Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Will You Be Egging During the Coronapocalypse?

Options

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Got some sous vide calamari in the pot at present.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - Dude!!  Totally impressed.  Onward and upward!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - I’d hurt myself on that plate 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Hoping this just landed Heartbrand Akasuhi brisket (12.6 lbs untrimmed) does not make this thread as it is on for National Brisket Day, May 28th.  

BTW-Heartbrand beef has free shipping on any order thru April 11 (no affiliation here).  
    Stay healthy and stay safe.  
    @CPARKTX2 and I just got a couple of Heartbrand Akaushi strips. They look pretty tasty. Can’t wait to try. (Mine is Right on top next to the 44 farms skirt and ribeyes). Another successful shady parking lot deal. Thanks Mark for making this one happen! 

A buddy of mine works for Sysco and brought some of their ground beef over once. It was really good. I'll look into getting some cuts from them if shipping is free. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    @caliking - free shipping thru April 11 at Heartbrand.  Window of opportunity!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Here's a PBC (in support of the gauntlet challenge) cooked load of pulled pork for the local small staffed fire house.

Stay healthy, stay safe.
    Thanks for lookin.  
    I’d tear that up and risk a choking death doing it. 
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Used leftovers of filet mignon to make a stacked grilled cheese. 

Yum
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,066
    Options

Looks killer man.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,690
    Options

Chuck roast going on. Traeger Big Game Rub and white oak for smoke. There may be a wee bit of rye whisky in that coffee. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options

That’s beautiful. I’d have trouble eating slowly enough to enjoy it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • TurtleTiger
    Options
    Doing my first brisket today. Evan’s Meat and Seafood out of Birmingham had pick-up last week in Auburn.  Bought a brisket, 2 cowboy bone-in ribeyes, bone-in chops, 10 burgers, and snapper filets.  

Today is brisket. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    Hoping this just landed Heartbrand Akasuhi brisket (12.6 lbs untrimmed) does not make this thread as it is on for National Brisket Day, May 28th.  

BTW-Heartbrand beef has free shipping on any order thru April 11 (no affiliation here).  
    Stay healthy and stay safe.  
    @CPARKTX2 and I just got a couple of Heartbrand Akaushi strips. They look pretty tasty. Can’t wait to try. (Mine is Right on top next to the 44 farms skirt and ribeyes). Another successful shady parking lot deal. Thanks Mark for making this one happen! 

A buddy of mine works for Sysco and brought some of their ground beef over once. It was really good. I'll look into getting some cuts from them if shipping is free. 
    Had a strip last night in a Thai steak salad. It was fantastic. Highly recommenced. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,690
    edited April 2020
    Options

Here it is a couple hours in. Didn’t expect it to be  so juicy. Hence, no drip pan.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,066
    Options
    Made a pan of dinner rolls this morning. 

Whoa 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    French toast this morning and half a butt on now. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,538
    Options
    COVIDuck.  I was going to post this cook in its own thread, as it was a new cooking technique I've never tried.  But since I'll never do it again, no point!   ;)

Got this out of Cook's Illustrated.  Basically you throw a whole duck in a braising pan, fill with water until it covers the wings, most of the leg, but not the breast.  Braise, uncovered, until the legs hit 150º, then drain, and roast in the oven at 425º until the breast hits 165º, let rest 20 minutes and carve 'er up.  The idea is to give the legs/wings a head start, without overcooking the breast.

First off, the legs on a duck are almost as high as the breast, so this was a bit of a judgement call.  They also slashed the skin in a much closer pattern than I usually do; it looked really good in the magazine, mine not so much:  

I usually lift a cooked duck with my large tongs, one side up the cavity and the other clamping down on the breast, so I can tip it and pour any broth/juice out.  That tore up the skin a bit, as it was wet and half-cooked.  
    Threw her on the Egg w/ pecan, and the breast hit 165º in about 45 minutes, as the recipe said it would.  But the skin was still blondish in color, didn't look like the bird in the magazine, nor any of my previous Duck/Egg cooks:

FrankenDuck!  Skin was barely crisped at all, and only in a few spots.  The lower skin on the legs, and on the wings, wasn't rendered at all.  The meat was okay, but I think my previous ducks were much better.  

The carcass is simmering away with a yellow onion, 3 chopped carrots, peppercorns and bay leaves, will at least make a nice duck soup tomorrow.  Cook's Illustrated is usually spot-on, but this recipe just didn't work for me.   :|  

"There is no underwear in Space"    - Carrie Fisher