Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcuterie - Show us your work

Options

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Incredible thread! The smart asz in me wants to post a pic of some hotdogs, spam and American cheese slices laid out on my olive wood board 😄
    not going down this rabbit hole 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @lkapigian That looks great. All these posts are very motivating. 

I have everything ready now. I tried to buy a good ‘ol fashioned pork butt in Abilene yesterday- couldn’t find one anywhere. There were pork butts, but they had been cut down and deboned, messing up the collar muscle in the process. 
    I’m headed to the local grocer in a bit to see what I can find. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That looks crazy good. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Top pic is coppa. Bottom is a board we made with pastrami, coppa, mortadella and 2 salamis. I beleive the salami was ours as well but not 100% sure. @20stone  are those yours? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options

Top pic is coppa. Bottom is a board we made with pastrami, coppa, mortadella and 2 salamis. I beleive the salami was ours as well but not 100% sure. @20stone  are those yours? 
    Yes Sir !!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    I’m not even in the pewee league compared to you guys.  I’ll share anyways, dropped some freshly dry brined belly/belly pieces in vac bags and into the fridge for 7 days. Long story short, we had a freshly butchered hog that was supposed to get roasted whole, event was canceled last minute and a friend and I pitched in to break down the hog and split it up for freezing.  I got a whole ham and half a belly. 

• FarmingPhD
    Options
    And just to add - this thread is awesome and appreciate y’all sharing your work.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I’m not even in the pewee league compared to you guys.  I’ll share anyways, dropped some freshly dry brined belly/belly pieces in vac bags and into the fridge for 7 days. Long story short, we had a freshly butchered hog that was supposed to get roasted whole, event was canceled last minute and a friend and I pitched in to break down the hog and split it up for freezing.  I got a whole ham and half a belly. 

Heck Ya
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    From the beginning , the versatile Eye of Round

Bresaola

2.25 % salt
    .25 cure 2
    1.5 sugar
    .4 black pepper
    .2 rosemary fresh
    .3 thyme fresh
    5 juniper berries per pound 

Trimmed out 2155 grams

Equilibrium Cure for 3 weeks

be back in November 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    This thread is amazing.  This is something I have always wanted to get into and have no idea where to even begin.   Talent level of some of you individuals is spectacular.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I found information on this blog to be worth the time to read.
    https://ourdailybrine.com/
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Hoster05 There are some fine folks here that are generous with time and knowledge. As for how to get started:
    1) Tell your wife you won’t be going on vacation this year
    2) Transfer funds from savings to checking
    3) Get list of stuff recommended 
    4) Follow recipes that are freely shared
    5) Wait impatiently
    6) Bask in goodness

Nothing to it. 
    This pretty much sums it up although “acquire land” (if you don’t have enough) and “buy piglets” could be added for those who want to fully embrace the lifestyle 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I draw the line at raising and butchering the animals.  Unless I hit a Wagyu with my truck, I'm just going to buy the meat (from the best source I can).  I'd make friends with some FFA kids, but that might be construed as creepy. (hey kid, got any good meat?)

edited October 2020
    Options
    I have 1st dibs on an FFA lamb that will be ready in January. Open to buying a pig. 
    @nolaegghead It’s not creepy if you negotiate through the Ag teacher, lol. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I have 1st dibs on an FFA lamb that will be ready in January. Open to buying a pig. 
    @nolaegghead It’s not creepy if you negotiate through the AG teacher, lol. 
    Problem number 2 for me is I live in the middle of a city with the nearest farmland about 30 minutes away so I don't think there are any FFA programs unless I feel like taking a road trip.  And this long haired hippy would probably get an ass full of rock salt if I tried to approach a red-neck school.... (I kid!)

Options
    @nolaegghead “Long haired hippy” - lol. Yeah, lots of differences between NOLA and Coleman, America...
    That’s why forum folks network though, right?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I'm lucky/unlucky to live in a house too small for a second refrigerator/curing box.  
    did make a canadian bacon in my single frig, and stuff a couple of batches of Italian sausages, however.  Separate threads.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @nolaegghead It’s not creepy if you negotiate through the AG teacher, lol. 
    Problem number 2 for me is I live in the middle of a city with the nearest farmland about 30 minutes away so I don't think there are any FFA programs unless I feel like taking a road trip.  And this long haired hippy would probably get an ass full of rock salt if I tried to approach a red-neck school.... (I kid!)

You could cut your hair.  Just a thought.  I know at least one fan of this idea @SGH.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    Options
    Heh, heh - #savethecurls
    We had a freakin’ school board meeting tonight in Coleman, America about hair for a student. Level III grievance - the whole nine yards. Like we don’t have more important things to deal with, lol. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Happy!
    Options
    Let’s don’t sink a good thread...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @SciAggie, the pasta was indeed homemade by my daughter.  The pesto was made in a blender by my wife.  I have to admit that the balsamic came from a squeeze bottle from the refrigerator - but it was really good.  I don't remember what brand...  But it was a great family effort with all 4 of us pitching in - especially given that:
    - I co-funded the purchasing and raising of the pig that gave us the prosciutto
    - my son and I were part of the team that butchered the pig that gave us the prosciutto
    - I think I co-funded the purchase of the partially butchered pig that gave us the pancetta and my son and I helped with the remaining butchering (I'm not 100% sure where this particular belly came from @The Cen-Tex Smoker )
    - My son and I manned the grill.
    - We all acted as sous chefs for my daughter at multiple points throughout the evening.

With regard to your sentiment about great food bringing people together, I couldn't agree more.  It was a great family night in the kitchen that was part of a journey that began at the last Salado Eggfest (2016) when I arranged to cook next to @caliking (who I knew from 2013 Salado Eggfest) - and he had teamed up with @20stone for the day.  A couple of months later I get a PM asking if my son and I want to meet up with them at a pig farm for a weekend and butcher a hog and buy 1/6 of 4 baby heritage pigs to raise...  As I've said on this forum before, I've really enjoyed being a passenger on this crazy train.  I bought a ticket and occasionally shovel some coal, but I'm not the conductor and the ticket I bought didn't really have a destination on it.  That's what makes it so great.  I clearly didn't anticipate last night's dinner when I agreed to write some checks for pigs in 2016...
    That's the most eloquent summary of the hairy hog adventure that I can recall. Or muster. 

Other folks reminisce about band camp. I tell tales of " when we raised hogs (on leased land, dodging an amorous donkey, etc.) with my bbq buddies". Many appreciated the tubs of GOOD lard I handed out for tamale season. Caliprince still says that Moe made the best sausage.

Who's cutting onions in here?? Why's my eye leaking??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I will keep reading, I don't even know where to begin.  I suppose acquiring a fermentation vessel would be the first step.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    I will keep reading, I don't even know where to begin.  I suppose acquiring a fermentation vessel would be the first step.  

you don't need to ferment to do charcuterie. Start with bacon- it's one of the most rewarding and easiest things to do as well. all you need is a little curing salt, some spices and a little fridge space.

That ham I posted earlier in the thread is super easy and does not require any special equipment.

Fermenting can come way later once you get the hang of the basics. I've been doing charcuterie for 10 years and have never fermented any meats on my own. I have done some in our group projects but @20stone is the mad scientist when it comes to the bugs. There is plenty to do with what you have at hand.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @SciAggie, the pasta was indeed homemade by my daughter.  The pesto was made in a blender by my wife.  I have to admit that the balsamic came from a squeeze bottle from the refrigerator - but it was really good.  I don't remember what brand...  But it was a great family effort with all 4 of us pitching in - especially given that:
    - I co-funded the purchasing and raising of the pig that gave us the prosciutto
    - my son and I were part of the team that butchered the pig that gave us the prosciutto
    - I think I co-funded the purchase of the partially butchered pig that gave us the pancetta and my son and I helped with the remaining butchering (I'm not 100% sure where this particular belly came from @The Cen-Tex Smoker )
    - My son and I manned the grill.
    - We all acted as sous chefs for my daughter at multiple points throughout the evening.

With regard to your sentiment about great food bringing people together, I couldn't agree more.  It was a great family night in the kitchen that was part of a journey that began at the last Salado Eggfest (2016) when I arranged to cook next to @caliking (who I knew from 2013 Salado Eggfest) - and he had teamed up with @20stone for the day.  A couple of months later I get a PM asking if my son and I want to meet up with them at a pig farm for a weekend and butcher a hog and buy 1/6 of 4 baby heritage pigs to raise...  As I've said on this forum before, I've really enjoyed being a passenger on this crazy train.  I bought a ticket and occasionally shovel some coal, but I'm not the conductor and the ticket I bought didn't really have a destination on it.  That's what makes it so great.  I clearly didn't anticipate last night's dinner when I agreed to write some checks for pigs in 2016...

you are correct. That pancetta was from the Camp David pig.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Humidifier and heating pad installed...

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Humidifier and heating pad installed...

Ready for a test run and see how it settles in....since the inkbird is not PID give yourself some room between humidify dehumidify ...heat and cool so it doesn’t fight itself 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lkapigian How much delta would you suggest?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon