Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BBQ Competition

Options

I am cooking at Whistle Stop Weekend here in Huntsville this weekend for the first time. we are handing out pulled pork for the peoples choice competition Saturday and turning in Chicken and Spare Ribs for the competition. any tips people have would be great, i have been doing alot of reading to get ready. just picked up $250 worth of meat at sams club cant wait. i will post pictures after the weekend.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options

One piece of advice......Pace yourself.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,050
    edited May 2019
    Options

Check on garnish requirements and what you can and can't use. Mist garnish if needed before turn in.

Sharpen any knives. Especially with cutting ribs.

Watch the sauce and be careful where it ends up.

Make sure your sauce sticks out. Don't have it taste like 5 other teams turning there's in. (Especially with commercial sauce)

Just some random thoughts on top of my head

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,362
    Options

My advice: Start drinking at 6:30AM like we did for Indy EggFest. :) We turned out good grub

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,810
    Options

Don't try anything new the day of the cook, stick to the basics remember they will be judging you off of 1 bite.....Make Sure It Is Cooked !!!

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

this is sound advice thanks, i am looking forward to Indy eggfest again.

Boiler Up!!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,872
    Options

I've hung with a team that has won a bunch of rib cooks. Squeeze Parkay and brown sugar is part of their success. In foil for about 90 minutes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Kent8621
    Options

no garnish per the rules for this one, i spent some time on the knives last night. i appreciate it.

Boiler Up!!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,050
    Options

Some more stuff off the top of my head when grabbing stuff when doing rib competitions:

Canopy/Canopy Weights

Chairs

Folding table (I run butcher paper over the top to make clean up easy)

Bucket/Rag/Soap

Cutting Boards/Knives

Latex Gloves

Cooler/Coolers

Spices/Rubs/Sauces

Grilling Utensils

Bluetooth Speaker

Spray Bottle For Liquids

Thermapen

Foil

Controller

Lump

Lighter/Weed Torch

Plate Setter/Grids

Paper Towels

Extra Grill To Make Food During The Competition For Yourself

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options

Just win!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options

+1 on the don't do any last minute changes! Go with what you know and have fun. If you don't enjoy the experience you're in the wrong gig.

Sudbury, Ontario
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,738
    Options

I've heard that Judges' taste for KCBS events tends to run on the sweet side. No personal experience to draw on, but may be something to consider re: sauce, etc.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    Options

Best advice right here ...we have a rising table but this a a great hack

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,545
    edited May 2019
    Options

Good luck..because that is what it is...

Several judging tables with different palates.

It's kinda like shooting a golf ball with a .22, which was hit from a moving train, traveling in the opposite direction.

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options

***Very Important*** - like mentioned above, you are cooking for one bite, not a plate of food. Go heavier on the flavor than normal. If you make a great plate of BBQ that someone at a backyard BBQ would go back for seconds, you will probably do bad in a competition. That one bite needs to have more flavor, enough where someone wants a few bites but can't eat the whole plate. There is a reason Aaron Franklin didn't place well when he went to some competitions.

You didnt specify, but I am assuming it is and ICBA local event. If so, like mentioned above, the judging is a crapshoot, probably a mix of some with judging experience and a some locals that are friends of the people hosting with no BBQ cooking/judging experience, so you are guessing what they like. Most inexperienced judges prefer a "fall off the bone" over a proper cooked rib. Error on the side of overcooking and I would definitely braise them to help. Judging process is they take one bite, then rate the bite on a scale of 1-10 (no criteria, just whatever number they want) then the add up the scores. Then it will go to a final table for the same process with different judges.

Some well known BBQ cooks I know that cook in ICBA, don't take them serious because of the random judging. This is where they experiment because they know they need the shock value to standout. They know with this approach they will probably get first place or last place, but their goal is not to place, it is to win it all. They have their set systems in place for KCBS since there are criteria to shoot for.

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Foghorn
    Options

^^^^^^^^

This. Very important. Overcook (a little) and overspice. The overcooked part becomes less of an issue by the time it reaches the final table as it has cooled down and contracted quite a bit.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Kent8621
    Options

thank you it is a KCBS competition, its the amateur side of things not the pro side but judged on the same rules although not certified judges.

Boiler Up!!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Think about is how far away are you from turn in. If you can pre-walk your route it will help in knowing how much time you have before turn in. Every minute counts and you don't want to be to soon or two late. Also have a way to keep the food warm as you carry it to the drop off tables.

Also a clock with a timer would help so you don't have to keep looking at your watch.

These are a few things I learned from helping my BIL. Looks like you have gotten good advice above as well. Good Luck and have fun.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

tiny, tiny bit of sour salt (citric acid) in the sauce will give it tang...experiment

Options

Cold sauce leaves brush strokes and leaves your meat looking like a corduroy texture. Heat your sauce up before applying.

Make sure you slice completely through your ribs before boxing. Seen someone get DQ’d for not enough ribs because two ribs were still slightly connected and counted as one. It cost him the grand championship (3 first place entries & 1 DQ).

Make sure there’s no foreign objects (like small pieces of foil) in your box.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options

This will be my fifth year cooking at whistlestop. Just be prepared for some randomness in the judging since the judges are amateurs as well. They get a 5 minute talk before they start giving scores so the scores are much more based on their personal preferences rather than the rules.

Are you doing a practice cook tomorrow? We’ll probably get started around 2pm (have to sneak in a round of golf in the morning). I’ll pm you or feel free to find You Don’t Make Friends With Salad.

Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,534
    Options

the first time Norah Grace and I did a comp, it was nerve racking. Did remember to pack everything....nope forgot the disinfectant wipes.

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Kent8621
    Options

thanks i will do that, we are the Smokin' Hawks, we are in spot 105/106 right on the main pathway. i will have a JJ George banner out there as well.

Boiler Up!!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options

Best of luck on the competition.

I have zero experiences to share, other than unknowingly (at the time) having cooked for a certified KCBS judge in our home, for a dinner party My Beautiful Wife hosted for her department at work.

I think the guy was BSing me and being kind, but for what it is worth, he said my brisket would do very well in a competition.

He mentioned, after a few glasses of wine, the first bite is everything. The one that brings the most of the flavors and desired texture, on that initial taste, wins.

Bring home the Bling, you are representing the BGE faithful.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Kent8621
    Options

thanks ron i appreciate it. we will see how it goes tomorrow, we have big storms moving in so it should be fun. seeing your derby posts takes me back to growing up there and all the parties on saturday. have a good weekend.

Boiler Up!!

• Foghorn
    edited May 2019
    Options

Outstanding. That's a great first outing. Actually that's a great outing at any time. Well done.

And that 'cue looks great.

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    Options

Great Results , that chicken turn in looks great

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian