Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It was a sausage making weekend with YukonRon and northGAcock

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    What a great way to spend the day!
    ...or even better....several days.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looks like a great time, guys.  Looking forward to seeing more in the future
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,540
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    caliking said:

Was @northGAcock able to stay awake long enough?
    @caliking.   You tell me....

who is sitting all alone in the dark?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Freakin awesome!!

I worked with my beer club making something like 600 pounds one year....a hellovalotta work, and we got a butcher to grind all the meat...and we had about 20 people.   

wish I was there....

I did that once a few years ago.  Had the hogs hanging in the morning and were sausage by the end of the day. No idea what the full weight was.
    that was too much work that way. Having a butcher take the meat off the bone was the ticket not to mention, the price was right.  Nice large boneless cuts ready for trimming.

Here is a picture of a side of the belly as it was given to us. You can see how the meat was taken off the ribs. 

As we were trimming, I was practicing making “butcher cuts” at the same time. We briefly considered making pork belly burnt ends with it, but decided to stick on task and into the grinder it went. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    RRP said:
    No offense or anything, but is that cold, butchering, grinding room with that equipment, ceiling rail system and who knows what else something more than just your back room...
    The cooler is built in the basement of a friend of Marks home. They did a phenomenal job. My favorite feature was the speakers they built in (the ceiling) so as to enjoy a few tunes while doing our grinding and stuffing. So much went into the planning and execution of the build. My hats off to both Mark and his friend.....who's house we were at. 
    I need to find better friends.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    caliking said:

....a family member of the folks who owned the home (where we linked up) .....we want mention by name. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    billt01 said:who is sitting all alone in the dark?
    My buddy’s son playing video games.  They have 5 kids ranging from 12 down to 10 months. 
    Large and MiniMax

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,990
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    caliking said:

One of the children shredding the video game...
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    What a great way to spend a couple of days. 

Pro tip - Putting those tables on risers will save you from a bit of back pain (depending on how tall you are)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,540
    Options
    20stone said:

Pro tip - Putting those tables on risers will save you from a bit of back pain (depending on how tall you are)
    Much easier to do the straight leg table conversion with conduit, but this is a great tip.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This is awesome. Makes me want to make sausage this weekend. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,914
    Options
    RRP said:
    No offense or anything, but is that cold, butchering, grinding room with that equipment, ceiling rail system and who knows what else something more than just your back room...
    The cooler is built in the basement of a friend of Marks home. They did a phenomenal job. My favorite feature was the speakers they built in (the ceiling) so as to enjoy a few tunes while doing our grinding and stuffing. So much went into the planning and execution of the build. My hats off to both Mark and his friend.....who's house we were at. 
    Thanks for the explanation! 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    Had to come back and read this again. Some fine gents slinging pork here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,856
    Options
    caliking said:
    Had to come back and read this again. Some fine gents slinging pork here. 
    Yes indeed.  I wonder what that feels like.  I've only done it with a bunch of misanthropes.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    20stone said:

no doubt, I have this and the wheels put it @ just the right height, we use this @ our cook offs ..........real back saver

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I read this thread and I am super jealous 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    So awesome...
    NOLA
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Yes, I know we need better and higher tables. We want to get all of the same so they are the same height and look good too. What @lkapigian posted is what we are looking for on locking casters. This was the first “real” project we did in this room. We have butchered a cow and a few pigs, but we had help with the cow and the pigs were small.  We learned a lot from this experience.

First: Ron and Robin are fun to hang out with even though most of the laughs were at my expense... I am cool with that. 

2) you can never have too many gloves

C) need a sink nearby

- need a magnetic knife rack

and you need big long cutting boards which will not slide 

We had a strong feeling that these were the things we needed, but it was validated this weekend. 

On the “really want list“: chamber sealer. 
    Large and MiniMax

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I keep a towel ( damp if need be) under my boards to keep them from moving ....ive got some nice boards but mainly use a big piece of 3/4 inch plywood 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For a big cutting board, I would recommend buying a sheet of Starboard, which is high density polyethylene (HDPE).  It's easy on the knives, relatively cheap, and will disinfect easily.
    Options
    For a big cutting board, I would recommend buying a sheet of Starboard, which is high density polyethylene (HDPE).  It's easy on the knives, relatively cheap, and will disinfect easily.
    Interesting! Where might a guy go pick up a piece or sheet? I Googled it, but shipping would probably outweigh the material cost...
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    RRP said:
    Interesting! Where might a guy go pick up a piece or sheet? I Googled it, but shipping would probably outweigh the material cost...
    My company buys it all the time at a local place.  Piedmount Plastics or something.  I would imagine every medium and up sized city has some place that sells it.  End use is mostly marine, but we use it for constructing hoods, equipment, etc.

Comes in 96" x 54" sheets.  1/2 inch thick is around $200, plus or minus.  You can buy 1/4, 3/4, 1", etc.

Cuts like a dream.  You can router it like it's balsa.  Very heavy, good chemical resistance.  Will sag under it's own weight so you wouldn't want to make cutting table without some supporting structure under it.  Comes in all kinds of colors.
    edited November 2019
    Options
    RRP said:
    West Marine definitely. Bass Pro or Cabelas maybe. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    RRP said:
    West Marine definitely. Bass Pro or Cabelas maybe. 
    Quite possibly Bimbo Bakery USA carries it, one never knows.  =)
    Wow, most I've ever done at one time was around 50# of venison sausage and I didn't want to look at any for a couple of weeks.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    This is so awesome.  Would you mind sharing some details of the gyro sausage @Sea2Ski?  I've never made sausage before and that one sounds right up my alley.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • abtaylor260
    Options
    That’s beautiful 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Looks like it was a great time. Would love to have joined. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.