Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prosciutto maintenance (so far, so good)

Options

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Very very well done. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looks spectacular guys.  I see the weight is at 20 lbs.  Do you know what it was when you started it to figure out the % weight loss?  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Looks spectacular guys.  I see the weight is at 20 lbs.  Do you know what it was when you started it to figure out the % weight loss?  
    Mark, page 1: about 25%
    Options
    Keep up, man!
    Options
    This is fascinating for me. Our home we bought and we are trying to restore (send prayers and money) has a cellar that was used for this purpose at one time in its history, as many homes were in this area.

This is, without a doubt, one of the, if not the best posts, I have ever seen in this forum.

Thank you for sharing.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    That is less than we were expecting, particularly with the time it’s been hanging, but I think it reflects the (much) higher fat content of these legs.  There is a good 1.5” cap on the outside. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    20stone said:
    Update

That shot right there gives me goose bumps. It’s like seeing young Cindy Crawford in the Pepsi commercial. You can’t help but to stare and drool. Simply fantastic sir👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    20stone said:

Is that Myron Mixon? If it is, he’s looking rough ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    20stone said:

Is that Myron Mixon? If it is, he’s looking rough ;)
    Myron needs to cut back on the booze. Hard living ;) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    I officially hate you all.  By the way, I’ll be in Austin later this summer (hint hint).
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I officially hate you all.  By the way, I’ll be in Austin later this summer (hint hint).
    Come on down. We will save you some (maybe)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Nobody mentioned the knives?  Outstanding choice with the handles - beautiful knives.
  • 20stone
    Options
    Legume said:
    Nobody mentioned the knives?  Outstanding choice with the handles - beautiful knives.
    Thanks.  

I had been researching carvers a bit, and remembered one my mom (who passed a few years ago) had forever, and asked Spawn1 to ask for it when he was seeing my mom’s widower on his way to us.  They couldn’t tell which one I wanted (I wanted the one with more patina, all carbon), so he brought both.

My mom’s childhood home had pecan trees in the back yard, which I grew up climbing, so pecan is a sentimental favorite. The knife smith in Austin did a great job with them, and they are razor sharp.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Can confirm they are razor sharp. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Can confirm they are razor sharp. 
    And totally badass
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    20stone said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    That is less than we were expecting, particularly with the time it’s been hanging, but I think it reflects the (much) higher fat content of these legs.  There is a good 1.5” cap on the outside. 
    Yea, that is less than I would have thought it would have lost by now, but depending on all the variables that affect the rate, better slow than fast.
    would love to taste a slice of that.  
    Large and MiniMax

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Incredible.  Start to finish.
    Curing thread of the year!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Curing thread of the year(s)!  FTFY. :)

This one is over 2 years in the making. Seems like just yesterday when I was elbow deep in pig...
  • 20stone
    Options
    Spotted in London, a posh restaurant serving expensive STORE BOUGHT prosciutto....pffft.  I hope I am never so desperate. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @20stone you are such a prosciutto snob. :wink:
    Large and MiniMax

• 20stone
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    @20stone you are such a prosciutto snob. :wink:
    I think that is an accurate observation 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a whole leg of prosciutto that was on my counter for about a year, then in the garage fridge for maybe 2 years, including through one power failure where I had about 15 jars of Kim Chi explode.

It's packaged in it's original wrapping, unopened.  Safe?
    Options
    I have a whole leg of prosciutto that was on my counter for about a year, then in the garage fridge for maybe 2 years, including through one power failure where I had about 15 jars of Kim Chi explode.

It's packaged in it's original wrapping, unopened.  Safe?
    https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/25a74dc4-980d-4a4d-a9aa-9f6fcf43265b

I am pretty sure you are kidding, but if it was already cured and down to fighting weight when it got the heat shock.....maaaaayyyybeeee?

There are, however, better things to die from, so you might work your way down your bucket list first. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options
    Update
    ”Maintenance?”  Not so much anymore.  2.5 years in, and it’s time to break the seal. 

(Incision through the very tough skin)

(Reflecting it back. Skin saved for covering later)

(Fat cap exposed)

(Now we’re talkin’!)

(Soooo marbled)

More thoughtful reflections later, but now I’m going to have another glass of wine and watch fireworks with one of my good buddies (and a founding member of the Hairy Hog
    Club for Men)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That is some damn fine salty pig leg right there. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Been to Italy several times this year. Our store bought prosciutto doesn't touch the real stuff. If you need a taste tester let me know! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Been to Italy several times this year. Our store bought prosciutto doesn't touch the real stuff. If you need a taste tester let me know! 
    Can’t wait to get back. This is as far from store-bought as you can get (we raised and butchered the pigs). 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    20stone said:
    When last we spoke, our garage-butchered prosciuttos had been carefully packed, and moved to an undisclosed location:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1202264/charcutapalooza-long/p4

Well, the hour (or month, in this case) for our first one is drawing pretty close, (2 years on 1/1/19), and I have been a little worried about how slowly it’s been losing weight.  What MIGHT have happened would have been the meaty face, which has been covered in sugna (lard, rice flour and pepper), MIGHT have hardened (like the rind on cheese or salami), blocking the moisture from migrating out. 

There was only one way to find out - Go to the undisclosed location, scrape off the sugna, test, shave off the scabby bits (if necessary), reapply sugna, rehang.  Given the tenuous nature of our rental agreement, we took all the tools... like Dexter playing an away game - paper towels, knives (to scrape), fresh sugna, two sets of gloves (each), a trash bag, a scale (to check on progress) and a horse bone.

After a good scrape, we saw BEAUTIFUL, unscabby meat.  Maybe we should have a taste with a glass of wine. Man, it is really coming along. 

Fresh sugna applied to eliminate future scabby risk

Last, it needed a poke and a sniff to make sure things are good all the way through. 

Good times!

What’s @caliking doing drinking wine? No bourbon slushy available? 😉
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    20stone said:
    When last we spoke, our garage-butchered prosciuttos had been carefully packed, and moved to an undisclosed location:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1202264/charcutapalooza-long/p4

Well, the hour (or month, in this case) for our first one is drawing pretty close, (2 years on 1/1/19), and I have been a little worried about how slowly it’s been losing weight.  What MIGHT have happened would have been the meaty face, which has been covered in sugna (lard, rice flour and pepper), MIGHT have hardened (like the rind on cheese or salami), blocking the moisture from migrating out. 

There was only one way to find out - Go to the undisclosed location, scrape off the sugna, test, shave off the scabby bits (if necessary), reapply sugna, rehang.  Given the tenuous nature of our rental agreement, we took all the tools... like Dexter playing an away game - paper towels, knives (to scrape), fresh sugna, two sets of gloves (each), a trash bag, a scale (to check on progress) and a horse bone.

After a good scrape, we saw BEAUTIFUL, unscabby meat.  Maybe we should have a taste with a glass of wine. Man, it is really coming along. 

Fresh sugna applied to eliminate future scabby risk

Last, it needed a poke and a sniff to make sure things are good all the way through. 

Good times!

What’s @caliking doing drinking wine? No bourbon slushy available? 😉
    Looks like they are hiding out after hours at Home Depot waiting for lump to go on sale
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Every now and again I delude myself into believing I have some measure of culinary knowledge and skill. When that happens someone always posts something that makes me realize I am a small insignificant country hack that barely makes edible food. 
    Thanks for the reality check...

Dang that looks good. Thanks for posting. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon