said:
    I'm Canadian, weight is general lbs, but can be grams or kilograms (especially for things you guy in the grocery store ... we don't get 1 lb butter bars, they are 450 grams).

Speed is most definitely km/h, unless you're in a boat, then it's nautical miles.

Weather temperature is measured in degrees Celsius, but my pool is in
    Fahrenheit.  Air conditioner is optional ('C/'F).

Vehicle power is definitely horsepower, and torque is lb-ft.

Measuring length is in ft and inches.

Most volume is in liters ... like gas, drinks.  But my toilet has gallons per flush rating.

It's a pretty mixed mess, and I need to know both US Imperial and Metric.
    I was working USAF ejection seats when we were building up our F-35 fleet.  Most ejection systems were built in the US (ACES II, ACES V) but the F-35 ended up with a Martin-Baker (Great Britain) seat, which used metric fasteners.  So every seat shop across the world had to buy a complete second set of tools (and unlike most "lowest-bidder" decisions, the USAF uses Snap-On exclusively).  
    I was confused, I thought GB was "Imperial", but it turns out they're "mixed use" like Canada:

Actually, the US is "mixed use" too, I had imperial wrenches sockets for my Fords, metric for my Saabs/Toyota, and of course Torx for my BMW.   :angry: 

I'd come around, every once in awhile,

Or if I ever needed a reason to smile,

Or spend the night, if you think I should...     TR

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    @Botch - our MK-48 shop was strictly Snap-On tools. Loved them.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Just south of my town, we have an Interstate (I-19) that is the only interstate in the USA fully marked in Kilometers.

• Just south of my town, we have an Interstate (I-19) that is the only interstate in the USA fully marked in Kilometers.
    Just honouring your Northern neighbours, or your British heritage? Just, why?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,503
    Just south of my town, we have an Interstate (I-19) that is the only interstate in the USA fully marked in Kilometers.

I call Bull$hit as there is a section of one here that does the kilos but was snipped after a few km/miles.  Seems the politicians and drug dealers had some issues.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    I know the real formula is "9/5", but I went to Iowa, so I just round that to 2.  It is close enough for most things.

With that said, I just double it and add 32 when converting between metric and US measurements.  Its not perfect, but it gets me in the ballpark.  I don't understand why people resist the metric system.

1 pound = (1*2)+32~34kg
    1 gallon = (1*2)+32~34litres

Nothin' to it!  Saves a lot of time!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,010
    edited May 2023
    Langner91 said:
    I know the real formula is "9/5", but I went to Iowa, so I just round that to 2.  It is close enough for most things.

With that said, I just double it and add 32 when converting between metric and US measurements.  Its not perfect, but it gets me in the ballpark. 
    1 pound = (1*2)+32~34kg
    1 gallon = (1*2)+32~34litres

Nothin' to it!  Saves a lot of time!
    5˚F = 9˚C + 160 **
    That 9/5 ratio actually applies to temperatures too, and a lot more accurately (I went to Iowa State :tongue: ).

You also said
     I don't understand why people resist the metric system.
    We came very, very close to converting when I was in late Jr High/HS ('74 - '78) but the pocket calculator came along, I think that's what killed the effort.  Like a lot of things (COVID masks, DVORAK keyboards, etc) we yanks steadfastly refuse some up-front pain to make our future lives, and those of our kids, so much better.  

**EDIT:  Got to thinking about it, this 9/5 ratio thingie must be a huge coincidence.
    Imperial Length was determined by the distance from some English queen's chin to one of her fingers, that defined a yard, and the rest were divisions/multis of that (iirc).  Metric Length was a meter (again iirc) 1/10,000,000 of the distance between the Equator and either pole, this distance was carefully measured and cut on a rod in some European Standards museum.  (It was later discovered they were off a smidge, so they based a meter on the xx,xxx,xxx.69 wavelengths of some isotope of, Cesium? (broken record: iirc).  

Imperial Weight (the pound) is based on: I can't recall at all***.  Metric Weight is the gravitational force applied to exactly 1 Liter (defined by Length X 3) of pure liquid-phase water.  

Imperial Temperature is set at 32.something-something˚ for the freezing point of water, and 212.something˚ for boiling water at STP/sea level.  The above **  equation is close enough even for the ISU guys :tongue: but again, how did the 9/5 ratio come out so close?  

***EDIT:  "IIRC"... I've been retired for 3 years now, and it kinda scares me how much all the physics, chem, math, and engineering I learned from Jr Hi thru 3 degrees has been replaced by "who posts the best cat videos, and what time does the Sr Citizen discount kick in at the Golden Corral?"  Yikes.  

I'd come around, every once in awhile,

Or if I ever needed a reason to smile,

Or spend the night, if you think I should...     TR