Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First brisket...for the win!

Jcl5150Jcl5150 Posts: 117
edited August 11 in EggHead Forum
So I did my first brisket today.  I bought a 10.3 pound Prime packer from Sam’s Club.  I trimmed and then rubbed with Hard Core Carnivore Black last night so that I could get up at five and just light the Egg.  Put it on at 5:45, then wrapped it in butcher paper about 9:30 when the IT was 140.  I pulled it off at 2:30 when it probed like buttah and jiggled like jello. Let it rest, then FTC until six.  We had friends over for the feast, and my buddy even said it melted in his mouth.  The best compliment I got was that not one person felt the need to use bbq sauce!  I served it with a five cheese mac and cheese, corn on the cob, homemade coleslaw, and watermelon.  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, and especially lousubcap for walking me through it.  There are things I need to improve, like trimming especially, but overall I was excited by this first one.  Can’t wait for the next one!

Comments

• SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 4,025
    Great job! It’s all about enjoying the cook, sharing with friends, and having a good time. You seem to have checked every box. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 19,847
    Way to bring it home.  Congrats on the cook but more importantly the results as noted by @SciAggie.  I would take that outcome every time.  You set the bar up there as deservedly so. 
    Louisville;  "indeterminate Jim" here; L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 12,147
    Bravo! 👏 
  • StillH2OEggerStillH2OEgger Posts: 2,359
    Looks great!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Jcl5150Jcl5150 Posts: 117
    SciAggie said:
    Great job! It’s all about enjoying the cook, sharing with friends, and having a good time. You seem to have checked every box. 
    That’s the thing...it was a fun cook.  More fun than doing, say, a Boston butt.  Maybe because I’d always been too intimidated to do a brisket.
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 4,219
    Awesome awesome job!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GoooDawgsGoooDawgs Posts: 1,001
    Nothing like it!  Most fun cook you can have on a BGE!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • smokingalsmokingal Posts: 643
    Nice work!
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 5,073
    Great result.. Love your plated pic..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 7,278
    Strong work.  Great outcome.  That meal sounds like something I would devour.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 8,903
    There are few things in life better than knocking it out of the park with a brisket!  Congrats!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,957
    Nailed it brother... and to share it even better
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 8,903
    Not a surprise when you have the Brisket Commander @lousubcap in your hip pocket.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 14,150
    The best brisket is always the brisket you share with friends. Congrats on your first of many more to follow.

Frank mastered the helm on my initial voyage, step by step until delivering the goods. I have not had a better teacher in my life.

Congrats for such a fine looking meal.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • what temperature allowed you to create this masterpiece?
    Large BGE (2008) - Weber Summit (2018)
    210 TX
  • Jcl5150Jcl5150 Posts: 117
    edited August 14
    what temperature allowed you to create this masterpiece?
    I ran with a dome temperature of 260.
  • logchieflogchief Posts: 1,396
    Beautiful, nice work.  Bet you can't wait for the next one.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SmokeyLopeySmokeyLopey Posts: 145
    YukonRon said:
    Frank mastered the helm on my initial voyage, step by step until delivering the goods. I have not had a better teacher in my life.

Frank gave great advice/assistance/coaching/encouragement on a recent cook. Thanks @lousubcap and congratulations @Jcl5150!
  • glad your 1st brisky came out to your satisfaction!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009