Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcuterie - Show us your work

Options

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited October 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian How much delta would you suggest?
    I’m using the itc-608t so it’s either heat or cool, dehumidify or humidify ...I’m set up cool, dehumidify. My Delta H and T are @ 3.....I would set my heat and humidify at least 5 below cool and dehumidify SP....every chamber will be different so you will see how yours settles in....with product in there it is not likely the humidifier will run unless ambient RH is extremely low.....the beauty of your setup is initial fermentation in and empty chamber you can run the RH and temp up to get your fermentation done then go back to 55/80 for maturation ...if you go PID at some point your chamber will learn and draw a straight line 

edit : I will add I always have something new in the box keeping rh up, if you are only starting something and adding nothing till that is completed your humidifier may kick on...most of my added humidity comes from product 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Thanks. It seems for the moment the humidifier/dehumidifier are fighting each other. I set the swing value at 15% actually and it was still swinging. Since it’s empty I turned off the dehumidifier. I’ll watch it and see how that holds by itself. 
    Temps are stable as can be. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited October 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Thanks. It seems for the moment the humidifier/dehumidifier are fighting each other. I set the swing value at 15% actually and it was still swinging. Since it’s empty I turned off the dehumidifier. I’ll watch it and see how that holds by itself. 
    Temps are stable as can be. 
    You also have one other source of humidity to contend with in your set up and that is moisture from the evap coil being added back to the air stream by the fan after the cooling cycle stops, just keep that in mind while you fiddle with it ( not toobin fiddle ) as you get product in and the box settles the cooling cycles will be less so less humidity for that phantom source 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lkapigian It’s fun all the new things I’m learning that I never thought I’d need to know, lol. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I’ve got a piece of belly thawing in the fridge. I’m thinking of making pancetta following this recipe:
    https://ourdailybrine.com/how-to-make-rolled-pancetta-recipe/

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I’ve got a piece of belly thawing in the fridge. I’m thinking of making pancetta following this recipe:
    https://ourdailybrine.com/how-to-make-rolled-pancetta-recipe/

That's pretty spot on to the one I use, just have to decide if you want cure 1 or 2, I opted to let it ride to eat it cooked or uncooked so I used cure 2...if only going a few weeks and only cooking it go cure 1...im cutting into mine this week 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I was thinking cure #2 just for fun. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I was thinking cure #2 just for fun. 
    I would  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Charcuterer’s log, star date 98406.98 
    First attempt:

I discovered none of my kitchen scales or my electric balance at school would measure my pork belly. I ended up using the weight listed on the packaging. I’m not wearing a red shirt so maybe I won’t die. 

I measured all ingredients by percentage and applied to the belly. Upon pushing the belly into the vacuum seal bag the seasonings become unevenly distributed. I made sure all the cure was in the bag though. I hope as it cures over the next two weeks and I flip the bag it will redistribute and be ok. 

Any advice on an affordable scale suitable for upcoming projects?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The above looks cooler, but I have this one.  If you look hard enough you can probably get it for under $30 (or for a similar with a different name).

They have a rechargeable battery that charges when it's plugged in that is super nice when you're moving the scale to the operation.

Options
    @nolaegghead Oh snap! Thanks. That’s a better deal than what I was looking at. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you want to get really fancy, you can get one with a RS232 or usb output that plugs into a computer or printer where you can print labels for your freezer bags or whatever.

Options
    I may not get that fancy - yet...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Charcuterer’s log, star date 98406.98 
    First attempt:

I discovered none of my kitchen scales or my electric balance at school would measure my pork belly. I ended up using the weight listed on the packaging. I’m not wearing a red shirt so maybe I won’t die. 

I measured all ingredients by percentage and applied to the belly. Upon pushing the belly into the vacuum seal bag the seasonings become unevenly distributed. I made sure all the cure was in the bag though. I hope as it cures over the next two weeks and I flip the bag it will redistribute and be ok. 

Any advice on an affordable scale suitable for upcoming projects?
    You are fine with the cure bunched up for a night. There should be some liquid in the bag tomorrow that will help you redistribute everything. Make sure you are moving it around often until it distributes fairly evenly. 

Scales are good. You are likely ok with what you did but you wouldn’t want to make a habit of “close enough” when it comes to curing. Especially when cure 2 is in the mix. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I use two scales, sometimes 3 depending on what I'm doing.  The big one I listed above and a smaller 100g scale that has more accuracy and precision for the the nitrate/nitrite mixes, yeast, etc.  The smaller scale is around 12 bucks at harbor freight or on Amazon.

I also have 50g and 5Kg reference/calibration weights that I use every now and then to see if I'm in the ballpark.
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I wasn’t exactly happy about not being able to measure the weight exactly. The belly was thawed though and I needed to do something. 
    I’ll be ready with a better scale for the next round. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I use two scales, sometimes 3 depending on what I'm doing.  The big one I listed above and a smaller 100g scale that has more accuracy and precision for the the nitrate/nitrite mixes, yeast, etc.  The smaller scale is around 12 bucks at harbor freight or on Amazon.

I also have 50g and 5Kg reference/calibration weights that I use every now and then to see if I'm in the ballpark.
    I’ve got a nice scale good to 0.1 gram for the finer work. I just need something beefier now for larger chunks of meat. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options

Scales are good. You are likely ok with what you did but you wouldn’t want to make a habit of “close enough” when it comes to curing. Especially when cure 2 is in the mix. 
    @caliking You reading this????
    #scalesmatter
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I have a jewelers scale I use for my cure and cultures and a seperate one for the protein and spice mix...not overly necessary but nice to have ..1 tsp per 5 pounds of protein puts you close enough, a little over or under isn't the end of the world....Starter chapters vary in % and again, little over or under is not a deal breaker , just affects time if ferment as the culture grows anyway 

And I've used the package weight more than once being lazy and wanting to get my spice mix out if the way, just careful not to trim to much 

The OXO in the bottom is a workhorse with removable display and backlight I think 40 or 50 bucks , the Escali on top I use for the smaller measurements 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    @SciAggie - I would unplug the humidifier before the dehumid, as whatever you hang will add moisture to the air.  Also, humidity will swing a bit whenever the compressor of the fridge kicks on, which should be pretty infrequent where you are this time of year.

As for scales, we also use a separate scale (the "drug dealer scale") for cure and have old school spring scales for meat weight.  A big electronic scale is a better call.

Pro tip - Cambro Cam Square tubs (https://www.restaurantsupply.com/cambro-18sfscw135-clear-camsquare-18-quart-square-food-storage-container) are super handy for making sausage batches, if you head that way.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    @SciAggie - I would unplug the humidifier before the dehumid, as whatever you hang will add moisture to the air.  Also, humidity will swing a bit whenever the compressor of the fridge kicks on, which should be pretty infrequent where you are this time of year.

As for scales, we also use a separate scale (the "drug dealer scale") for cure and have old school spring scales for meat weight.  A big electronic scale is a better call.

Pro tip - Cambro Cam Square tubs (https://www.restaurantsupply.com/cambro-18sfscw135-clear-camsquare-18-quart-square-food-storage-container) are super handy for making sausage batches, if you head that way.

The big electronic scale will be securely in place for the next AWSS for sure.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Options
    Those look familiar!  PMEL!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SciAggie
    Options
    @lkapigian I know you use a ph meter. Do you replace the probe regularly? I was reading this article and they recommend replacing the probe every 12-18 months. 
    @nolaegghead Can you weigh in on this discusssion?

http://twoguysandacooler.com/the-importance-of-accurate-ph-in-salami-testing/
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian I know you use a ph meter. Do you replace the probe regularly? I was reading this article and they recommend replacing the probe every 12-18 months. 
    @nolaegghead Can you weigh in on this discusssion?

http://twoguysandacooler.com/the-importance-of-accurate-ph-in-salami-testing/
    I use the non bluetooth version that Eric uses, I have not replaced my probe yet I think I at about the 18 month mark...still accurate but gets used maybe once a month . 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I would keep a spare probe and replace it if you have problems calibrating.
    Options
    @lkapigian Those look so good. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon