Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Selling my Sous Vide

Options
I got the ANOVA sous vide (bluetooth) and the Camwear box (4.75 gallon) a few years ago, but I can count on 1 hand how many times I've used it (maybe 2-3 times). $100 for both. Think that's fair/any takers? 
Opelika, AL

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Never thought I’d be on the SV wagon, but I use it more than I ever thought I would....no I wouldn’t SV a steak, or a meal for 1 , but pre cooking for the masses it is great...maybe rethink its uses and hang on to it....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Can’t blame you if it’s not your thing. I used my anova to cook some frozen jalapeño brats. Put them in and let them run for two hours at 150 while I ran errands. Then when I got back I got the mini max really hot for the sear. Really really good. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Sous Vide is an amazing cooking technique. It's amazing how it can be used to produce technically perfectly cooked food totally devoid of the flavor of a traditionally cooked steak on the egg. I guess it's similar to photo copying the Mona Lisa.

On the positive side, a Sous Vide bath can be used to reheat pulled pork, it's totally awesome for that purpose.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    GregW said:
    Sous Vide is an amazing cooking technique. It's amazing how it can be used to produce technically perfectly cooked food totally devoid of the flavor of a traditionally cooked steak on the egg. I guess it's similar to photo copying the Mona Lisa.

On the positive side, a Sous Vide bath can be used to reheat pulled pork, it's totally awesome for that purpose.
    I understand what you are saying, but I have yet to use SV as the only method for steaks. BUT just getting them up to say 110º internal and then for a finish searing on a 600º to 700º egg for 30/30/30/30 for that great crust!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
     Thanks for offer. I just use a pot of water and can get the same results.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Interesting. I have two ANOVAs, the original pipe models and use them all the time. Steak in a CI pan, into the bag and water bath and then a finish sear in a CI pan. Same process for chops, lamb or pork. 
    I’ve been considering a third for those big gatherings. 

As noted above, reheating leftovers, PP specifically, SV shines. Good luck on selling, your price is reasonable. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    RRP said:
    GregW said:

I understand what you are saying, but I have yet to use SV as the only method for steaks. BUT just getting them up to say 110º internal and then for a finish searing on a 600º to 700º egg for 30/30/30/30 for that great crust!

I agree with you. I had discovered SV to 110º internal temp and finishing on the egg. It has been a while since I have used that method, I had forgotten how good it works.
    Thanks for reminding me that there are ways to use the SV that can yield results that rival traditional methods.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @brownbw Where are located ?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I could definitely do without mine but it is fun to break it out every once in a while. My favorite is the 24-48 beef roast cooks and like said above warming/reheating bbq leftovers 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Says Opelika, AL in his signature line
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Mine is still in the box. 😂 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Seems a little high given that model is discontinued and is on a lot of clearance shelves lately, but good luck with the sale. 

I use mine at least once a week, but I have little people and we eat at home most meals.

I also work from home so I have time to let it heat up and prep. I could totally see a lot of people not using it just because of the time constraint. 

It cooks the he!! out of some eggs tho!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    Like others have said - I use mine a lot more then I thought I would - especially when cooking for a crowd. Also very handy in defrosting/warming leftovers.

Used it this past weekend to get some steaks to 110 while also warming some frozen burgundy mushrooms. While those were going I prepped rolls and creamed spinach. Made it super easy to get everything to the table at the same time while still hot. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    200 Chicken Wings 

Awesome way for Bacon Burnt Ends

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I skipped the sous vide epidemic that occurred on here a year or so ago. I went straight to the Instant Pot.

Good luck.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I skipped the sous vide epidemic that occurred on here a year or so ago. I went straight to the Instant Pot.

You really need both!!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    Options
    If still available I am definitely interested. 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Aside from the usual,  my favorite use is for making dill and bread and butter pickles.  They are the best, most crispy pickles I have ever made and the process is extremely easy.  It's a big advance on high heat water bath canning methods.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Did anyone ever buy this thing or what?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    @brownbw Where are located ?
    Opelika, AL
    Opelika, AL
  • brownbw
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Started a new job and haven’t been on lately to check this! Sorry!  And yeah it’s still available. 
    Opelika, AL
  • brownbw
    Options
    divr71 said:
    If still available I am definitely interested. 
    See comment above, still available. 
    Opelika, AL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,402
    Options
    I am not going down the SV road but I just received a sales brochure (with a SRF brisket buy) that has a protein package that includes the ANOVA SV rig.  Obviously the new main-stream cooking process.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.